• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Living Supers - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathfinderq1

First Post
hero4hire said:
I may need a replacement Resolute for my restarting Great Iridium Con Game as Bront is taking a hiatus from the boards.

Any interest?

I'd be willing to step in, if a new player with a PL 8 energy projector would fit in. Just let me know. With Boosted Flight, Spitfire could be there relatively quickly, and she could be briefed "in the air".

-Matthew

Shayuri

First Post
Hero - That's basically it in a nutshell. The Grimoire acts as both a magic teacher (in its capacity as Sidekick) and a source of magical knowledge (in its capacity as a Device). With that in mind, the Restricted feat is a very good idea. :)

As for the Area Autofire, the concept of the spell is that it conjures a momentary spectral dragon with multiple heads, each one of spits fire within that cone...thus the spell fills an area with a whole bunch of little independently targeted fireballs.

I can see how that might be a bit wonky though, so if it's illegal, I can easily change the effect to something else. There's no lack of modifiers to swap Autofire out with. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Shayuri said:
Hero - That's basically it in a nutshell. The Grimoire acts as both a magic teacher (in its capacity as Sidekick) and a source of magical knowledge (in its capacity as a Device). With that in mind, the Restricted feat is a very good idea. :)

As for the Area Autofire, the concept of the spell is that it conjures a momentary spectral dragon with multiple heads, each one of spits fire within that cone...thus the spell fills an area with a whole bunch of little independently targeted fireballs.

I can see how that might be a bit wonky though, so if it's illegal, I can easily change the effect to something else. There's no lack of modifiers to swap Autofire out with. :)

Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah, that dragon thing sounds almost exactly like Sierra's Phantasmal Surge--I ran out of reasonable extras to add on it, too, so I just linked it with Confusion instead of the whole Autofire thing.

Master Pelle

First Post
Shayuri said:
I have the crunch for a submission more or less done in a first draft...any chance I could get some of you gurus to take a peek and make sure I'm not making any egregious errors, or missing out on some good opportunities for better performance?

The basic concept is that of a wizard who has mastered some lower power spells (those that aren't in the array), but still relies on a grimoire for the more advanced spells (the array). One possible tripping point is that the grimoire is ALSO a sentient Construct, purchased as a Sidekick. Not sure if that works, ruleswise, though I can't see an immediate problem...I'm paying for it twice, basically. Once as a Device, and once as a Sidekick, for separate areas of function. Anyway, all help is appreciated!

Hmmm... It seem your character is based on the anime Demonbane right?
You could add Power Loss drawbacks to show that your powers is depending on your sidekick or the sidekick could have the magic powers with Affect Other extras.

Talk about the sidekick... How do you determine your sidekick PL? I have read severals time on the Sidekick feat but never figure it out. Should you determine your sidekick's PL as PC (Example that your PC will be PL 10 when you have least 150pp) or NPC (Example that your NPC will be PL 10 if your total Dmg and Acc/Tou and Def become 20)?

Shayuri

First Post
I've never seen Demonbane. Is there a concept like this in it?

Anyway, the PL of a Sidekick is equal to the number of points spent on it, I believe. 10 point spend on Sidekick = PL 10 Sidekick. That could be misleading, of course.

Especially in this case, since it's Cassandra that casts the spells in all cases. It's just that she can cast MORE spells when she's in possession of the book. And the book just happens to also be her sidekick. With that in mind, making the "extra" spells she casts subject to the Device rules seems accurate, since it's still her doing the casting.

The Grimoire itself has no real powers. It's mainly there for amusing RP, and to lend its expertise on several knowledge skills and knowledge-based feats.

Jalinth

First Post
Create your sidekick as an independent character with (rank × 5) power points, and
subject to the campaign’s power level limits

This suggests to me that your PL limit is the same as your characters PL.

hero4hire

Explorer
Master Pelle said:
Hmmm... It seem your character is based on the anime Demonbane right?
You could add Power Loss drawbacks to show that your powers is depending on your sidekick or the sidekick could have the magic powers with Affect Other extras.

Power Loss is not appropriate combined with Device. It would have to be one or the other.

rgordona

Explorer
Master Pelle said:
Talk about the sidekick... How do you determine your sidekick PL? I have read severals time on the Sidekick feat but never figure it out. Should you determine your sidekick's PL as PC (Example that your PC will be PL 10 when you have least 150pp) or NPC (Example that your NPC will be PL 10 if your total Dmg and Acc/Tou and Def become 20)?

This is a misunderstanding. 150 pp does not mean PL10 for PCs. PCs power level is determined exactly the same way as NPCs - Dmg+Atk+Tou+Def =2xPL. (The highest Skill or save or Ability score might also determie power level if they are higher.)

But the point is that 150pp is a completle seperate limit to PL you could build a PL10 character with 50pp it is just recomended that for a good game pp=15xPL.

Velmont

First Post
I'm gone dancing for a week-end and I see LS in a boom. Nice to see such activity. Welcome to the new players.

I've been thining of something while posting in Iridium. As CPU is an electricity control character, would it be possible for him to have a Device as an Alternate power of his Electricity Control power? In other word, he focus using his Electricity Control Power to feed in energy a device (ok, it wouldn't be really Kyoto approved device, but could make some sense with the powers of the concept of the character).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
I'm gone dancing for a week-end and I see LS in a boom. Nice to see such activity. Welcome to the new players.

I've been thining of something while posting in Iridium. As CPU is an electricity control character, would it be possible for him to have a Device as an Alternate power of his Electricity Control power? In other word, he focus using his Electricity Control Power to feed in energy a device (ok, it wouldn't be really Kyoto approved device, but could make some sense with the powers of the concept of the character).
I would say from my understanding that the answer is absolutely yes. In fact, isn't that actually what we're doing temporarily for Ionian Dreams? (he has the Japanese waveform emitter as an alt, right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads