LOST (24 Apr 08 episode)

Krug said:
I duno.. the smoke monster thing almost smacks of deus ex machina... and you wonder why he didn't do it earlier. And I just thought things went downhill for Lost when it resorted to supernatural angles. "Oh we're in a bind. Now lets call the smoke monster." This is bad DMing! ;)

When would it have been useful to call? It seems like it just tore the guys to pieces. If he couldn't control who it attacked, he wouldn't have wanted to use it when either he or anyone he cared about would be endangered.

Felon

First Post
Yeah, I don't see calling on Smokey as being an option he's eager to avail himself of. He just reached a point where he didn't give a damn. We have no idea what he did to get it to come. He may well not have been controlling it so much as just luring it into the camp.

Arnwyn

First Post
I thought the episode stunk, unless Rousseau is alive, in which the episode becomes "adequate" (and I, too, am another one who thinks Lost went downhill when it started introducing all the supernatural elements).

However, I do like the introduction of this sort of "Cosmic Game" being played between Ben and Widmore. That's kind of a neat concept (hopefully Lost won't butcher it). And very pleased to see how Sayid started working for Ben - nice to see a good payoff in a reasonable amount of time.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Felon said:
Yeah, I don't see calling on Smokey as being an option he's eager to avail himself of. He just reached a point where he didn't give a damn. We have no idea what he did to get it to come. He may well not have been controlling it so much as just luring it into the camp.

Another thing to consider is that maybe Ben didn't so much call the Smoke Monster as just shut down the perimeter fence completely. In the aforementioned episode with Juliet and Kate, the thing was kind of lingering around the Others' camp, and the women only escaped it by opening and closing the fence behind them.

Remove ads