• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for good fantasy creatures in a setting/adventure

balterkn

First Post
My wife, who has been so gracious as to feed my hobby in gaming, was wondering: "why aren't there unicorns, pegasi, faeries, or other fantastic good creatures. The adventures seem to have lots of evil creatures, but where are the good ones?" I think she had a good point.

At the moment, I do mostly pregenerated adventures (with two daughters under two years old and a PhD thesis to write - adventure prep time is almost zero). When I used to do custom adventures, I remembered to include fantastic good creatures into the plots and background. Aiding faerie villages, rescuing a hatchling good dragon, et. al. I can create such adventures, and will likely do that after I finish my studies and get back onto a 9-5 schedule, but want something for the interim.

What settings or adventures are out there which have the PCs interacting with fantastic good creatures? We'd be willing to try non-d20 systems, but most of her experience is with D&D 3.5, so keeping familiar would be helpful.

The good creatures don't have to be the "point" of the adventure; a few encounters with good fantasy creatures, while smashing evil ones, would be great.

Voadam

Legend
The Banewarrens by Malhavoc Press has a couatl who can become an ally during one of the plots. There is also a helpful construct in another part of the adventure.

NewJeffCT

First Post
balterkn said:
What settings or adventures are out there which have the PCs interacting with fantastic good creatures? We'd be willing to try non-d20 systems, but most of her experience is with D&D 3.5, so keeping familiar would be helpful.

The good creatures don't have to be the "point" of the adventure; a few encounters with good fantasy creatures, while smashing evil ones, would be great.

Aldriv's Revenge, a module for 1st-3rd level characters, has a nymph, some brownies and a pseudodragon that play important roles as NPCs in a part of the story. I changed the nymph to a dryad when I ran it recently, because I didn't want to be tempted to have her tag along with the party, and also didn't want to worry about role-playing a 'creature' as sexual as a nymph. The woods where the two elderly brownies, plus the pseudodragon & the dryad live is set on the border of two kingdoms where tensions have been escalating - one is a wealthy kingdom that is somewhat intolerant, the other is an evil theocracy that is big into the major slave trade. It's very easy to expand on the forest areas as well - I am hoping to introduce a unicorn and maybe one or two more forest creatures as NPCs in coming sessions...

It's from Kenzer & Company and is set in their Kingdoms of Kalamar world, but is fairly easy to transport to most campaign worlds.

http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_28_45&products_id=558

Remove ads