• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for survivability options

Azimus

First Post
I'm currently in a Gestalt game, running a Sorceror/paladin, (loosely based on Orphen from the anime, if you're interested) and i'm looking for ways to increase my survivability. Right now I'm running with no armor save my dex and Mage armor, so as not to have to eat spell failure from armor. But i'm looking for ways to increase my survivability when I have to get in close, or when I'm our of spells.

Any suggestions?

Starbuck_II

First Post
I'm currently in a Gestalt game, running a Sorceror/paladin, (loosely based on Orphen from the anime, if you're interested) and i'm looking for ways to increase my survivability. Right now I'm running with no armor save my dex and Mage armor, so as not to have to eat spell failure from armor. But i'm looking for ways to increase my survivability when I have to get in close, or when I'm our of spells.

Any suggestions?
Your AC?
What do you refer to be Survivability?

What level are you? What books allowed?

If you are good, Luminous Armor (1 hr/level) adds +5 AC (-1 penalty to evil creatures that attack you as well). It does do 1d2 Str damage, but a wand of Lesser Restioration cures that.
Greater adds +8.

Azimus

First Post
Pretty much just increasing my AC. Being a paladin, my saves are excellent, and HP is pretty good. But right now compared to the others I'm more or less running around naked, even with mage armor.

Luminous armor sound interesting. What book is it from? I'm doing 3.5, so yes I'm a good paladin. But I'm guessing it doesn't stack with mage armor.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Pretty much just increasing my AC. Being a paladin, my saves are excellent, and HP is pretty good. But right now compared to the others I'm more or less running around naked, even with mage armor.

Luminous armor sound interesting. What book is it from? I'm doing 3.5, so yes I'm a good paladin. But I'm guessing it doesn't stack with mage armor.
Luminous won't stack, but gives a higher bonus.

I second Abjurant Champion (Complete Mage). It upgrades abjuration spells that improve Shield/Armor bonuses like Shield or Limunous Armor (taking all levels gives +5 to each spell that does it I think). (But not Mage armor as that is Conjuration spell).

Book of Exalted Deeds has Luminous Armor if you have that book.

The best bet fior magic items is Rings of Protection (Deflection bonus)/Dusty Rose Ioun stone (+1 insight AC)/Natural armor (Necklace or shirt are appropriate item slots).

I great buy is from Tome of Magic: Shroud of Night (Uses Vest magic item slot)- Gives +2 Deflection to AC and grants 1/day Dancing Shadows (when use on self grants Displacement type effect for 5 rds)- Cost 10K.

Displacement is 50% miss chance (meaning no matter how good they roll their attack roll they miss 50% of time).

Last edited:

Jorael

First Post
You always have the option of making (if you have craft wondrous item) or buying Bracers of Armor. Armor bonus without having to wear armor, and they go all the way up to +8 AC.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Besides the typical AC boosts, remember that finishing off foes quicker also improves survivability.

1) Draconic Heritage opens up Draconic Skin, which gets you +1NAC. Not much, I know, but every bit helps.

It also opens up Draconic Breath, which would let you wear any armor you like while channeling your spell levels into AE breath weapon attacks that have no ASF penalty.

2) In addition or in the alternative, you could take Arcane Strike from CompWar, which lets you channel spell energy into strikes with your weapons...again, without ASF penalties.

Smiting Spell (PHB2) lets you simply channel the spell through a touch or weapon, much like the Spellsword ability. This should avoid ASF problems.

3) Like Draconic Breath, certain Reserve Feats give you magical attacks without ASF penalties as well.

If you were gestalting with Wizard, both Unearthed Arcana and PHB2 have alternative class features that switch out with certain class abilities...and some of those would give you attack/defense capabilities that don't have ASF penalties.

4) Still Spell will let you wear armor while casting spells, since it negates ASF penalties at the cost of shifting the spell's level up one.

In a similar vein, Dragon #354 has a list of spells that have no somatic components, so they too can be cast without ASF. That list is non-comprehensive- and it even misses a few spells in the sources it covers.

5) Suel Arcanomach, Spellsword and some other PrCls grant the ability to cast or channel spells while in armor...which could also let you benefit from the Battle Caster feat.

Azimus

First Post
I found an interesting spell in the Spell Compendium, called Silver beard. You grow a long silvery beard. Rank 1 pally, lasts 1 min/level, +2 sancitified bonus to AC, as well as +2 diplomacy when dealing with dwarves. This small bump is just what i needed, so it works well. If I'm going into a hazardous situation I know to keep it prepared. It should work well until we start dealing with enemies who use dispel magic.

I've been driving my DM nuts though. Ever scene now begins with me 'stroking my long silvery beard'.

Voadam

Legend
I happen to be playing a 3.5 gestalt dwarven paladin sorcerer and run around in mage armor as well.

In spell compendium is the greater mage armor which I believe is 3rd level and +6 AC. Consider upgrading to it and swapping out your first level mage armor. Thankfully mage armor lasts an hour per level so it sticks around a while.

Shield spell will give you a +4 no ASF shield bonus but costs a round to cast and will only last one combat. I go with a polearm so I use both hands.

A force shield ring is no ASF as well I believe.

Mithril bucklers I belive have no ASF and will give you a shield bonus to AC.

Remove ads