Little Changes with Big Flavor

d4

First Post
Altalazar said:
How about dropping in the magical equivalent of the internet? Every peasant can communicate in a bulletin board of magical communication - it certainly would make politics more interesting (and make oppression that much harder).
i had an idea like this many years back. kind of a reverse-Shadowrun -- instead of fantasy tropes in a cyberpunk world, it'd have cyberpunk tropes in a fantasy world.

i thought of using the astral plane as the analog for "cyberspace" or the net. astral projection becomes the analog for "hacking" or surfing the net. just like people store information on computers that can be accessed via the net, people in this world who wanted to store secret information would build libraries in astral space. there would be instant communication via astrally-linked crystal balls or mirrors.

big merchant houses and noble families take the place of cyberpunk's megacorporations. magic items substitute for cyberware, etc., etc.

i actually don't care much anymore for using modern or sci-fi elements in a fantasy world, so i haven't thought about this idea in years.

~Johnny~

First Post
Is this a book people want to see? More importantly, is this a book people might buy? What in particular would you like to see in such a book?

Yes. More precisely, it's the kind of thing I'd download as a PDF. Perhaps each page could flesh out a single concept, breaking out like this:

Fluff: explain the idea and variations on it
Crunch: provide stats to show how a cosmetic change might affect mechanics
References: a short bibliography of relevant resources

On the other hand, that would take a lot of work, and the list's current format is already imagination-sparking. Maybe you could just flesh out each idea into a single paragraph, then work with the EN folks to combine it with one of the adventure seed threads as a short free download for DMs.

WSmith

First Post
This is probably the most useful thread I have seen in EN World. I remember copying it to the hard drive before my first exodus here. Now to go back to the earlier pages and see what I had written. ;)

Remove ads