D&D 5E Lore Bard Powerplay

Nicola Zamagni

First Post
Hello everyone! First of all sorry for my english, it's not my native language.
My group is setting up a campaign for powerplay. We start from lvl 15 and the master said he will "throw against us even sinks".
So I need to prepare an optimized build to survive and I wanna play a bard of lore. The real problem is that even if I'm an expert player I never play a bard. You could say I should play something i am more confident at, but i really think that a lvl15 lore bard can pull out some interesting combos thanks to the spells he gets from other casters. So do you know some strong interaction with spells from lvl 1 to lvl 8?
If u already have some builds u can share I would appreciate! Ty

gyor

Legend
Improved Sommon Steed and Conjure Celestial are my suggestions for Magical Secret Spells, Conjure Celestial in particular is crazy good spell because it summons a Couatl, which has good combat ability, but insane high utility (can shape shift into any humaniod or beast of CR 4 or lower at will gaining none class abilities of form, a ton of spells, including at will detect thoughts, flight, a poisous bite & constrict in it's native form, telepathy, true sight, can read any language, and other goodies, best summons in my opinion short of a Gate spell and far more reliable, and if you lose concentration it DOESN'T try and kill you. It's my favourite spell in the game. Actually I'd suggest taking Planar Binding as well to go with Conjure Celestial.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Welcome to ENWorld, have some XP.

I agree with you, a lore bard can definitely be a valued member of the group at those levels. Well, any 15th level caster who can poach spells from any other list with Magical Secrets is going to be a strong contender to start with.

You have good uses for bonus actions in handing out Inspiration abnd/or reaction in using Cutting Words. Need to be careful with Cutting Words - some foe to-hit bonuses are so large it won't make a big deal unless the character getting attacked has a really high AC. On the other hand, making ability checks fail is pretty easy, and a lot of spells take ability checks to get out of. Also initiative is an ability check, so if you're fighting a single creature that's like giving your entire party a boost.

The bard's default list has a lot of crowd control on it, make sure you can contribute both when there are many foes and when there are few or one. Use Magical Secrets to give yourself options you don't have elsewhere - like revivify to use on your main healer, or Contingency. Don't focus on damaging spells - that's other character's niche. But do have something to cast if you are Concentrating on something else.

One thing I would suggest picking up is Counterspell. Your Jack of All Trades AND Peerless Skill (if you use Bardic Inspiration) can add to your own counterspell and dispel checks. At 15th and higher you'll want those to succeed - while you can auto-succeed if you upcast, remember that the DM can always have more spell slots than you do. :)

Some good spells: Forcecage (no concentration, break a big fight into two smaller fights), Mass Suggestion (also no concentration), Regeneration, Otto's Irresistible Dance (works for 1 turn even against legendary saves), Animate Object (okay, this is just damage, but NICE damage and lots of creative uses), Hold Monster is a lousy spell - that gives auto-crits. So if everyone on your party will pile on a single important target, cast this first), Mass Cure Wounds (stand up several fallen party members), Greater Invisibility (on your rogue), Polymorph (!!), Hypnotic Pattern.

At 15th you should have a 20 CHR and another ASI or feat. While not glamourous, Inspiring Leader gives out 20 temp HPs to all your party (includign yourself) once per short rest. Not bad at all. Though Resilent (Con) and Warcaster can add to your concentration checks.

I'd suggest Half-Elf - +2 CHR, +1 to two other ability scores, and some good elven resistance to sleep and charm. Plus Darkvision and two extra skills. What's not to like?

Nicola Zamagni

First Post
Welcome to ENWorld, have some XP.

I agree with you, a lore bard can definitely be a valued member of the group at those levels. Well, any 15th level caster who can poach spells from any other list with Magical Secrets is going to be a strong contender to start with.

You have good uses for bonus actions in handing out Inspiration abnd/or reaction in using Cutting Words. Need to be careful with Cutting Words - some foe to-hit bonuses are so large it won't make a big deal unless the character getting attacked has a really high AC. On the other hand, making ability checks fail is pretty easy, and a lot of spells take ability checks to get out of. Also initiative is an ability check, so if you're fighting a single creature that's like giving your entire party a boost.

The bard's default list has a lot of crowd control on it, make sure you can contribute both when there are many foes and when there are few or one. Use Magical Secrets to give yourself options you don't have elsewhere - like revivify to use on your main healer, or Contingency. Don't focus on damaging spells - that's other character's niche. But do have something to cast if you are Concentrating on something else.

One thing I would suggest picking up is Counterspell. Your Jack of All Trades AND Peerless Skill (if you use Bardic Inspiration) can add to your own counterspell and dispel checks. At 15th and higher you'll want those to succeed - while you can auto-succeed if you upcast, remember that the DM can always have more spell slots than you do. :)

Some good spells: Forcecage (no concentration, break a big fight into two smaller fights), Mass Suggestion (also no concentration), Regeneration, Otto's Irresistible Dance (works for 1 turn even against legendary saves), Animate Object (okay, this is just damage, but NICE damage and lots of creative uses), Hold Monster is a lousy spell - that gives auto-crits. So if everyone on your party will pile on a single important target, cast this first), Mass Cure Wounds (stand up several fallen party members), Greater Invisibility (on your rogue), Polymorph (!!), Hypnotic Pattern.

At 15th you should have a 20 CHR and another ASI or feat. While not glamourous, Inspiring Leader gives out 20 temp HPs to all your party (includign yourself) once per short rest. Not bad at all. Though Resilent (Con) and Warcaster can add to your concentration checks.

I'd suggest Half-Elf - +2 CHR, +1 to two other ability scores, and some good elven resistance to sleep and charm. Plus Darkvision and two extra skills. What's not to like?

Ty for your answer. I will avoid pure damage spells cause we already have high dps in our party (we have a mage, a ranger, and probably a barbarian). I will focus on debuffing and mass cc.

Counterspell is obvious and conjure celestial too. I really like forcecage and Otto's irresistible dance.

But I can't find a gamebreaking combo to turnaround a fight against a big boss. Maybe combining 2 spells from different spell list? Any ideas?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Counterspell is obvious and conjure celestial too. I really like forcecage and Otto's irresistible dance.

But I can't find a gamebreaking combo to turnaround a fight against a big boss. Maybe combining 2 spells from different spell list? Any ideas?

As a bard, remember the Beatles: "I get by with a little help from my friends".

You may not have a "I win" combo by yourself, but you have so much that helps your team exceed. Greater Invis and a Bardic Inspiration just in case can make sure that rogue or someone with GWM/SS never fails to deliver.

Not that you have nothing. You mentioned Otto's - ready that to go off after a big boss has taken an action. Boom, they now have disadvantage on Dex save while your team has advantage on attacks for at least a round before they can save. Any legendary actions that are attacks (weapon or spell) will have disadvantage. It then takes an action to save, so even with legendary saves they are missing their next action. In 5e a round of focus fire with advantage and then a round of action denial should be a real boost in a fight if it doesn't win it outright.

Fighting two big bads who don't have teleport? Forcecage and turn it into two all vs. one battles. Much easier.

Hypnotic Pattern can take out a bunch of foes.

BTW, reading your party setup it looks like you might need to fill in for the healer as well. There's a good number of conditions that get thrown around at those levels a cleric would have to deal with as well as stand-up healign in combat and boosting out-of-combat healing (which you do slightly with Song of Rest). Using your action to cast healing isn't as bad when you're also maintaining concentration on a great cc or debuff and would be limited to non-concentration spells anyhow. As a magical secret, Paladin's Aura of Vitality is a great out-of-combat healing the cleric which they had.

Nicola Zamagni

First Post
As a bard, remember the Beatles: "I get by with a little help from my friends".

You may not have a "I win" combo by yourself, but you have so much that helps your team exceed. Greater Invis and a Bardic Inspiration just in case can make sure that rogue or someone with GWM/SS never fails to deliver.

Not that you have nothing. You mentioned Otto's - ready that to go off after a big boss has taken an action. Boom, they now have disadvantage on Dex save while your team has advantage on attacks for at least a round before they can save. Any legendary actions that are attacks (weapon or spell) will have disadvantage. It then takes an action to save, so even with legendary saves they are missing their next action. In 5e a round of focus fire with advantage and then a round of action denial should be a real boost in a fight if it doesn't win it outright.

Fighting two big bads who don't have teleport? Forcecage and turn it into two all vs. one battles. Much easier.

Hypnotic Pattern can take out a bunch of foes.

BTW, reading your party setup it looks like you might need to fill in for the healer as well. There's a good number of conditions that get thrown around at those levels a cleric would have to deal with as well as stand-up healign in combat and boosting out-of-combat healing (which you do slightly with Song of Rest). Using your action to cast healing isn't as bad when you're also maintaining concentration on a great cc or debuff and would be limited to non-concentration spells anyhow. As a magical secret, Paladin's Aura of Vitality is a great out-of-combat healing the cleric which they had.

I will take an "out of combat healing". Aura of vitality is my first choice.

I recommend you take simulacrum as one of your 14th level magical secrets. The material component is expensive (1500 GP) but it allows you to create a duplicate of any one beast or humanoid, including yourself. It has half of the original creatures hit points but otherwise has all the abilities of the original creature. That means a simulacrum of a spellcaster has its spellcasting ability, although it can never regain expended spell slots. It goes without saying that this is extremely powerful. Imagine the possibilities if you create a simulacrum of yourself.

When you reach 18th level, be sure to take wish as one of your magical secrets. Come to think of it, if you hold off till that point you can use wish to create a simulacrum without the expensive material component.

Nicola Zamagni

First Post
I recommend you take simulacrum as one of your 14th level magical secrets. The material component is expensive (1500 GP) but it allows you to create a duplicate of any one beast or humanoid, including yourself. It has half of the original creatures hit points but otherwise has all the abilities of the original creature. That means a simulacrum of a spellcaster has its spellcasting ability, although it can never regain expended spell slots. It goes without saying that this is extremely powerful. Imagine the possibilities if you create a simulacrum of yourself.

When you reach 18th level, be sure to take wish as one of your magical secrets. Come to think of it, if you hold off till that point you can use wish to create a simulacrum without the expensive material component.

Simulacrum is really powerful, ty for the advice! I will certainly take it. Wish is obvious one of the best spells of the game so I will take it too at lvl 18.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I will take an "out of combat healing". Aura of vitality is my first choice.

Take one level of life cleric and then 14 levels bard. You get heavy armor, bless, guidance, and a bonus to heal spells of 2 + spell level. Now Aura of Vitality heals 2d6 + 5 HP as a bonus action or 70-170 in total. The benefits of that one level are worth it. You can use it in combat to keep everyone up, if someone gets drop you can get them right back up.

Remove ads