• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looting Dead PCs

Numion

First Post
frankthedm said:
If the previous character is buried poor, the next character arrives poor.

Simple and to the point.

I've used this rule for about 4 years now. It's the players' choice, and they have never looted a body.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
havoclad said:
What are everyone's feelings about PC's looting the bodies of their dead companions?
It hasn't happened yet, IMC, but I think I'll likely "suff out" any such player behavior.

Of course, if one of the PCs was evil and a rogue, I'd give that character a chance to lift something without the other PCs knowing... but, it's a huge risk.

I don't think looting dead PCs should be allowed unless all the players (and DM) agree that it is okay.

Cheers!

KF72

danzig138

Explorer
lukelightning said:
PCs should really bury their fallen comrades. That way they get enough piety points to make up for the orphanage they burnt down. ;)
Burying fallen comrades. . . Will it makes up for scorching entire towns?

Matafuego

Explorer
Wasn't there a rule in some Egyptian flavoured campaigns that an Avatar of Osiris had a chance of battling anyone who loot corpses?
I remember something like that from my 2e days...

It's never been a problem in my games, the characters are either raised or buried with their key items (or whatever they specified, sometimes they have even burned characters with their equipment) and any useful trinkets that weren't very important are kept by the party. Sometimes not even that, it depends a lot on who died and why... I know several places IMC filled with buried PC's and their equipment.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
All of our characters are buried with all of their equipment (even potions and things of that nature) so that the new character can buy his/her equipment and come into the game equipped like a decently levelled character should be.

One exception to this rule is every so often we will find some equipment generally useful to the whole party that the dead character happens to be carrying. This equipment gets a *franchise tag* and is allowed to be redistributed. So far our 8th level party has the following items tagged.

1. Bag of Holding
2. Handy Haversack
3. Luckstone
4. Wand of Identify (now used up)
5. Any wands of healing

We think this is fair to both the players and the DM

DS

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
In all of my games it's an official, out of character rule that the corpses don't get looted. It's the "leave poor, come poor" with a rider that we're all going to be adult about it. They can have whatever in-game reason seems appropriate ... relatives, viking burial, stuff bequeathed to temples, whatever.

Usually the group also "goes in" on charged items and the like for group benefit, so the wands and the like that are usable by more than one are given to another for use.

This way the guy who died can make a new character as quickly and painlessly as possible. I'm big on that. He knows how much money the new PC gets and he can spend it. We can start writing a new character into the storyline ASAP and even get him into the game before the end of the session if we've got the time.

Most of my table rules are there to cut down on things I see as "not fun" ... watching one guy roll up a character, arguing about who gets the +3 Shiny Sword, etc. Stuff that keeps us from the role playing. I haven't had any complaints about it. Bob died, he's gone and so is all of his personal stuff, Roy gets written in and has enough stuff to be effective, we move on. No: "But I want the +3 sword." no "What stuff are we giving this penniless beggar we're inviting to go on this quest with us?"

In the game I'm a player in right now, I think we had the same basic rule. Within the last few levels we've gotten access to some new raise spells that don't penalize levels or con, and they're prepped, so should anybody die they'll just be brought back right away ... one special place-specific artifact spell and one SpellCompendium spell that has to be cast within a few rounds that we've got a scroll of. Two of us are high enough level clerics to cast it out of hand and one is multiclass Cleric/Rogue with full UMD ranks so he'd be able to bluff through it reliably. At this point, without a wipe, we'll probably not have to worry about new PCs coming in.

--fje

Rpjunkie

First Post
Dead player thows a curse on said PCs. He infuses a magic item of one of the characters making it intelligent and then haunting the PC's until they make restitution to his family. Or use the spell bestow curse on them all until they do the restitution. Simple solutions really.

RPJ

DragonBelow

Adventurer
I played with the same large group for more than 10 years, and this was never an issue, now I moved and play with a different group and it has become one, so I banned this in my game, no looting of falling comarades unless it's something that save other party members lives or story objects.

I bothers me a lot, not only for moral reasons, but because it also breaks the wealth balance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads