• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

looking for some feedback

punkorange

First Post
This is in off topic because it's obviously not involved with gaming at all. A close friend and I have some original songs on youtube and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on them.

I personally like ramsey's stuff a lot better than my own.

www.youtube.com/punkorange

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You don't know me from Adam, but I'm one of this sites musicians...and I'm an entertainment lawyer as well.

First, I sing and I play guitar, but I can't do both at the same time with any real skill, so I commend you on that.

Second, I still think your singing needs some work- you seemed a little off pitch a couple of times.

Third, you lost tempo a couple of times as well, but that will diminish as an issue the more you practice.

Fourth, maybe its just 'cause I'm a quasi-geezer, but your chord progression sounds a bit like Morrissey's "Everyday Is Like Sunday."

punkorange

First Post
Can I ask, which song(s) you listened to? I love you and when you cry are the two that I wrote.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. So what your saying, is considering the fact that I suck at guitar (by my words, not yours ), and I can't sing (once again, my words, lol) it's not too bad? lol.

I have just gotten to where I am able to play and sing at the same time. It's hard and I can only really do it with stuff that I wrote, or stuff that has a basic strum pattern.

I don't know that I've ever heard "Every day is sunday", but I think that's what I'm about to youtube.

One last thing, you say your one of ENworlds musicians as well, you have any examples? I always enjoy new artists.

edit: I listened to Every day is like sunday. I can see the chord resemblence, does sound a bit like when you cry.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Can I ask, which song(s) you listened to? I love you and when you cry are the two that I wrote.

I listened to "When you cry."

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. So what your saying, is considering the fact that I suck at guitar (by my words, not yours ), and I can't sing (once again, my words, lol) it's not too bad? lol.

I have just gotten to where I am able to play and sing at the same time. It's hard and I can only really do it with stuff that I wrote, or stuff that has a basic strum pattern.

No, actually, it sounds decent, overall. Your tempo problem is probably a symptom of your just now getting to the point of singing and playing simultaneously.

Personally, I've been playing guitar since the 1980s and I have a 4.5 octave voice, and I couldn't do that song that well. I simply haven't been able to coordinate that whole singing and playing thing yet. (I haven't practiced it much, honestly- its something that hits my frustration barrier quickly.)

One last thing, you say your one of ENworlds musicians as well, you have any examples? I always enjoy new artists.

I've never recorded any of my playing beyond a few things where I'm trying to master a difficult section of a classical piece, and that only on cassette tape.

I know- very 20th Century. Its just that I have issues with being the center of attention. But for some time as a cellist and singing in Church (or my car) my musicianship has largely been for my own enjoyment.

I'm in the process of buying my first amp this year- a Fender HRD- and I just found out someone I've known for a few years now is a fellow musician (we'd just never talked about it)...and he has recording gear.

Perhaps one day- maybe this year- I'll get some sound clips out on the internet.

I don't know your taste in music, but 2 other musicians on EMWorld are Nyaricus (EN World D&D / RPG News - View Profile: Nyaricus) and Thunderfoot (EN World D&D / RPG News - Powered by vBulletin he's a former pro.

You can find them (and maybe others) by following the Metal School link in my sig.

Remove ads