• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking to join or start a game of/with...

lvl 1 fighter

First Post
I don't have any SR4 material. *shrug*

And of course by non-core I mean just anything that isn't restricted to core 3.5. I've seen hardly any games here in the past few years that weren't restricted to core rules + maybe a Complete X book or two in some cases. Even though there are plenty of D&D books and D&D-with-different-window-dressing games around, like OA/Rokugan, Arcana Unearthed/Evolved, or EQ d20.

I'm not familiar with any other PbP sites other than Play-By-Web, which has a terrible set-up and code-base.

Adventure in the Swordlands said:
All WOTC 3.5 books are available, with the noted restrictions on class.

I just started an Iron Heroes themed 3.5 game using the E6 rules.There are some restrictions on things I don't want in the gameworld, but character creation was fairly open. We ended up with a Spellcaster (UA generic class), Rogue/Warblade, Fighter/Warblade/Swordsage, and a Crusader.

If you want to make a character go ahead. I'll put you on the list of alternates. Currently there is one alternate but I don't have a character sheet from that person.

There are also the gaming forums at the OoTS website. People run more varied game systems there. I think currently there's a Warhammer game, plus Maid, Naruto, Modern, something called Fire Emblem, and a Call of Cthulhu game.

Jemal

Adventurer
I ran lots of Non-core games back in the day, as well as playing in and GMing a few non-D&D games (particularily I've always been fond of WoD and M&M).

I find the standard '1st level core d&d' games that many seem so obsessed with to be... well to be quite honest, kinda boring unless the GM's got a really good story. Even then I'm in it more for the story than for the gaming, which is tantamount to reading a book IMO (Entertaining but it doesn't scratch the itch).

I'm also on the "4th ed.. meh" bandwagon. I've played it, it's entertaining... then again, so's blackjack, but neither are activities I'd actively seek as a way to to spend my free time. *shrug*

BTW -
To any who remember me, I've taken care of much of the problems in my life that caused my hiatus about 6 months ago, and am tentatively coming back to the boards. I don't think i'm up to DMing ATM, but I am down with Ark's idea that we need some more non-standard gamin round here.

So I think thats my usually long and rambling way of saying: Yes, I'm down for some of that. I'd be in for M&M, Star Wars, or any non-core D&D if others are up for it. Maybe we should start a poll.. "what do people want to play?"

Arkhandus

First Post
Nice to see ya back around, Jemal.

So, Jemal, do you have Arcana Unearthed or Arcana Evolved?

I might try running something with AU/AE (though I might regret spending the money so soon instead of later, I bought PDFs of AE, Transcendance, Legacy of the Dragons, and the Book of Iron Might for GM's Day; before I just had AU),
or Pathfinder Beta,
or a mix of core 3.5, BoIM, PHB II, Bo9S, Advanced Player's Manual, Secrets of Theurgy, Wild Spellcraft, XPH stuff in the SRD, High Psionics, Untapped Potential/Untapped Classes, and Mind Unveiled. :heh:

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Welcome back, Jemal! :D

On a side note, are you interested in continuing the adventures of Sir William? The rest of the gang is all there (ethandrew and shadowmask are back, too).

Jemal

Adventurer
Hiya Monkey. :) William was a fun character, I'll definitely have to go check out the thread and see where you guys are at & How much I've missed.
EDIT: Were you talking about entering William into your new shadowgate game? It's the only one I can find ATM.

Ark - I'd love to be in one of your games, but on the downside I don't have many of the resources you listed. :( My available resources include most 3.5 stuff, when it comes to non-D&D I have WoD, M&M, Star Wars Saga, and Warhammer Dark Heresy, so I wouldn't be available for the Arcana games. An all-books allowed (or even many books allowed) D&D game would be right up my alley though. I'm mostly familiar with the Complete series, a couple "Races of" books, and phb2, (though if you were to open it up even further, I DO have acess to some of the mongoose quintessentials, which have some neat and fun stuff that i haven't been able to use for years..)

In the end, I don't need access to every resource you want to include so long as I've got acess to some'a them, I suppose.

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
I'd love to play in a 3ed shadowrun game with a few other commited players, and a really good story. Shadowrun is one of the few RPGs where I actually like playing spellcasters :) I also always thought that SR was one of the games best suited to PbP since the party makeup can change between each run, and each run doesn't have to take months in game time.

Arkhandus

First Post
Well, I was more hoping to play SR3 than to GM it here........since my first time GMing it won't be until a week or two from now, at the earliest, and I've only had the chance to play in a few short sessions of Shadowrun before. I'm nowhere near capable yet of running a Shadowrun game with even just an above average story. :heh::-S

As it is, I'm going to be trying for a mediocre story with a small group of fellow SR newbs (though I at least have some experience with the game and setting, unlike them). Until I've played more alongside experienced SR players, or spent a lot more money on SR books to get a firmer grasp of the setting and everything, I won't be able to come up with a great Shadowrun storyline. As it is, I've ready maybe half a dozen SR novels and 2 gamebooks (SR3 and New Seattle), aside from skimming parts of some books my friends had at the table several years ago.

Aside: So is there enough interest in a 3.5 D&D game with expanded and 3PP materials for us to get a game going? At this point I'm thinking of Oerth with the timeline advanced some 20 years, as events like the introduction of the Sublime Way and the appearance of Rajrin the Dreaming Isle go by in those 20-odd years, allowing various non-core material to be used.

After I've read more from the few AE PDFs I bought, I may run a game with AU/AE later.

lvl 1 fighter

First Post
I'd be interested in a 3.5 game using non-core/alternate rules. I have more ideas to run such a game but I know that right now I can't afford the time to DM more than one game.

I also don't understand the fascination with 1st lvl core games. It's interesting in a get back to basics sort of way, I suppose.

I'm not familiar with most 3rd party books, but I have an extensive collection of 3.5 books. I'd like to see a dnd game that uses some UA rules, or a different setting than FR. I'm a particular fan of the reserve point and class defense bonus rules, as well as E6. I like the concept of Gestalt classes but generally don't like how it's implemented. You usually end up with really weird combinations that either don't make sense or are obvious attempts at power gaming. Not that I'm against power gamers (being one myself), I just prefer it to be done with style and some attempt at a definite theme.

Remove ads