The One Ring (and ME RPGs in general)

Reynard

Legend
Things I had forgotten until recently that would be great inspiration for a ME campaign:

1) Sauron does not die when the ring is destroyed but becomes a mere shadow of his former power, an evil wraith that whispers in the darkness. Nor does the end of the Ring destroy his evil servants. they must be hunted down.

2) During his youth, Aragorn went incognito to the East and Umbar to gather intelligence and help foment rebellion against Sauron. That would be a cool campaign setup.

niklinna

satisfied?
All they had to do is say a Great Eagle carried you there. :)
They could have at least animated it, like the gryphon rides back in World of Warcraft! But then it wouldn't be teleporting, which is apparently what the MMO kids want these days (I mean, they've wanted it for a while!).

Aldarc

Legend
We all know that LOTRO isn't a TTRPG, right?
I think that people are aware without you telling them so.

You are aware that you never specified, right?

The thread title is about "[Middle Earth] RPGs in general" and not specifically TTRPGs. You even said that the purpose of the thread is to have "a thread where we can talk about The One Ring and other Middle Earth RPGs." LOTRO is a computer RPG. 🤷‍♂️

Reynard

Legend
I think that people are aware without you telling them so.

You are aware that you never specified, right?

The thread title is about "[Middle Earth] RPGs in general" and not specifically TTRPGs. You even said that the purpose of the thread is to have "a thread where we can talk about The One Ring and other Middle Earth RPGs." LOTRO is a computer RPG. 🤷‍♂️
::looks at forum title::
I don't even know what to say.

I like the default time and place of TOR, but do sort of feel it is too comfortably nestled in between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. If I want to run a game that is about the personals tories of people in that world, it's fine. But if I am of a mind to do something more epic and consequential, it does feel a little bit limiting or irrelevant even.

Just wanted to point out/remind people that the time period between The Hobbit and LotR was used because that is what the rights limited them to using. Free League, and Cubicle 7 before them, uses the rights that Sophisticated Games got from Middle-Earth Ent.

Aldarc

Legend
::looks at forum title::
I don't even know what to say.
If you don't have any words, then I do. I would say that it's also the forum where we can find a busy Unpopular Opinions thread that is filled mostly with non-TTRPG discussion. I would say that people don't need reminded that LOTRO isn't a TTRPG. Ultimately, I would say that it doesn't matter that people are choosing to discuss a MMORPG in this thread. 🤷‍♂️

Gratuitous.
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Remove ads