• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost: 2/14/07

Taelorn76

First Post
Demmero said:
Waaaay back, during the doomed flight, Cindy stops in the plane's aisle and asks Jack how his drink is, he complains that it wasn't very strong, and she sneaks him an extra shot bottle or two.

Cindy was a flight attendant, not a Tailie passenger.

I did forget about that interaction. But I implying she was a tail end survivor. I am still suprised he would remember her since most of these characters have crossed paths in their lives and don't seem to remember each other.

Taelorn76

First Post
Richards said:
This episode reminded me a lot of Slaughterhouse Five, with Billy Pilgrim getting "unstuck in time."

And nobody's mentioned Penny's father yet! What a bastard! That whole deal with the "you're not even worth this swallow of alcohol" thing made me hate him beyond redemption, and really feel for Desmond.

Desmond's a good character. I hope they keep him on.

Johnathan

That had explained why his eyes lit up like a bonfire when Charlie presented him that bottle.

dravot

First Post
Taelorn76 said:
I did forget about that interaction. But I implying she was a tail end survivor. I am still suprised he would remember her since most of these characters have crossed paths in their lives and don't seem to remember each other.

Was she one of the tailies kidnapped from their crash site?

Demmero

Explorer
dravot said:
Was she one of the tailies kidnapped from their crash site?

Nope. Cindy the Tailie/stewardess was with Ana Lucia, Libby, Eko, Bernard, Michael, Jin, and Sawyer when they made the trip across the island to the main Lostaways' camp.

Cindy vanished/was taken right before the weird whispers started and Ana Lucia accidentally shot Shannon.

satori01

First Post
I loved this episode...exciting..well acted...and very clever.
Hume as a philosopher believed in Free Will...but for Free Will to have any meaning Hume believed there had to be Determinism.

I think this episode incoporated that idea quite well. I also like that instead of Time Travel...the classic Sci-Fi idea of alternate universe could have applied. Especially at Desmond's first prediction of the come from behind victory in the Football match.
My first thought was he had switched over to another quantum universe were one of the different outcomes was the victor/loser of the match.

For those that are clammering for simple reveals at the end of every episode...no offense...but I think you have sucked the life out of the show for yourselves and are missing the point. Stage and TV and Cinema are performance arts...and performance arts are as much about the journey as they are about the destination.

You dont watch a performance of Who's Afraid of Virgina Wolf to just find out if the couples stay together...you watch for the process. Lost has great personal witting and great actors that pull it off.

Lost is a show that can pull off making the process interesting, compelling, universal. I think everyone can empathize with Desmond's dilemma, making a choice, again, that will cause you extreme pain, keep you from the person you truly love, and be given the appearance of a coward, even though your choice was in some ways brave.

Now compare that depth to the interpersonal episodes of BSG, it is like watching Ibsen and then watching a Kindegarden class...."Lee is paying too much attention to Kira, I want my cake and eat it too, I'm right and you are wrong"....blah...blah...blah.

Now BSG is a show that should SOLELY stick to moving the plot.

and Echo?

I liked the episode, I really did. Desmond represents a new character who was introduced WELL, not like Ben, Juliette and everyone else in the World's Most Mysterious Trailer Park.

Of course we also learn that Echo died off camera (i.e.Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje was written out of the show). That means that ALL of the new survivors (except Bernard, who hasn't made an appearance at all in season 3 yet) that we invested so much in last season have now been completely written out of the show.

I think this is one of the problem's with Lost. The producers of Lost took great pains to get us to emotionally buy into Libby, Anna Lucia and Echo as the new cast additions in Season 2...only to kill them all off before they could noticeably influence the plot.

Anna Lucia and Jack's 'Army' -- dead
Libby's backstory with Hurley -- 'dead'
Echo's developing contrast with Locke -- 'dead'
Echo and Charlie building the church -- 'dead'.

Audiences bought into these characters -- only to watch them (and Michael and Walt) get written out for no reason at all. But 'Don't worry' they tell us 'We replaced them with another group of new cast members that we're going to foist on you...and expect you to buy into once again')

Thus the others who are both more lame than last year's characters AND are being played to an audience that are once-bitten twice shy. This is the stuff of a revolving door soap opera cast -- not a serious prime time drama.

Now, not to dump totally on the producers since Cyntha Watros and Michelle Rodriguez (who played Libby and Anna Lucia) pulled one of the all time dumb moves in the history of TV -- when, handed a starring role in a hit, critically acclaimed show being filmed in a tropical paradise -- they ended up embarassing everyone with their DUI antics. Cutting them lose was justifiable.

However -- for Lost to simple write out Echo and Michael and Walt -- and replace them with a bunch of who-cares nobody's was just wrong.

Tiberius

Explorer
nothing to see here said:
Of course we also learn that Echo died off camera (i.e.Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje was written out of the show).

You must not be remembering the recent episode with the large number of Eko flashbacks which culminated in his death by Giant Black Smoke Monster. It was definitely an on-camera affair.

First, it's Eko, not Echo.

Second, he was written out of the show because the actor's parents died and he wanted to do something else with his life for a while.

Third, he didn't die off screen. A few episodes ago he died quite vividly on-screen. You should see it. If you missed it, go to ABC.com and watch the episode online.

Arnwyn

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Why is time travel assumed? They never revealed that that's what was going on. In fact, there's no evidence that it was anything other than a lucid dream while he was unconscious.
Oh? No evidence? I think the fact that Desmond can quite clearly see the future - and then quite clearly stating that he's done this before - can be reasonably considered "evidence".

Though I agree with you in that I don't think it's "time travel" either - even the Lost writers aren't that stupid.

Remove ads