Living Supers/M&M - Proposals for the Origin

Kylara

First Post
Not sure how I feel about such pin point(pun definitely intended) teleportation technology so rapidly as it would have major effects, I think something on the order of Javalins or quinjets would be better at least to start off with. We could even make it an adventure to go up against a Mad Scientist using a teleporter to do crime, or something. If everyone wants teleporters, its ok I guess, I'd just prefer to at least start out a bit slower in that regard.

I would point out a few things about your exceprt Keia
If dozens of people are showing up to a sign up in one city, then there are most likely going to be thousands of supers if you can have dozens all in and around one area, not the couple hundred worldwide.

There are actually two bases, and it can't be very famed yet if the first base has just gotten up and running and ready to start recruiting people for the taskforce. There are no Original 7, no front line heros in the setting yet, we are they, we are them, the Heros, or at least we will be when we get our feet under us.

Keia
(Taking the name Fortune )

Noted :D

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Kylara,

I never said there that the pin did the point to point teleportation, just that it was a locator beacon ;). There's a method here, and I'm going to wait for more input before I discuss further anything else you commented on :)

Keia

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Ahhh, heck with it. I'll continue.

To answer Kylara's comments:

Kylara said:
If dozens of people are showing up to a sign up in one city, then there are most likely going to be thousands of supers if you can have dozens all in and around one area, not the couple hundred worldwide.
I never said they were heroes, I said they were people applying. There are technicians, doctors, trainers, etc. as well as the occasional hero, not to mention the ones that 'think' they have powers, etc.

Kylara said:
There are actually two bases, and it can't be very famed yet if the first base has just gotten up and running and ready to start recruiting people for the taskforce. There are no Original 7, no front line heros in the setting yet, we are they, we are them, the Heros, or at least we will be when we get our feet under us.
It doesn't matter if there are one or two bases. There is no mention of original seven, front line heros or anything of the sort.

Of course there is media publicity, it's in the original proposal. Of course there are going to be people that wnat to join, that have heard all of the great things that the Resolutes have or will have - even if its just media speculation or internet musings.

Kylara said:
Not sure how I feel about such pin point(pun definitely intended) teleportation technology so rapidly as it would have major effects, I think something on the order of Javalins or quinjets would be better at least to start off with. We could even make it an adventure to go up against a Mad Scientist using a teleporter to do crime, or something. If everyone wants teleporters, its ok I guess, I'd just prefer to at least start out a bit slower in that regard.
Just to put them all in one place. Quinjets are tens of millions of dollars - Iron man once made a comment on the cost of one of them and it was high. Modern jets are very expensive. A locator beacon with a single teleporter (machine or individual) would be significantly less cost. If someone wants to steal the pin that's great! They've committed a crime and you know right where they're at to teleport in and apprehend them. :)

Keia

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Bront said:
BTW, can I officialy suggest we term the campaign "The Resolutes: A Living Supers Campaign"? That sounds so much better than just Living Supers.

Works for me. Has a pretty cool sound to it.

I kind of like the idea of the team being based in Jersey. CLose enough to NY but not right on top of everything there. Perhaps a large abandoned faciclity on the coast?

I am cool with the teleporter in association with locator beacons. Your pin gets destoryed in battle, looks like you are walking back to base! A mass transport wouldn't be bad. An experimental plane that has been donated for final testing and publicity?

Kylara

First Post
It doesn't matter if there are one or two bases. There is no mention of original seven, front line heros or anything of the sort.

yea, sorry about that, I was just kinda consolidating all the replies I was giving, here and email wise, sorry if that wasn't clear. I didn't mean to suggest you had said anything about it here, I just thought I should throw it out there in general.

Just to put them all in one place. Quinjets are tens of millions of dollars - Iron man once made a comment on the cost of one of them and it was high. Modern jets are very expensive. A locator beacon with a single teleporter (machine or individual) would be significantly less cost. If someone wants to steal the pin that's great! They've committed a crime and you know right where they're at to teleport in and apprehend them.

This sort of assumes the technology is availible and proven (not to mention safe), which was actually my point, not really cost.

Of course there is media publicity, it's in the original proposal. Of course there are going to be people that wnat to join, that have heard all of the great things that the Resolutes have or will have - even if its just media speculation or internet musings.

I guess we don't think of the word famed the same way, I didn't mean to suggest that there was no publicity, you could probably tell from my emails that I think the thing would be very hyped. I just connect the word famed to something that has been famous for awhile, Mount Rushmore, the White House, etc. Not really meaning to argue, just clarifying my thought process really, sorry if I gave the wrong impression there.

I think overall the idea of teleporters and secret bases does the same exact thing as smalltownitis, they remove the heros from the action, make them remote. The purpouse of setting the base in a major city(or on the outskirts of one) is that heros can find crime in the city, bank robberies, super villains, they aren't just a super army ready to swoop down when the big red phone rings but never there otherwise. It allows for more localized heros, having roots etc.

Velmont

First Post
For the resolute name, I have no problem.

For the teleporter thing, I would suggest to limit it. I don't knwo how it would have been discovered, but I would tell that it has to be yet work on. Limits could be:

The teleporter device has a great limit, it can only teleport from the device, not to it. So, a team could use it to have a fast response adn teleport directly on an incident site, but would have t wait for the jet to come back, or walk back.

Or could be: Teleportation can only be made from one device to the other. Such device are huge and connot be carried easily. The UN have been financing such device and you can now teleport from/to any capital city member of the UN. Supers will have to find another mean of transportation after that.

Phoenix

First Post
Velmont said:
For the resolute name, I have no problem.

For the teleporter thing, I would suggest to limit it. I don't knwo how it would have been discovered, but I would tell that it has to be yet work on. Limits could be:

The teleporter device has a great limit, it can only teleport from the device, not to it. So, a team could use it to have a fast response adn teleport directly on an incident site, but would have t wait for the jet to come back, or walk back.

Or could be: Teleportation can only be made from one device to the other. Such device are huge and connot be carried easily. The UN have been financing such device and you can now teleport from/to any capital city member of the UN. Supers will have to find another mean of transportation after that.

Personally I am not a bit fan of Teleporters, and you see very few of them in comics anyway. Why? They are too easy and bypass a lot of problems that the Supers have to deal with. If teleporters are available for everything, then you can put the base in Hicksville and it wouldn't matter. If the teleporters were only available for certain missions, then why bother? Just allow alternate time for other transportation within the scope of the adventure.

Personal teleportation through powers is one thing, teleporting en masse is another. I vote against this.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Kylara said:
This sort of assumes the technology is availible and proven (not to mention safe), which was actually my point, not really cost.
Of course it could also be one of the heroes who has the teleport ability, not a device at all. Just an option.

Kylara said:
I think overall the idea of teleporters and secret bases does the same exact thing as smalltownitis, they remove the heros from the action, make them remote. The purpouse of setting the base in a major city(or on the outskirts of one) is that heros can find crime in the city, bank robberies, super villains, they aren't just a super army ready to swoop down when the big red phone rings but never there otherwise. It allows for more localized heros, having roots etc.
I think it does just the opposite. I think having the locator beacons and the ability to be at headquarters quickly through the use of the teleporter, allows the hero more time to be at his home town or city during off hours. I like the hero being in her home town doing good deeds when the Resolute beeper goes off and she has to make a decision.

If there isn't something like this, then your basically asking that dozens of heroes hang out at the big city next to the base, or remain at the base . . . At least everyone knows where they will be.

-----------------------
Overall, we're having discussions about the campaign and concepts - it's all good and I (and anybody else) shouldn't take anything personally. Brainstorming is like that . . . no worries :).

Keia

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Velmont said:
Teleportation can only be made from one device to the other. Such device are huge and connot be carried easily. The UN have been financing such device and you can now teleport from/to any capital city member of the UN. Supers will have to find another mean of transportation after that.
Ohhh, ring gates . . . that could be neat too. :)

Keia

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Phoenix said:
Personally I am not a bit fan of Teleporters, and you see very few of them in comics anyway. Why? They are too easy and bypass a lot of problems that the Supers have to deal with. If teleporters are available for everything, then you can put the base in Hicksville and it wouldn't matter. If the teleporters were only available for certain missions, then why bother? Just allow alternate time for other transportation within the scope of the adventure.

Justice League used them all the time in the cartoon. I loved the quote from Manhunter on the fact that the teleporters were down. "They hardly seem worth the trouble some times."

With the pins being beacons you get all sorts of fun, like having them get destroyed, signals getting blocked, etc., all sorts of fun :] ;)

Keia

Remove ads