• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looks vs. Functionality

How do you decide what your character wears?

• I'd have my macho barbarian wear a pink tutu if it gave a better AC

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I wear the best armor and use the best gear I can get, and let illusions take care of the look

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I try to persuade my GM to let me modify the looks of gear, keeping stats

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I'd rather die than wear ugly armor

Votes: 2 10.0%

Fenes

First Post
How many of you value looks over functionality when it comes to characters? How many wear or use something that's not as good as it could be just because it looks better?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Seeing as how I never draw my characters, they all manage to look exactly how I want them to look in my mind at any given moment, regardless of what they are using.

Runestar

First Post
For pen-and-paper games, since fluff is quite mutable in my games, we usually have no problems settling for mechanics first, and adjusting aesthetics to suit the PC. For instance, if a player wanted to play a soulknife, there would be no issues with allowing him to alter the shape of his mindblade into whatever he wanted it to look it, so long as it remained statistically the same.

For PC games, it is a little trickier. But generally, unless the item really looks horrible on the character, I go with functionality over looks. Or maybe looks if the tradeoff in power is small/minimal. But I will likely still keep the backup eq just in case I am not satisfied with my current level of strength. :)

Zimri

First Post
For pen-and-paper games, since fluff is quite mutable in my games, we usually have no problems settling for mechanics first, and adjusting aesthetics to suit the PC. For instance, if a player wanted to play a soulknife, there would be no issues with allowing him to alter the shape of his mindblade into whatever he wanted it to look it, so long as it remained statistically the same.

For PC games, it is a little trickier. But generally, unless the item really looks horrible on the character, I go with functionality over looks. Or maybe looks if the tradeoff in power is small/minimal. But I will likely still keep the backup eq just in case I am not satisfied with my current level of strength. :)

Pretty much the same for me. In pen and paper I tend to play rogue/sneaky/espionage types so in games where magic items/spells exist that alter appearance it just makes sense that I seek them out.

Nymrohd

First Post
I don't play much :( So as a DM I make sure to give my players treasure that makes them look cool. So no +6 pink tutu of the veteran.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Depends on the character. To use an extreme example, chances are that an aristocratic cleric of the deity of death will not have quite the same fashion standards as a humble paladin who grew up among animals.

It also depends on the situation. If you're going to meet the queen, you may not want (or your friends may not want you) to bring the silly duck mask that you wore on a midnight raid into enemy territory. Even if its powers are potentially useful in both situations.

Wormwood

Adventurer
We always 'reskin' our items.

The same Vicious Longsword in the hands of the Tiefling Warlord looks a hell of a lot different than it does in the hands of the Dragonborn Paladin.

Remove ads