• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lost Mine of Phandelver (OOC)

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Ok, got my background done. I took the fighter's history with the village of Thundertree from the starter set and gave it a bit of a twist. ;) I'm thinking Gundren hired Aenwyr as a guide to the area.

Brother Dave

First Post
Still working on mine. Going with an acquaintance with Sildar, but I haven't worked out all the details yet. Thinking maybe as a knight he brushed elbows with Laucien's family in Waterdeep, and they somehow connected again in Neverwinter.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Done with Garuk Runestone, our Mountain Dwarf Wizard, unless somebody sees something I missed. I would like some DM input/help on the 'Discovery while in seclusion' for the Hermit Background. Any ideas? Connection to the adventure should be pretty obvious based on his description/background, but it'll keep him motivated all the way to the end to find that lost mine and get his grandfather buried properly.

Brother Dave

First Post
Okay, I've fleshed out Laucien a bit more and given him a tie to Sildar Hallwinter, as well as a his own reasons for wanting to go to Phandalin. Feel free to make any suggestions for changes.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Okay, so I have looked over the backgrounds for the starter set pre-gens, and some of the setting/history fluff from other GMs running this module, and I've put together a few concept ideas. As I usually do, I'm going to post some capsules here- if anyone (GM or other players) sees anything they like (or particularly DON'T like), let me know. I'll bat the concepts around some more and see if I can choose one. (Capsule ideas are based on the Neverwinter/FR setting, which seems to be the "base" for the scenario- if it is otherwise, I'll use similar cultural background but file off the FR names).

1. Yusuf ibn Shadar, called 'the Star-seeker': Half-elf Bard (Lore), will MC Warlock (Great Old Ones, tome), and plans to be mostly Warlock; Sage (astronomer), laced with Hermit. A classic 'crazed scholar' type, expelled from his university in Calimsham for prying in the Restricted sections of the library. His research into the star-charts has led him north- he is convinced that something of critical importance is going to happen soon, and his odd 'dreams' (From the patron about to break through into his mind) have led him here. Combined with the crazy wizard might be too much crazy in one party- or it might be just right...

2. Gwendyllin Arimina Brightstar ("Mina"): Half-elf Bard, will MC Warlock (Fey, chain) but stay mostly Bard (the flipside of the previous idea). Sage, laced with Noble. The daughter of a minor noble house in Cormyr, she was pushed into the life of an arcane scholar to preserve family traditions. She enjoyed walking the forests of the estate to get a break in her studies, and came upon an isolated cottage, where dwelt an "Old Elven Woman" who said she was Mina's Great-Grandmother- she passed along a great deal of interest, and only asked for little favors (like not mentioning the isolated cottage to the family, and some odd items from town... (In truth, obviously, she is a fey of some kind and Mina's future patron). When Mina's wrote a paper on the legends of the Forge of Spells as part of her "graduation" from school, her "great-grandmother" suggested she might find the place- Mina, hungry for adventure, agreed to the task, and her mentor provided a name of someone in Phandalin who might have useful information.

3. K'Letka the Ratcatcher: Halfling in mechanics terms, but actually a halfling/goblin half-breed, Bard (lore), will MC rogue as a crossbow sniper. Urchin, from the slums of Neverwinter. At odds with the Dead Rats of Neverwinter due to her heritage, she was offered a chance for acceptance if she would head to Phandalin to investigate the potential rival gang called the Redbrands (and monkeywrench them if they seem troublesome).

4. "Joy": Human; Fighter (Battllemaster) planning to MC Bard (Valor); Sailor (Pirate), laced with Entertainer (Gladiator); If he ever had another name, he never uses it, and he has been part of a pirate crew on the Sword Coast for years. He remembers his friends, though, and he heard that a particularly good friend had gotten into some trouble with a bunch calling themselves the Redbrands so he set out to help. Not sure if he would go with a glaive (and reach) or flail and shield.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
They all sound interesting to me. Mina is my favourite, but I'm just a fan of elves and fey in general so there you go. ;)

My only hesitation would be with K'Letka, only because of the halfling/goblin thing. Dunno why, particularly. The rest of her sounds fine, and I'd still play in a party with her and enjoy it. :)

Brother Dave

First Post
I don't know - K'Letka sounds kind of fun. :) Seriously, they're all good concepts, and I hope you get a chance to bring each one to life somewhere. But K'Letka and Mina are my favorites.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yeah, she does. Honestly I think it's just an aversion to weird half-breed characters ... I think I got an overdose of them in an adventure a long time ago and it kind of stuck, haha. Like I said, other than the half-goblin bit I like her, and I can get over that part. :)

pathfinderq1

First Post
As noted, mechanically she is a halfling- the only difference might be Goblin instead of Halfling as a language. The rest is just fluff. Advice is being taken into account for evaluation of concepts though.

Remove ads