D&D 3E/3.5 List of standard DCs by level for 3.5e?

Jared Espley

First Post
I did a little searching but nothing came up so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a list of what might be a typical easy, medium, or hard DC for a typical PC of a particular level for 3.5e. I realize that there is a lot more variation than in 4e but I still think that benchmarks can be approximated. Perhaps if nothing turns up, I'll throw together such a table myself but I thought I would ask first.

Thanks!

I did a little searching but nothing came up so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a list of what might be a typical easy, medium, or hard DC for a typical PC of a particular level for 3.5e. I realize that there is a lot more variation than in 4e but I still think that benchmarks can be approximated. Perhaps if nothing turns up, I'll throw together such a table myself but I thought I would ask first.

Thanks!
You mean like DMG p.93?

Jared Espley

First Post
It's on page 31 of the 3.5e. Probably pg. 93 in the 3.0e one.

That's close but I was hoping for something more abstract ala the 4e standard DCs. For example, something to let you know that a DC 35 would be a breeze/50-50/hard for a typical 15th level character who has some proficiency in the skill. Obviously, I could try to guessimate the results for this particular set of numbers but I was wondering if someone had set up a table covering all the permutations.

Thanks!

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
For some reason when I first read your post, I thought you were asking about the ECL or CR of an encounter. You're not asking that, right?

DC like the difficulty of a skill check or a save or something?

Since, in the example of skill checks, a skill can have ranks maxed at character level +3 for class skills and half that for cross class, that's one benchmark to measure DCs to level. However, that assumes maxing ranks in a specific skill, and that will vary by the amount of skillpoints depending on class, the amount of class skills depending upon class, and the individual player's distribution of skillpoints, so with all these variables, I'm not sure if a reliable standard could be determined. I could make a serious Rogue that has chosen to not invest and ranks in Open Lock, due to prioritizing my skillpoints into other things. I could have a level 20 Monk that will never open a lock to save his life.

As for Saves vs. DC's, it's a bit simpler because your save will either be good or poor depending upon your character class. DC's vs FORT. saves could likely be figured by level, but additionally by class. A Fighter's DC FORT save by level will not be the same as a Wizard's FORT save by level, even if their levels are the same.

Finally, stat distribution will vary PC by PC, and those stats will affect things like skills and saves.

I don't play 4e, so I'm not sure what you're trying to compare, but I get the impression that you're not going to find a simple DC to level comparison.

Last edited:

Oryan77

Adventurer
I had asked for something similar a year or so ago. Someone told me about a 3rd party book that went into detail about the mechanics of D20 rules.

I can't remember at all what the name of that book was called (sorry). I can't seem to find my pdf of it. Maybe someone here might know what I'm talking about. I would recognize the name if I saw it.

I used it just to copy the "average scores" portion into my DMing notes. Here is the info I have:

(Average Scores Per Level)
(ECL or CR) ("Average DC for CR") ("Poor Save") ("Good Save") (Average AC)

1st lvl DC 12 -1 4 15
2nd lvl DC 13 -1 5 16
3rd lvl DC 14 1 6 18
4th lvl DC 15 1 7 19
5th lvl DC 15 1 7 20
6th lvl DC 16 3 9 22
7th lvl DC 17 3 9 23
8th lvl DC 18 3 10 24
9th lvl DC 18 5 11 26
10th lvl DC 19 5 12 27
11th lvl DC 20 5 12 28
12th lvl DC 21 7 14 30
13th lvl DC 21 7 14 31
14th lvl DC 22 7 15 32
15th lvl DC 23 9 16 34
16th lvl DC 24 9 17 35
17th lvl DC 24 9 17 36
18th lvl DC 25 10 18 38
19th lvl DC 26 10 18 39
20th lvl DC 27 10 19 40

Sekhmet

First Post
16 + ECL is hard.
14 + ECL is above average.
12 + ECL is average.
10 + ECL is below average.
8 + ECL is easy.

These only work for skill check averages.
Spell DCs target saves, of course, which means different characters will blow through different target points easier than others.

kitcik

Adventurer
16 + ECL is hard.
14 + ECL is above average.
12 + ECL is average.
10 + ECL is below average.
8 + ECL is easy.

These only work for skill check averages.
Spell DCs target saves, of course, which means different characters will blow through different target points easier than others.

My thri keen has a +79 jump check at ECL 14 with no magical boosts.

While I like the idea of this thread, I am not sure how well it would work in practice at levels above 10 or 12.

kitcik

Adventurer
[MENTION=98256]kitcik[/MENTION] Sure, lets bring in the +30 racial modifier exception when considering a general rule.

In case you didn't notice, that's +49 without racial.

Do you really think DC 36 is "hard" at level 20?

Any skill that you have maxed and that uses your main attribute will succeed a DC 36 automatically (even on a 1) without magic or racial modifiers. Anything you care about, you will have magic for.

This rule of thumb breaks down at higher levels, that's all I am saying.

Last edited:

Remove ads