Living Supers - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I know people do it, and I know some people will read things even in SBLOCKs labeled "Private", so I just don't post Private info at all and keep it in my head or e-mail to Judges as necessary. Personally, I generally won't do it simply because I want my characters' reactions to be genuine. Similarly, it prevents the question of the unfair or cheap auto-recognition of the other person's stuff (I have better examples for a D&D game, but in M&M, it would be something like automatically knowing another character's powers or just the immediate correct assumption that they used Power X that you know they have, rather than being more realistically confused at the result).

Salix

First Post
I read the ones for characters in my games. I glance at the new characters to get an idea of what type of character they are when they first appear. Now that there are more GMs I don't read the backstory on characters. That way I'm learning while my character is. I have no idea what Marie or Gus can do. I do remember that Scout is a teleporter, and I know Dr. Archeville is a gadgeteer.

rgordona

Explorer
I almost invariably read Sblocks marked private or GM, and I would expect others to read what I put there even if it is not addressed to them. (Maybe I am just nosey)

There is always a danger that OOC knowledge will sneak across and become IC knowledge, but I think the ability to separate those two things is an important player skill. There will always be OOC knowledge I have that the character does not, mostly world mechanics and own powers but not limited to that. I have never found that denying myself OOC knowledge really helps play the character well; careful delineation in my mind works much better. In fact avoiding OOC knowledge where possible may hinder me as it gives the false impression that I don't need to think so carefully about what the character knows, and how his reactions to new knowledge might be different to my reaction to new knowledge. (The knowledge is not new to me, so I am not blindsided by being surprised.)

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
I actually feel guilty if I don't read everything... I figure they wouldn't have written it if they didn't want it read!

I usually use "private" information as an excuse when I just don't feel like reading something, though I still feel guilty about it. :)

I do, of course, try very hard to make IC and OOC knowledge separate. It's impossible to completely separate them, of course, and anyone who says they can is mistaken or lying.

Salix

First Post
rgordona said:
I almost invariably read Sblocks marked private or GM, and I would expect others to read what I put there even if it is not addressed to them. (Maybe I am just nosey)
This is something I try really hard not to do in the actual games I'm in. It takes osme of the fun out of it for me.

Rystil Arden

First Post
rgordona said:

Interesting. Personally I consider that extremely bad form, although most people who do so claim that they don't, and I have a lot of respect for people who at least up and admit it. The way I tested for the people who lie about reading the SBLOCKs is complicated, but my results showed that about 30% of people read at least some of the forbidden SBLOCKs. Thus, if I really want to keep something secret, I just don't post it anywhere.

Rystil Arden

First Post
rgordona said:
Its not that worthy of respect to own up to something I do not consider to be a sin. :>
We obviously have very different playing styles, then ;)

I figure it is just common courtesy to not read something that another player or the GM specifically tells me not to read. In some situations, it is tantamount to cheating (for a simple example, imagine a scenario where the adventure is to find the mole, and you know that one player is the mole. The GM writes SBLOCKs to each player, and all the SBLOCKs are filled with "Nothing here. Please respond with a blank SBLOCK" except for the one to the mole, which carries a correspondance)

LogicsFate

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
The way I tested for the people who lie about reading the SBLOCKs is complicated, but my results showed that about 30% of people read at least some of the forbidden SBLOCKs.

Wow, you have a test? I'd love to know how that works. As for Bad form, I tend to agree but how far does it go.
Would you say... Consider going to a game that's come and gone and open up everything to find out what the heck was really going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads