• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looting Dead PCs

fusangite

First Post
havoclad said:
What are everyone's feelings about PC's looting the bodies of their dead companions?

I've been mildly bothered in the past by my groups tendency to immediately divy up the possessions of the dead well before the body is cold.
Well, this needs to be understood in the context of the fact that armies, before the modern period, were self-equipped. Levied troops had to provide their own gear quite often but it was, nevertheless, the equipment of the army.

Armies, even small freelance ones, don't throw away their weapons needlessly. While I would support a PC strongly associated with a particular one of his items being buried with that item, I would find it strange if the unit of which the PC was part didn't seize some portion of the items that made them, as a group, more effective.
I was happy when the party did cast Speak with Dead the next day to ascertain the deceased desires. "Did he wish to be raised?" - No. "What did he want done with his body and possessions?" - "Please return all to his family, except for any charged items, which the party could keep" Total value of the charged items was about 11K (10th level party).

This was a good start, but predictably things have gone downhill since then. I've kept out of the discussions because, after all, my character is dead!
I would have real trouble with a dead PC's wishes being defied by his supposed comrades.
Do other people play this way? IE, no thought to following a lawful inheritance policy, or following the wishes of the deceased.
I guess I tend to play in games populated by characters who are not strongly attached to family. Otherwise, why would they be adventuring? I tend to assume that adventurers are either totally committed to the success of a quest or pathological risk-takers; otherwise it's pretty hard to explain why they are adventuring. So I tend to assume that the party has the best claim on the deceased's items by virtue either of their mutually important mission or their lack of attachments.

That stated, taking a deceased person's items and selling them... not something I would approve of.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Our rule is this: if the character has a will on file with the DM, that takes priority (if possible). Otherwise, we usually try Speak With Dead; if no help there, the gear's fair game.

Lanefan

Crothian

First Post
For us it depends on the item. If it is just something silly like a belt of strength +6 then that can goto another PC. But if it is the holy belt of Kord or the sacred sword passed down from his father, or even an item that the character just got but really defined him. These type of items get returned to church, family, or someone of importance to that character.

NiTessine

Explorer
Hmm. In the only one of my current campaigns where this has come up, we've generally taken everything that's marked on his character sheet, sold it, and divided up the profits equally between all. Thus far, this has happened to our dread necromancer and our incarnate. There was also a knight, I think, but he fell into the sea in full armour.

Our characters are a self-serving lot of outcasts and a few outright villains without a good alignment component between us, plus we're poor and 2nd-level.

We did arrange for the incarnate to be buried, though, since he died on what was soon to become our property and we couldn't just leave him there to rot.

Archade

Azer Paladin
Heya!

I wish my party would use Speak With Dead more often!

But if they loot their fellow PCs, and there are a lot of PC deaths, they are going to get waaay ahead of the Wealth curve. Either ask the players to bury the PCs with their boots, or lower the treasure of critters (or create costs) to bring things back in line.

GlassEye

Adventurer
We generally bury the dead with all of their goods or see that the wealth is taken to their heirs or family, if they've named any.

Agent Oracle

First Post
I managed to instill a sense of honor in my PC's.

Primary and secondary weapons of the deceased, along with their best suit of armor, and their any favored magical items (which would be redundant or useless for other players) get buried. Incidentals in their backpacks (things like sunrods, healing potions, Spare cash) get redistributed.

havoclad

Explorer
frankthedm said:
If the previous character is buried poor, the next character arrives poor.

Simple and to the point.

This, I like!

I fear a full scale player revolt if I try to implement it, but the gaming table needs a little blood to keep it in good shape from time to time. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads