Looking for a good class and subclass for a character who specializes in breaking out of prison.

smissner

First Post
I had this idea for a character who specializes in getting himself out of prison, but I didn't want to make him a rogue. Any suggestions for a good class/subclass that would have an easy time breaking out of the highest security prisons.

Voort

Explorer
A Sorcerer. Take the Urchin background for the proficiency in thieves tools and the Divine Soul archetype (from XGTE) to swap Cleric spells.

-proficiency in Thieves Tools & Sleight of Hand for mechanical escapes

-can cast Knock, Invisibility, etc for magical escapes

-high Charisma for Persuasion & Deception to bluff your way out

-can swap Cleric spells for Find Traps, healing, etc.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Monk works. For prisons there was one in IIRC Dungeon or Dragon magazine that was in Eberron run by dwarfs that you couldn't get out of, starting with magically treated walls that prevent any form of teleports and stuff, prisoners being gagged and hooded and hands bound, etc. I think you had to go there to get someone out, but I cant remember. The problem with spellcasters was you never had a material stuff, and had to get the mouth gag out and the hands free to get the V and S spells going.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Eladrin (in 4e anyways) had a free teleport. Carefully ask the DM if the walls are mortared with Gorgon's Blood (which seals vs. teleports) and/or are more than 30 feet thick.

An Urban Ranger - may require some homebrew - could work as your base class.

Criminal (I think; AFB) background includes a contact in any city you travel to. Ask your contact to talk to his other contacts and arrange the jailbreak.

Remove ads