Lockwood & Co. - Netflix show

practicalm

Explorer
I haven't been able to track down the books, and the world building in the show is interesting.
Apparently 50 years before the start of the show ghosts started haunting the UK (and probably the world).
Some children have talents of listening or sight and adults cannot see the ghosts at all.
Ghost touch kills a person so there's a lot of effort to build protections.

It's a world of young adults dealing with ghosts, stopping their sources, and adults being difficult for our heroes.

I definitely enjoyed the series, planning on reading the books. Lots of interesting ideas for RPG games I think Ghostbusters RPG could be adapted for for this kind of world [the tone may be off] but it is right up Call of Cthulhu's alley as well.

Plotting requires the suspension of belief that adults cannot be reasoned with or counted on to do the right thing but that seems typical for YA series.

Ryujin

Legend
I haven't been able to track down the books, and the world building in the show is interesting.
Apparently 50 years before the start of the show ghosts started haunting the UK (and probably the world).
Some children have talents of listening or sight and adults cannot see the ghosts at all.
Ghost touch kills a person so there's a lot of effort to build protections.

It's a world of young adults dealing with ghosts, stopping their sources, and adults being difficult for our heroes.

I definitely enjoyed the series, planning on reading the books. Lots of interesting ideas for RPG games I think Ghostbusters RPG could be adapted for for this kind of world [the tone may be off] but it is right up Call of Cthulhu's alley as well.

Plotting requires the suspension of belief that adults cannot be reasoned with or counted on to do the right thing but that seems typical for YA series.
Quite enjoyed it,. though I'd never heard of the novel series before. "Kids are sensitives so of course they get exploited" seems to be the norm for YA fare.

I enjoyed it. Reminded me of old school Doctor Who, when they where still allowed to give kids nightmares.

The novels are on Kindle, I'm going to try reading them next.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Our entire family is a huge fan of the novels. They are quite good YA. Have to say being disappointed by other recent attempts at bring YA books to the screen (looking a you Artemis Foul), our expectations were really low.

Thankfully, the series is adhering to the first two books quite closely (there are 5 books in total). Just finished episode 4 last night, and so far, so good. The casting and set pieces are pretty spot on.

And the soundtrack…icing on the cake. I never imagined a fight scene choreographed to the Cure’s The Forest but that was pretty brilliant.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah I liked it, though Id never heard of the books. Nice premise and interesting story, some deeper mysteries emerging too - be great to have another season.

Dire Bare

Legend
I really enjoyed the show, but . . . that YA trope of all adults being useless and/or actively antagonistic . . . drove me nuts. Only thing I didn't like. I do hope it gets another season.

Remove ads