Looking for Trouble [Orsal Judging][Concluded]

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: No worries. Let's give this thing a kick to get the plot moving.

After a hurried argument, the party agrees to go into the keep and find out what they can.

It turns out that the keep is a combination border fort and hunting lodge for a Lord Westmoreland. The lord, while recently in residence, is out hunting. Apparently, several days ago rumors reached the keep about a dangerous creature hunting in the woods nearby, and the lord left with a hunting party to seek it out.

There are no signs of Sir Revenir or any undead creatures from anything you've been able to see. You've been allowed to keep your weapons on you, but you've been advised that you may not bring them into the presence of the local lord without special permision, and the lord is a bit overdue to return from his hunting foray.

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: A rather anticlimactic scene for all our build up. Oh well. It often works that way I think.

"What sort of dangerous creatures was he hunting?" Rowan asks the castle guards. "And what's at the other end of this road?"

"In any case, we should camp out for the night." Rowan says to the others. "We've lost Revenir. Seems like we could either go back to pursue the ogre, or simply follow the cobblestones the other way and hope we pick up his trail again."

Heckler

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I'm cool with this. I'll take my share of blame for what happened. Certainly Rinya and Rowan not getting off on the right foot at the beginning didn't help. Rinya's tried to "play nice" since then, but constantly feels like she's being ignored or intentionally antagonized, and that's incredibly frustrating for both her and me. Which led to my previous ooc outburst, and I'd like to apoligize for that, and to Grandma for the language I used.

Now, can we kill some bad guys and take their stuff? Please? :D [/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
Heckler said:
[sblock=ooc]I'm cool with this. I'll take my share of blame for what happened. Certainly Rinya and Rowan not getting off on the right foot at the beginning didn't help. Rinya's tried to "play nice" since then, but constantly feels like she's being ignored or intentionally antagonized, and that's incredibly frustrating for both her and me. Which led to my previous ooc outburst, and I'd like to apoligize for that, and to Grandma for the language I used.

Now, can we kill some bad guys and take their stuff? Please? :D [/sblock]
(OOC: I've heard from previous games that Rowan's sexism has been a defining character trait for him, and Manz has been roleplaying it quite consistently, believably, and well, which I applaud. On the other hand, that means that the ignoring Rinya thing is indeed intentional--it's because she's a woman ;)

Sexism aside, though, I'm going to need one clarification for Lasair on that apology thing--her alignment may say Neutral Good, but on her honour code, she is as strict as any Lawful Good Paladin--without an apology, not acting on some of those insults would be tantamount to a Paladin violating the code and losing all powers :(

Whee--killing bad guys and taking their stuff!)

Heckler

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: I've heard from previous games that Rowan's sexism has been a defining character trait for him, and Manz has been roleplaying it quite consistently, believably, and well, which I applaud. On the other hand, that means that the ignoring Rinya thing is indeed intentional--it's because she's a woman ;)

ooc: But this ain't Broadway, this is a game. There's a fine line between playing a jerk and playing a jerk that kills the fun for others. And there's nothing wrong with playing a jerk. Heck, Rinya's a jerk. I dumped her CHA and RP it, but I try not to let it take over the game. Honestly, I'd love to play her for laughs, but the mood of the adventure hasn't allowed for it yet.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Heckler said:
ooc: But this ain't Broadway, this is a game. There's a fine line between playing a jerk and playing a jerk that kills the fun for others. And there's nothing wrong with playing a jerk. Heck, Rinya's a jerk. I dumped her CHA and RP it, but I try not to let it take over the game. Honestly, I'd love to play her for laughs, but the mood of the adventure hasn't allowed for it yet.
(OOC: I respect that opinion too, but I've made PCs who are jerks (like Lasair's brother Zaeryl), so I respect Manz's right to play a jerk. You're right that it's bad when it takes over the game though, and there is indeed a fine line that is hard to see--to me, everything was just an interesting discussion until the posts where Rowan started the penis/vhal insults. Those two posts were out of line for Lasair.

And you may say that Rinya is a jerk, but Lasair still likes her ;) To Lasair, Rinya seems nice enough.)

Lazlow

First Post
That evening, Dagobert makes an announcement: "My friends, I thank you very much for the opportunity to have traveled with you and experience the world. But Russna calls, and I must follow. I bid you all the best of luck, and a fond farewell." And with that, Dagobert hits the road once again, scribbling furiously in his beloved journal.

[sblock=OOC] Well, I've had about enough of all this. I think I'll bow out gracefully now before our characters kill each other. Patlin, thank you very much for being a great DM in what was my very first LEW outing. Hopefully I'll have the privilege of being in another of your games - just maybe next time with some players who want to play Dungeons & Dragons rather than mock UN.

Oh, that was a bit harsh, I suppose. I apologize, I don't want to leave on that note. But seriously folks, I like the role playing as much as the next guy, but like Heckler said, this is a game. Take a look at the facts: We saw the keep on post #404, and didn't get inside until EIGHTY posts later - and Patlin had to force us in!

I wish everyone the best, and hope to see you all around the boards again sometime. Good luck, and have fun![/sblock]

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: OK. Reluctantly, I'm going to pull a 'Der Haupman' here and write a lengthy OOC comment. But feel free to ignore it if you wish. I'm sure most of you are sick of this whole discussion. I know I am. I plan to continue this adventure, both because it is right in line with what Rowan wants to do, and because it was great fun up to a couple days ago. Once Patlin responds to Rowan's questions, we can make a plan and keep moving. Sorry to see you go, Lazlow, but I certainly sympathize. I do hope you stick around LEW as a player (&/or DM). I've been playing here for years, and this is the worst I've seen it get.
[sblock]For starters, if any of you have a problem with my PC, or with me, I’d appreciate it if you tell me. I think you’ll find I am very willing to accommodate, but I can’t help you if I don’t know you’re upset. Rowan is a womanizing, chaotic, free-spirited, fun-loving barbarian. He’s not a jerk, per se. He won’t get along with everyone, certainly not sensitive people, but he’s always been a responsible team player. He sticks up for his friends, keeps the plot-lines moving, and enjoys some friendly RP on the side.

I wasn’t aware Rowan had offended Rinya (except at the end, when he/I got pissed off). If you have any specific posts you want to point me to as inappropriate, please do so. I don’t want him to interfere with Rinya’s place in the party. He hit on her, sure, as he does to all women, but you can always say no, or go away, which she did, and he will take that in good spirits.

I’ve been playing this game for years and have noticed the constant struggle that many players encounter trying to play an interesting character while still keeping the group together and the action moving. The sad(?) fact is, there are all sorts of interesting and realistic personalities that simply don’t fit into the game. They may be realistic or fun or challenging for the player, but they cause too much trouble in the game. For the game to work, the characters must be able to get along, work together as a team, and focus on the task at hand.

I’m sorry, RA, if the penis jokes annoyed you. I hadn’t realized they were doing that. I’ll stop. That was just Rowan having fun. It seemed like an appropriate response to Lasairs exotic language and complex thought process. Despite Rowan’s intelligence, he prefers direct action to extensive planning, and prefers penis jokes to learning about other cultures.

The fact is, though, that this group got along fine before Lasair showed up. I believe the real hold up here was her insistence that Rowan and Dagobert do exactly what she told him. While this might make sense to her as a character, or to you as a player, it really killed the game. Rowan and Dagobert had different opinions, which Lasair belittled. Rowan was perfectly willing to let Lasair take whatever action she wished. All he wanted was for the party to do something. I believe this is what Dagobert wanted too. But Lasair (& later Rinya), insisted Rowan accompany the party to do what he thought was a bad idea, and threatened to kill or mind-control Dagobert for trying to get the game going again.

In general, I think it’s one thing to play your PC as you want. It’s another to insist another PC go along with it. These are chaotic-leaning adventurers, not soldiers following a general.

I’ll just finish by saying that all your PCs I’ve worked with are quick to belittle other PCs opinions, often in their thoughts instead of their words, leaving no RP response option. This bothers me. Since we’re in a number of games together (3?), & I want to get along, can I just ask you to be sensitive to this? Please don’t insult the intelligence or opinion of me or my PCs. I’m a reasonable man, & I think if you make an effort to play your characters with the diplomacy ranks most of them seem to possess, I’m sure we’ll get along just fine.[/sblock]

Remove ads