• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost 5/2/07 "The Brig" (spoilers)

Demmero

Explorer
Things I noticed:

1) Locke's dad called Ben "bug eyes," very similar to one of Sawyer's nicknames for Mr. Linus

2) Locke's dad acted almost nothing like we've seen him in all the previous flashbacks. Didn't seem like much of a con man. In fact, he gave out so much information that he convinced me that he was not actually Locke's dad.

3) Locke actually seems to believe some of what Ben says

4) I think Ben just neatly succeeded in carrying out Juliet's death sentence by allowing Locke to hear the tape recording, lettiing him see where it was stashed, and letting Locke steal it.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
He’s not heavy. He my dad.

Heh. I don’t think anyone will morn the passing of Anthony Cooper. And that plot line is nicely tied up. Jasper, Alabama, is also about 45-minutes from my parent’s house and is the closest place to them where you can by beer or liquor.

As much of a plotter as Benry is, he’s not in control of everything – I don’t think he plotted or planned to have Richard give Locke the file on Ford. I don’t know where Locke got the tape and players, but I am skeptical of whether or not Benry was in control of that – having Benry be the perfect mastermind controlling everything would strip his character and the story of drama, in addition to seeming to smack of sad wish fulfillment on part of the writers.

The discovery of a plane wreck at the bottom of a trench would be quite simple. The hoaxers would not even need to produce much in the way of material evidence. Presumably both the woman and Tony Tom heard about all of that through the news. Though Tony Tom was giving out a surprising amount of information.

And again, everyone is keeping secretly for the sake of keeping secrets and playing sad and sorry little head games with everyone else.

My mother is convinced they are all dead and in hell.

Demmero

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
As much of a plotter as Benry is, he’s not in control of everything – I don’t think he plotted or planned to have Richard give Locke the file on Ford. I don’t know where Locke got the tape and players, but I am skeptical of whether or not Benry was in control of that – having Benry be the perfect mastermind controlling everything would strip his character and the story of drama, in addition to seeming to smack of sad wish fulfillment on part of the writers.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. I seem to remember Alex warning Locke that her father was manipulating him, and that after Locke blew up the submarine, that Ben himself said something to that effect. I think it's waaaaay too sloppy for Ben to have Locke summoned and then be playing that sensitive tape knowing that he's got company on the way.

The Grumpy Celt said:
And again, everyone is keeping secretly for the sake of keeping secrets and playing sad and sorry little head games with everyone else.

Amen. Both Locke and Jack are turning into good little Others--being in on secrets and using that information to manipulate or use others.

hmm.... okay, what's with the bodies in the plane being found? Clones?

next week's episode looks like there's going to be a lot of tension between the Losties...

Banshee16

First Post
Jack made it quite evident that he's "in" on something. I was really hoping that he was going to be simply trying to manipulate Juliette, but now it appears that was wrong.

Banshee

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
David Howery said:
hmm.... okay, what's with the bodies in the plane being found?

It was likely all faked photographic evidence. I believe she said something to the effect that a mini-robotic-sub had been sent down to the supposed crash site down in the water. She never said anything about bodies being recovered. So, it was likely all faked photographic evidence.

Banshee16

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
It was likely all faked photographic evidence. I believe she said something to the effect that a mini-robotic-sub had been sent down to the supposed crash site down in the water. She never said anything about bodies being recovered. So, it was likely all faked photographic evidence.

And a faked plane? It's not like those go missing every day..

Banshee

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Banshee16 said:
And a faked plane?

The woman never said anything about any debris or wreckage being recovered, only that the plane was found. That was also likely part of the hoax, just an press release and photos of the plane down there in Davy Jones Locker.

Banshee16

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
The woman never said anything about any debris or wreckage being recovered, only that the plane was found. That was also likely part of the hoax, just an press release and photos of the plane down there in Davy Jones Locker.

I suppose that's possible, and in line with Occam's Razor.....ie. it's likely easier to fake photos and doctor some video, than for them to be in some parallel plane of reality, or to have them be cloned or something.

Banshee

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
So, what is Jack keeping from the rest of the castaways? What did he learn during his 10 days? I don't know if I am buying all that "oh, Juliet is working on our side and this was a plant for Ben". Yes, we know the Others are unhappy with Ben, that his hold was slipping but once an other, always an other, have to see how that turns out.

I am also a little confused about the term 'clouds', hey, we have seen those beautiful blue skys! Must be a cloaking device and I will go out on a limb and say Philadelphia Experiment, the use of an electro-magnetic field to hide an object! All James Clerk Maxwell, Albert Einstein, Tesla and others dealing with the unified field theory!

Remove ads