• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Likes and Dislikes?

Zaran

Adventurer

Cantrips are very weak when compared to other at will attacks. High level spells are limited to 1 slot a day. Cantrips are limited to a finate number known. There are too many spells that require concentration. You HAVE to pick a flavor of wizard. Fighters have more stat increases. All this stuff was done for game balance when other classes got huge increases in power well beyond what spellcasters were nerfed to.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Like: Player creativity and GM arbitration are encouraged as far as "playing around" with the rules.

Dislike: That halfling artwork...jeez. Also no worgs or wolf riding goblins in the Monster Manual. Lack of should-be-free online support (ability to printout monster stat cards, spell cards, and other player aids to the game).

Like: Good range of attractive-to-play character types - when built on a number of variables (Race/Class/Background/archetype).

Dislike: Weird ‘balancing’ rules for Racial bonuses which make the Ability scores themselves seem a bit incongruous. Not a biggie though.

HobbitFan

Explorer
Like: the old school vibe stressing story and creativity. I'm really glad they've dialed back the mechanics and brought back narrative and RP to the forefront.

Dislike: WOTC's silence about D&D products after the Dungeon Master's Guide.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Like: streamlined, "color-first" rules.
Dislike: the 15-minute adventuring day is back with a vengeance.

Hereticus

First Post
I like the simplicity and the powering down of characters. But I would like to see more use of magic items, and arcane spellcasters were powered down too much.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Ok I gotta ask, what is the 15-minute adventuring day?
The spellcasters blow through all their spells in the first encounter of the day, then the party has to go back and take a long rest. So each adventuring day lasts only 15 minutes.

5e has some features to mitigate this (I anticipate replies like, "what about arcane recovery? and battlemaster dice? and the warlock? huh? huh?") but it can still be a big problem in some adventures.

the Jester

Legend
Dislike: the 15-minute adventuring day is back with a vengeance.

Wow, that's totally not my experience, though I'll grant that once the bard is out of 1st level spells, he wants a long rest even if he hasn't used up his bardic inspirations. But the rest of the party usually pushes them on, since they have day jobs 6 days of the week, so they need the three days of adventuring that they can pack in over the weekend to count. I've been amazed at how much of a difference "You have a job" has made for the pcs. It's awesome.

(Yes, my campaign's week is nine days long.)

Remove ads