D&D 5E Lost Mine of Phandelver

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
First Mina's arrow sprouted from the fleeing goblin's back, slowing it down, then Laucian caught up to it and impaled it on his rapier.

As the group enters the cave system, they note that the stream that pours out of the entrance continues on as far as they can see into the narrow cavern, turning to the right and out of sight.

Just inside the cave mouth, a few uneven stone steps lead up to a small, dank chamber on the east side of the passage. The cave narrows to a steep fissure at the far end, and is filled with the stench of animals. Savage snarls and the sounds of rattling chains greet your ears where three wolves are chained up just inside the opening. Each wolf's chain leads to an iron rod driven into the base of a stalagmite.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I'm thinking it probably hasn't been 10 minutes since I finished the Speak with Animals ritual... hopefully that jives with you, Kiraya.[/sblock]
A look of great sadness falls upon Aenwyr's face as he enters the cave and sees the wolves. The magic of his ritual still lingering in his mind, the elf sheaths his scimitar and shows his palms to the beasts as he takes a few steps towards them (though staying back from where he estimates their chains can reach). He directs a few rumbling growls and soft barks towards the wolves, completely unintelligible to the rest of his party.
[sblock=Wolvish]I am sorry the green ones chain you in iron. We can release you if you swear to do no harm to us. You could seek revenge on the green ones for your chains, or take your freedom in the woods.[/sblock]
The druid stays silent and still, unthreatening, as he waits for the wolves' response. I do not know if they despise their chains as much as I, but the offer must be made. Whether the wolves love or hate the goblins, I will exact vengeance on them for chaining nature so.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Selari watches the group do their various activities; talking to themselves, speaking gibberish to animals, whatever other weirdness was going on. At least they were proficient in taking care of the goblins outside. She waits a moment for her keen elf eyes to adjust to the dark, then she also takes a wide path around the wolves before slowly continuing past them.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Mina trailed along behind the others as they headed into the cave. She even paused beside the goblin's corpse for a moment, obviously considering whether or not she wanted to recover her arrow- in the end she couldn't quite bring herself to wrench the shaft from the creature's body.

Once inside, she paused, wary of the wolves and waiting to see what the others planned to do about the beasts. Was there enough room to get past them? And if there was, did they want to leave such dangerous creatures behind them, possibly blocking the only exit?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The wolves allow Aenwyr to approach, eager to be free, responding, in their basic way of communicating that they will gladly run far from this place.

Once freed from the chain, they rush past the rest of the party and out of the cave, howling in excitement.

Beyond the wolves' chains, in the back of their small den, is a fissure in the east wall that angles upward sharply. At the bottom of the fissure is discarded bones and filth, apparently trash dropped down here from the chamber above.

The stream at the wolves' den entrance continues northward, turning gradually eastward and out of sight, with a narrow ledge along the eastern bank. About 25 feet north from the wolves' den entrance is a tunnel branching off the stream-tunnel, heading west.

Xeterog

Explorer
Up, along the river, or over--which way to go now? If they throw trash down here, we might be able to catch them unawares going up.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Garuk looks up the shaft going into the darkness before walking away to talk in quiet whispers to the others. "Be careful that our voices don't echo up that hole and alert anyone..up there.", he points toward the hole. "Even if all of us CAN climb up that hole... quietly mind you... is there enough cover up there to hide us until we're all up there together? Or is someone gonna get spotted and leave us all split up fighting on multiple fronts? I'd just as soon stick together and forge ahead one way or the other, but that's me and grandpa. What about the rest of you?"

Remove ads