Longer feet, shorter feet

daTim

First Post
Id have to vote against it. Fighting anything with intelligence that was that large would be almost impossible for any melee fighter.

They take thier 10 foot step back, full attack. Fighter has to move up 10 feet, take an AOO, then only gets one attack. Repeat until slaughter. Their manauverability around the battlefield woud be beefed amazingly as well.

Making it a function of speed however, seems ok by me. Dragons certianly get a beef up. I only assume you would use their fastest possible speed, since a dragon could hop/glide his 5 foot step and move 20 feet.

Legildur

First Post
I think Oriental Adventures had an expansion on the Tumble skill where a DC 35 (from memory) Tumble check allowed you to move 10ft as a 5ft step (with the usual caveats about not having moved in the round etc).

shilsen

Adventurer
Legildur said:
I think Oriental Adventures had an expansion on the Tumble skill where a DC 35 (from memory) Tumble check allowed you to move 10ft as a 5ft step (with the usual caveats about not having moved in the round etc).
DC 40.

Stalker0

Legend
If you actually want a "logical" answer to this one, think of it more as acceleration and not speed.

A 5 foot step basically means the guy can go from dead stop, and move over one square and still do a full round action, so the step practically takes no time.

For a giant, its a bit harder to get going, so the less acceleration is factored in to the 5 foot step.

Bauglir

First Post
daTim said:
Id have to vote against it. Fighting anything with intelligence that was that large would be almost impossible for any melee fighter.

They take thier 10 foot step back, full attack. Fighter has to move up 10 feet, take an AOO, then only gets one attack. Repeat until slaughter. Their manauverability around the battlefield woud be beefed amazingly as well.

Making it a function of speed however, seems ok by me. Dragons certianly get a beef up. I only assume you would use their fastest possible speed, since a dragon could hop/glide his 5 foot step and move 20 feet.

I agree. For these reasons I think you should leave the 5' step alone, even for faster moving creatures. (Dragons are tough enough already!)

Naathez

Explorer
Really truly thank you all for the massive feedback...

well so it seems large guys stay at 5' steps - tough luck for 'em...

will be posting soon some other ideas i have... and hope to get as much feedback.

Oh, guys. most of you probably already do this. But go check the Storyhours... all of them...

who needs bookshops anymore LOL

PS. I'm getting my XPH as soon as stores here in Italy have it... so prepare to have LOADS of questions to reply to, people... ;)

thanks again

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Eltern said:
Make this a function of base speed, and not size, and you've got something that still makes sense, has the potential to be more balanced, and could possibly more fun, for the high level monks/psionic warriors with speed of thought and burst.

How about 1/6 of base speed, rounded up to nearest 5ft increment?

30: 5
20: 5
10: 5
<10: Um... this will always equal 5ft...

The question is, do you want your high lvl monks taking a 15' step? That somehow strikes me as a bad idea.

Thanee

First Post
The 5' step is just to have some dynamics in combat. It's just an abstract rule as many others. If you change the 5' step you have to change a lot of other rules as well, that are built on this and other foundations of the system.

Bye
Thanee

Naathez

Explorer
First of all: as honored as I truly am by the feedback from EACH and ANY of you, Mr Piratecat's attention fills me with sincere pride.

(Bear with me, guys and gals. Mr. PKitty probably doens't even remember, but HE and HIS PLAYERS and their Story Hour got me back to DMing. I owe the man.)

And he actually brought up a point i consider valid.

It is not because of speed that i thought some creatures ought to have "a longer 5' step". but simply because their legs were so much longer.

Anyways, it seems to me my assumption was right. It's too heavy a modification to work. Thanks Thanee for being so concise about that. (And thanks for that Avatar, Thanee. Really.)

Remove ads