List of All the Different Types of Elves

Phaoz

Explorer
Gez said:
I thought WotC lost the Blizzard license to Sword & Sorcery... Because WotC's Diablo conversion wasn't much good; while S&SS's Everquest RPG is a more convincing example of a computer game adapted to the d20 mechanics.

yes but Sword & Sorcery have have apperently licensed the D&D logo from WotC as it apperes in the adds for Warcraft.

Gez

First Post
Elves of KoK are the dark, gray, high, wild, and wood ones, but they are different in statistics. Gray and dark are especially different. Other racial traits (such as bonuses to skills) are different too.

Knight Otu

First Post
If I may return to the Scarred Lands for a moment (rather late, I admit)...

The drendari are the dark elves of the Scarred Lands. Embittered over the near loss of their god due to "treachery" by the dwarves of Burok Torn, they turned (lawful) evil. They have a certain knack for tatoo magic and for constructs.

The wood elves are a bit different from other wood elves on other worlds, but I don't remember specifics.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
it would be nice, as these threads become more complete, if filby or someone collected all the lists and posted them in a single thread for the sake of ease in locating it. :)

BTW, i started a thread over here to attract attention; bump it up as you see fit. :D

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I see no need to discriminate based on who published the material. A DM populating his homebrew world is going to use an idea based on how well it meshes with his conception of the world, not based on who holds the copyrights. Completeness is definitely a plus in a list like this.

Estlor

Explorer
Filby said:
Here's as complete list of subraces as I can come up with, based on what the folks here have posted and my own sources, by campaign setting:

Mystara:
- Aquarendi (aquatic elves)
- Blacklore elf (magic-users whose culture I believe died out in ancient Blackmoor; placed in the Hollow World by the Immortals to preserve their culture)
- Ee'ar (same as the avariel of other worlds)
- Forest elf (the most common subrace; essentially the equivalent of high elves)
- Gentle folk (primite elves found in the Hollow World)
- Icevale elf (primitive elves found in the Hollow World)
- Savage Coast elf (native to the western lands of the Savage Coast, fully integrated into human society)
- Schattenalfen (evil shadow elf offshoot)
- Shadow elf (pale-skinned subterranean elves with a strong aversion to sunlight; recently conquered the forest elf kingdom of Alfheim; not really evil but very xenophobic)
- Water elf (pale-skinned, seafaring elves with a mercantile streak; primary inhabitants of the Minthorad Guilds)

You're so close... but missing something. First there are the so-called "Southern Elves" that inhabit Belcadiz in Glantri. I'd have to check my Glantri GAZ to see what the OD&D stat difference was, but they had more of a spanish culture. Second there are the Eldar, mentioned in the Dragonking of Mystara series of novels (they never appeared in statistics form). Supposedly they were a race of "proto-elves" from which both the current elves and the dragons sprang and could take a small dragon form. What few that are left live with the dragons in Norworld.

Filby

First Post
OK, I'll update my list with the Mystaran elves... thanks a bunch, Estlor. :)

Hehe... actually, Boz, that's where I got just about everything on my lists, but thanks. ;)

By the way, if anyone could clue me in to any unusual elven subraces from Mystara beyond the Known World (Norwold and beyond, the southern or eastern continents, etc.), I'd be much obliged.

Last edited:

Remove ads