• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

light of lunia Abuse?

Belzbet

First Post
Here is the spell "light of lunia" from spell compendium. Is there room for abuse?

LIGHT OF LUNIA
Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Celestia 1, cleric 1, sorcerer/
wizard 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target and Effect: You and up to
two rays; see text
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D) or
until discharged; see text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes; see text
You invoke the powers of good and you
begin to glow with the silver light of fabled
Lunia, the first layer of the Seven Mounting
Heavens of Celestia.
The silvery radiance created by this
spell emanates from you in a 30-foot
radius, and dim light extends for an
additional 30 feet.
Beginning one turn after you cast
this spell, you can choose to expend
some or all of the light of Lunia as a ray
of light. You must succeed on a ranged
touch attack with the ray to strike a
target. You can make a single ranged
touch attack that deals 1d6 points
of damage, or 2d6 points of damage
against undead or evil outsiders, with a
range of 30 feet. Spell resistance applies
to this attack. This dims your silvery
radiance to half (15-foot light, with dim
light for an additional 15 feet). You can
choose to fire one additional ray with
the same characteristics either on the
same round or on a subsequent round.
Firing the second ray quenches your
radiance and ends the spell.

The abuse may arise because it does not restrict the release of release of the rays by requiring the caster make an action before expending the ray. So, my question is: could one cast 2 or 3 or more lights and then expend them all in the same round doing massive damage in one round? yes one has to make ranged touchs with every ray but I could still do some impressive damage at low levels against outsiders and undead and all in ONE round. This isnt too powerful granted but I was wondering if the spell allows this?

Ashtagon

Adventurer
No, because each ranged touch attack is an attack action, so you'd have to do some action economy tricks to abuse it. Unless stated otherwise, a ranged touch attack is still an attack action, not a free action.

Belzbet

First Post
Yeah that normally applies but I think in this case there is an exception. That is because you can do TWO rays in ONE turn even at level 1. Just like MOST of the time a grapple check cost an attack, MOST of the time a ranged touch requires an attack. BUT SPELLS are not like that.

So, does this spell allow for abuse?

sheadunne

Explorer
We've always used it as a standard action to discharge the light regardless of the number of rays, much the same way scorching ray and other spells work. It would take a second standard action on your next turn to fire the second ray if you hadn't already used it in the previous round. Never had any issues with it. I don't think it would be over powered by allowing it to be cast as a swift or immediate action either. Color Spray and Sleep are still more effective 1st level spells. It's a good cleric spell though and I wish they hadn't cross listed it with wiz/sor

Vegepygmy

First Post
Yeah that normally applies but I think in this case there is an exception. That is because you can do TWO rays in ONE turn even at level 1. Just like MOST of the time a grapple check cost an attack, MOST of the time a ranged touch requires an attack. BUT SPELLS are not like that.
Yes, they are. This spell simply allows you to make up to two ranged touch attacks, same as you could with scorching ray, for example. Attacking still requires at least a standard action, unless specifically stated otherwise.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Isn't there a general rule that states that you cannot have multiple castings of the same spell in effect at the same time? I don't see how you could cast this spell upon yourself more than once to gain more than the 2 attacks.

Belzbet

First Post
. Attacking still requires at least a standard action, unless specifically stated otherwise.
That is the thing it doesnt state that it takes a standard action.From my reading you could expel light of lunia AND cast a regular spell as a standard action in the same round. It says, on your next round you can expend half of the lights brilliance to make a ray attack... There is no mention of standard action... I do not see why you couldnt expend your rays AND cast another spell in the same round... that is if I read the spell correctly... Also, I think you can cast two light spells on two different objects... same thing this spell is at core a light spell I can have two little orbs of lunia floating around... I dont think the rules deny me this power... So I think RUMBLETiGER's suggestion that you cant have two of these spells active at the same time is debatable...

Belzbet

First Post
We've always used it as a standard action to discharge the light regardless of the number of rays, much the same way scorching ray and other spells work. It would take a second standard action on your next turn to fire the second ray if you hadn't already used it in the previous round. Never had any issues with it. I don't think it would be over powered by allowing it to be cast as a swift or immediate action either. Color Spray and Sleep are still more effective 1st level spells. It's a good cleric spell though and I wish they hadn't cross listed it with wiz/sor

Thanks for the response... so youve used it in play this way... is this a hosue rule or do you figure it is covered by the rules? I ask because the spell actaully says in the spell description that you can fire the second ray on the same round you fire the first... hence my questions...

Belzbet

First Post
I guess my question is this: no matter logic, no matter other spells, no matter intent, no matter bad wording, does this spell allow for abuse as per RAW?

Belzbet

First Post
Yes, they are. This spell simply allows you to make up to two ranged touch attacks, same as you could with scorching ray, for example. Attacking still requires at least a standard action, unless specifically stated otherwise.

What I meant is that spells are not limited by your BAB. You can do mutiple ranged touch attacks in one round WITHOUT having a high BAB. Also, Also, schorching ray is instantaneous. Light of lunia has a duration that is dischargeable. I will look it may be a standard action to discharge a spell if that is the case you must use a standard ation to discharge light of lunia... Is it RAW that discharging a spell is a standard action?

Remove ads