• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looting Dead PCs

havoclad

Explorer
What are everyone's feelings about PC's looting the bodies of their dead companions?

I've been mildly bothered in the past by my groups tendency to immediately divy up the possessions of the dead well before the body is cold. If I'm lucky, they'll try to do a proper burial. (Generally I've been the DM).

In the current campaign, I'm a player and crafted the character to have a family that he spoke of often. During our last encounter, the poor guy died in the surprise round. (Hate when that happens)

I was happy when the party did cast Speak with Dead the next day to ascertain the deceased desires. "Did he wish to be raised?" - No. "What did he want done with his body and possessions?" - "Please return all to his family, except for any charged items, which the party could keep" Total value of the charged items was about 11K (10th level party).

This was a good start, but predictably things have gone downhill since then. I've kept out of the discussions because, after all, my character is dead!

So, my questions are:
Do other people play this way? IE, no thought to following a lawful inheritance policy, or following the wishes of the deceased.
Does this bother anyone else, or is it just me?

Thanks for listening,

--Pat

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It depends on the player. In my group, about half of the players would be stripping a body clean before it had totally bled out. The others would insist on the campaign screeching to a halt while everyone turns around and heads back to town for a proper funeral and burial.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Usually they're resurrected in the game, since we play with that option; even low-level heroes can get a raise dead in exchange for some basically "indentured servitude" in the form of a quest or such.

Friadoc

Explorer
Personally, I'm all for the characters doing what's in character for them to do - if they're the type who loots, then so be it, but if they're the type who wonders if it'd be ok, then they discuss, and if they're the type who wouldn't, well then they're gonna stand opposed to it.

In my games, be it as a player or a DM, it honestly isn't something I'm against, if it makes In Character sense - I.E. if they have a use for it, key element or whatever, or just a desire.

But, if it is totally out of character for them, such as a righteous, justice and law type paladin taking whatever sorta item, just because, with no moral question about it, well, it stands out a bit, doesn't it?

If a character always talked about the family he loves and left behind, then dang straight his stuff should go as he wished, save for a cackle of rogues or whatever.

Diremede

First Post
Well I believe it depends on who you are gaming with more so than the type of characters they are running. I have one guy that wants to loot everything regardless of his previous actions, alignment, or overall character outlook. Hell even if he can't use the item he often wants it. So he is usually first to see what the character may or may not have, before the body is really even cold.

Others that I have grouped with take potions and scrolls and then return the rest of the items to the characters family provided they have one.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
For me, it depends more on the dead character. If he was the typical character with no history other than being Joe Fighter or whatever, loot the body! On the other hand, the character you've described would have his last wish granted. Probably without his even asking. Then there are the campaigns where characters were expected to write a will, and everyone else is expected to abide by it.

havoclad

Explorer
Thanks ya'll for your thoughts.

One thing I didn't mention because it wasn't germane to my current situation, but in hindsight I feel is relevant is the impact of PC death on overall party wealth.

Consider 4 PC's adventuring with roughly the same wealth, call it 20000gp value
One PC dies, the other 3 split up his stuff. Those three characters are going to end up with upwards of 27K in wealth each (depending on how much they can use, how much they have to sell @ a 50% loss, etc).

The player of the dead PC creates a new character, naturally he wants to enter with the new value of party wealth, call it 25K.

Voila, the party just increased their overall wealth by 25%, and all because one PC died. Looks like a reward to me.

Now, sure, there are many ways that I as a DM can deal with this. Bottom line, though, is that the whole thing feels a little off to me, and I'd rather not worry about it.

Heh, it would be fun to have every PC death followed with an attack by Rust monsters though. :)

Beckett

Explorer
If the character is staying dead, it's pretty accepted in my group that they will be stripped. Some of it, potions and wands mostly, are considered party treasure the character was holding in trust. Other stuff is divided up to try to keep the death count from going up ("We're all broken up that Bob has gone off to Heaven or Hades or wherever, but if I don't get his +5 Plate Mail, there's a good chance I'm going to join him.") Sometimes a personalized item that no one wants will be sent on to the character's family.

To keep wealth levels in line, I've recently implemented a rule that characters replacing dead or retired characters only come in with what an NPC of that level has. Typically, the players are pretty good about helping the new character catch up.

Remove ads