LOTR Question - Orcs

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
CRGreathouse said:

Non-dwarves can't tell them apart, but could if they realized that no beard = female?

It's basically 1 sentence of description. I always took it to mean that they were of similar build. Dwarves seemed to go about cowled anyway in Tolkien's work. Why would Tolkien make them bearded? We have a few decades of gaming tradition behind us to condition us into accepting it (which was probably inspired by this tiny bit of Tolkien's work), but Tolkien wouldn't have. With the way he places women on pedestals in his work, I'd be very surprised if he really meant for dwarven women to have beards. Is there a tradition of this in English or Norse folklore, which inspired Tolkien?

A2Z

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
Is there a tradition of this in English or Norse folklore, which inspired Tolkien?
Are there any female dwarves in mythology? I think as a mythical being that gender isn't really mentioned in relation to dwarves.

bolen

First Post
you may not have bearded female dwarves but that is pure fantasy. Even Tolkein knew better back in the 1940's when he wrote those books that copied Gygax's writting.

G.A. Donis

First Post
www.tolkienonline.com has a group of people that seem to take this Lord of the Rings stuff pretty seriously and would probably be a good place to get confilicting answers (opinions) on all things Tolkein :D

I read a thread there about the "proper color of hair" for Legolas and his elvish ancestory. Anybody that can argue about Legolas' hair color surely can add something (worthwhile or not) to Orc traits :D

Anyone who would argue his hair color is the LAST person I want to have any kind of discussion with on any subject. ;)

G.A. Donis said:
www.tolkienonline.com has a group of people that seem to take this Lord of the Rings stuff pretty seriously and would probably be a good place to get confilicting answers (opinions) on all things Tolkein :D

I read a thread there about the "proper color of hair" for Legolas and his elvish ancestory. Anybody that can argue about Legolas' hair color surely can add something (worthwhile or not) to Orc traits :D

G.A. Donis

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Anyone who would argue his hair color is the LAST person I want to have any kind of discussion with on any subject. ;)

That's a good point. That's where the worthwhile or not comes into play :)

I've always considered myself a pretty big fan of Middle Earth, but I'm probably not even a level1 commoner compared to some of the people there. But that's good, it make me feel less geeky :D

Remove ads