• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for software that can do this...

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I know their is software out their that can repartition a drive on the fly with losing data on the drive your wanting to make bigger... (Obviously your source is expendable)

BUT is there any that can it do with the system partition? (Extra space is on the same physical hard drive.)

Seem like my XP isn't happy with being by itself on a 3 GB partition and it wants more room.

Oh try to keep the cost of the software under 50 bucks and yes I do plan on buying it. :)

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Usurper, yeah I should have remembered it, but for 70 bucks I would like to know for sure rather or not it can... I guess I can always shoot an email off to customer service though with the "hot" NTFS system partitions I'm sure it can handle a simple FAT32. Thanks man! :)

Last edited:

Fulcan

First Post
I've used v.5 of partition magic to accomplish that task. You can resize partitions on the fly, although you should always make a backup of said partition beforehand just in case.

Lately I've been using Symantec Ghost instead. You can create an image of the partition and then copy it into any size (at least large enough to hand the data). This way you have a backup of the partion as a side affect. I would recommend the Ghost method myself. Partition Magic has given me errors, but Ghost never has.

Hope this helps.

Brother Shatterstone said:
Usurper, yeah I should have remembered it, but for 70 bucks I would like to know for sure rather or not it can... I guess I can always shoot an email off to customer service though with the "hot" NTFS system partitions I'm sure it can handle a simple FAT32. Thanks man! :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
A third Option is Partition Commander, from Vcom.

All three are quite good, and you can't go wrong with any of them, having used them all. But Partition Commander and P-Magic are the most feature filled in comparison.

spacemonkey

Official ENworld Space Monkey
Don't forget that ghost is useful as a backup/imaging tool for the future as well. It's nice to have long-term use out of something you pay for...

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I went with partition magic 8, I found a copy for 29.99 of a goggle search. If everything is on the up and up I'll share the source for those interested in it. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads