Living Supers/M&M - Proposals for the Origin

Corvus Coronoides

First Post
I'd suggest setting both headquarters in FICTIONAL minor population centers, with just enough infrastructure support to handle a group of people the size of each team. (I LOVE the names Guardian and Paladin!)

I've found that, whenever you set a game in a real city, you get a player who knows the city better than the GMs, and you end up getting cases of "I know this really obscure shop where you can buy XXXX no questions asked", or "I know this great park which has the ultimate place to hide". The GM either has to get railroaded by the player and allow whetever the player has said, or the reality of the game gets decreased for the player when the GM says "NOT IN MY GAME !"

JUst my $.02

-Chris

Kylara

First Post
The problem that small towns cause is the fact that they are so remote, no real climb close by for people to fight, sorta defeats part of the fun in being a super hero, so you need to set it in a Major city just to defeat the 'Anytown USA, nothing happens here' issue. Not all PCs are going to be continent spanning heros, and having a place that is just large enough for the base makes that kinda hard.

The issue with not in my backyard is irrelevant, because the DMs and Judges wont put up with it. We need somewhere that is a major city and has landmarks that people can visualize and at least be a little familiar with, besides, in New York, you most likely could find anything anyway. The UN is already established along the Eastern Seaboard and it makes sense that they would locate any new UN facilities in a somewhat convenient location, besides, putting the Taskforce HQ in a major city that is known the world over means a heck of a lot more publicity and exposure for the team.

I guess we could always pull a Metropolis, and say that its another major city to avoid the not in my backyard syndrome, but we really cannot have it be small town since that really excludes certain types of heros and adventures that are otherwise valid for the Campaign World.

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
It was pointed out to me that colors work well when you consider using the Primary Colors as the primary groups.

Setting is a little tough. I think realistically, the east and west coast win out. That is just where everything is. Now do we go with an actual city, abandoned military base, fictional city just outside of a real city? As far as tactically, they would be in the mid US near no major populations. This is comic books (for the most part) so I think we go with near a major city, slightly away from the major population on one of the coasts.

Maybe a small island privately owned until the group needed a base? A former research facility that one of the sponsors had owned? I am thinking along the lines of Teen Titans or the Ultimates.

Did the meteor cause any oceanic disturbances? Create a small island off one of the coasts? That would be fitting.

Kylara

First Post
I think pulling an Ultimates might work the best, ie building a base on an Island in the middle of New York Harbor, or another city along the same vein. The island could have been publicly or privately owned, and simply donated to the cause, whichever works I guess.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
So to summarize on some points:

- Missions are TaskForces and are designated by colors.

- The media and others have adopted the use of the term or phrase "Resolutes" when refering to Task Force members in general.

Still up for debate but generally agreed upon:
- The Headquarters is most likely on the east coast on an island near a major city.

Additional questions to discuss:
- actual headquarters location and name
- and much, much more!! :)

Keia

Phoenix

First Post
Keia said:
So to summarize on some points:

- Missions are TaskForces and are designated by colors.

- The media and others have adopted the use of the term or phrase "Resolutes" when refering to Task Force members in general.

Still up for debate but generally agreed upon:
- The Headquarters is most likely on the east coast on an island near a major city.

Additional questions to discuss:
- actual headquarters location and name
- and much, much more!! :)

Keia

Ok then, time to throw in my pieces.

Headquarters...

Simply I like the idea of something remote and something central, two headquarters really. One is the fast responce area inside the city, while the other is built in an out-of-the-way area, like a Fortress of Solitude (the private island idea is always a good one).

Oh, and to clarify my question, I'd just like to see one posting (perhaps the first) that is updated with all the current information that has been decided on, or is yet to be determined, rather than fishing through a bunch of posts.

Bront

The man with the probe
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the island idea, mostly from a manor that transportation is an issue then for many heroes. If we're not going to have corperate transportation (Other then a rental car, or some equivilent), then getting to and from an island could be an issue. You're better off with it being on a coast if you realy want water. I still think Kansas City, or an abandoned base near by.

If you don't want KC, then sone place on the coast in New Jersey is good, far enough from NY to not be in it, close enough to get stuff from it.

BTW, can I officialy suggest we term the campaign "The Resolutes: A Living Supers Campaign"? That sounds so much better than just Living Supers.

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
BTW, can I officialy suggest we term the campaign "The Resolutes: A Living Supers Campaign"? That sounds so much better than just Living Supers.

Sounds good to me.

From an Aussie I actually don't care where it is set in the States, simply because I wouldn't know much of it anyway. A fictious city on the coast would be more than great for the people that don't know the cities that the campaign may be set it.

Saying that, it is still a simply matter to set an adventure in New York or Kansis City, just the base isn;t there.

Corvus Coronoides

First Post
Phoenix said:
From an Aussie I actually don't care where it is set in the States, simply because I wouldn't know much of it anyway. A fictious city on the coast would be more than great for the people that don't know the cities that the campaign may be set it.

Saying that, it is still a simply matter to set an adventure in New York or Kansis City, just the base isn;t there.

1/ I LOVE "The Resolutes" as a campaign name

2/ Ballarat ? I'm in Wallan ! We're practically neighbours !

3/ Location of the Base:

One thing that I think needs to be considered regarding accessibility of the base. Since the UN are funding the group and providing the base and general gear, are they also providing transport along the lines of the Avengers Quinjets or JLU's Javelins ?

If some form of transport is going to be provided (Even possibly up to the equivalent of the JLU's teleporting thingy in the Watchtower), the location of the base becomes a lot less relevant. The Island base (a la The Ultimates Triskelion) or a remote base in Kansas become a lot less of a problem.

-Chris

Keia

I aim to misbehave
A possibility:

New fletchling hero . . . called Fortune, he had decided, headed into San Fransisco (or any other major city for that matter). He had heard that the Resolutes were recruiting in this area and a chance to better control his abilities . . . as well as make a buck or two . . . had crossed his mind. Fortune headed over to the convention center where efficient and official U.N. task force individuals were handling the dozens of people that had shown up that day.

Detailed medical exams and interviews were handled and Fortune seemed to pass. Finally, an important looking person approached and informed him in a hard voice, "Congratulations, son, looks like you've made the cut . . . so far. We think you would be a good addition to the Resolutes, but we need to be certain. Better, more thorough tests can be completed at our headquarters than at this temporary area. Take this pin. It is the locator beacon for a point to point teleporter as well as a localized translator. Activate the signal and someone will transport you to HQ. If you decide to leave, activate it again and you will be returned to the spot you left."

Fortune had heard of Resolute Hall, the famed headquarters of the resolutes, but he had no idea where it was. There were always rumors in the magazines and internet that it was in space or under New York . . . or even on Atlantis, which had somehow risen from the bottom of the ocean.

Fortune accepted the pin, and an administrator was to him almost instantly, having him sign forms, waivers, etc. When he was finished, Fortune looked around to fix his location in his mind. He didn't want to wonder where he was should he want to come back.

Fortune pressed the activator and the room suddenly had one less person in it. Fortune had just been transported to Resolute Hall.

Keia
(Taking the name Fortune ;))

Remove ads