• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Limited Wish - Swapping Spells Known?

the Jester

Legend
Scion said:
300xp is a hefty cost for what is not exactly a major effect.

Wow, a sorcerer changing his spells is a pretty major effect imho!! :)

Think about it: take limited wish and you suddenly know any lower level spell that you want. You just have to burn 300 xp to do it.

About to face a demon? Suddenly, you know dismissal.

About to enter extremely important negotiations? Suddenly, you know eagle's splendor. (Assuming you don't have an item of +4 cha by now.)

Need to get away before the relentless walls crush you? Teleport.

Ad infinitum.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
the Jester said:

Think about it: take limited wish and you suddenly know any lower level spell that you want. You just have to burn 300 xp to do it.
I don't think this is particularly unbalancing. Perhaps because I can't see a sorc spending a 7th-level spell and 300xp to swap a single known spell. Sure, he might do it a couple times to tighten up his spell choices, but I can't imagine him spending several 7th-level spells and thousands of xp to retool his spell list before every major battle.

Then again, perhaps my nonchalance is due to other rulings I would/do make. i.e. that you'd need to have a scroll of the spell you want to learn on-hand, the magic of which would be absorbed into the sorcerer through the limited wish.

So in order to learn teleport, he'd have to use a scroll of same. And at that point, if he just needs the spell for one emergency situation, he might as well just use the scroll. ;)

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
the Jester said:

About to face a demon? Suddenly, you know dismissal.

About to enter extremely important negotiations? Suddenly, you know eagle's splendor. (Assuming you don't have an item of +4 cha by now.)

Need to get away before the relentless walls crush you? Teleport.

Ad infinitum.

You know, that's exactly what Limited Wish does for you, *anyways*. :)

The difference is only, that you could use the spell more than once at the expense of one other spell you previously knew. So it would be beneficial in a situation, where a specific spell would be needed multiple times. Not sure, whether that could be abused... that's why I'm asking. :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
I don't think this is particularly unbalancing. Perhaps because I can't see a sorc spending a 7th-level spell and 300xp to swap a single known spell. Sure, he might do it a couple times to tighten up his spell choices, but I can't imagine him spending several 7th-level spells and thousands of xp to retool his spell list before every major battle.

Then again, perhaps my nonchalance is due to other rulings I would/do make. i.e. that you'd need to have a scroll of the spell you want to learn on-hand, the magic of which would be absorbed into the sorcerer through the limited wish.

So in order to learn teleport, he'd have to use a scroll of same. And at that point, if he just needs the spell for one emergency situation, he might as well just use the scroll. ;)

Hmm... that's a pretty good idea to limit it to non-abusive-ness. :)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads