• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low-Magic Campaign Experiment

Brain

First Post
the Jester said:
Word of Recall is okay for the setting and flavor I want because it's escape-only. Though highly useful, it also means that if a character uses it to escape after journeying for hundreds of miles on their quest, they're journeying hundreds of miles again. I have just begun mulling whether I like this or not.
It isn't only an escape spell, it could save you a return journey of hundreds of miles once said quest was finished. Or, a clever pair of casters could use it to ferry people or objects back and forth from their respective sanctuaries.

Overall, I'm intrigued by this setting. I wouldn't really call what I've seen so far "low-magic" but rather "less-developed magic". It seems as though magic will still be a huge part of things.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
If you allow Clerics access to [teleport] magic, you should allow Wizards access to better [teleport] magic. Consider moving word of recall to the Sorc/Wiz list.

If you're going to give Clerics the best utility spells (because they're "domain specific" or for whatever reason), maybe you should just cut Sorc/Wiz entirely. As things are in Core 3.5e, Wizards feel kinda stiffed when a Cleric with the Travel domain comes along.

Some solutions:
1/ Do you really need a Travel domain? It was initially invented for a very Greyhawk-specific god.
2/ Do you really need to have one spell at every spell-level for Domains? Why not just give three or four extra spells *total*? Seriously, for the Travel Domain, your spell list could be: Endure Elements, Longstrider, Phantom Mount. That's three good spells, two of them stolen from other spell lists, and thus much more valuable.

-- N

the Jester

Legend
Word Lock locks something shut unless you speak the password.

In my 'standard' campaign, it's also a bard spell, and they can set it to open only to someone who matches the Perform check they make when casting it.

Good points about teleportation magic, word of recall and the travel domain, but I'm not sure what to replace it with for Mithandor, either as a domain or as a spell. Suggestions?

As to the general utility of wizard spells, the basic list is intended to simplify and set a basic 'role' for wizards. Other spells are going to be out there, but hard to find and rare. Having a unique spell really gives an edge to the wizard in this sort of setting, which also helps bring the 1e 'no easy spell sharing' flavor to the Year 271 Campaign (which I want).

I do want domains to offer 1 spell of each level, since you only get one domain and otherwise some characters will benefit more than others at some levels. I never liked that paradigm for balance.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
It is unfortunate, isn't it, that this basic spell-list is not found within the PHB. Maybe they'll reshuffle them for 4th edition, eh?

There are several spells that I don't recognize, but I don't have complete adventurer yet. Are all the spells found in the Complete books? Does CV mean "complete adventurer"?

the Jester

Legend
Cheiromancer said:
There are several spells that I don't recognize, but I don't have complete adventurer yet. Are all the spells found in the Complete books? Does CV mean "complete adventurer"?

CV is indeed Complete Adventurer.

A goodly number of the non-PH spells are from my homebrewed Cydra Players Guide. If you're interested, you can check out the 'spells' doc in my Yahoo group (Cydra is the group's name).

the Jester

Legend
Brain said:
Overall, I'm intrigued by this setting. I wouldn't really call what I've seen so far "low-magic" but rather "less-developed magic". It seems as though magic will still be a huge part of things.

Well, not less developed so much as kind of 'lost lore.' Think of the scrabbling for spell formulae etc in the Dying Earth stories. "Well, our ancestors had the secrets of instantaneous travel, but we don't know how they did it..."

A related note on the topic: think how much more valuable an item like boots of teleportation becomes when there is no teleport spell!

Mavnn

First Post
the Jester said:
A related note on the topic: think how much more valuable an item like boots of teleportation becomes when there is no teleport spell!

About valuable enough to get you murdered in your sleep, I would think :).

Remove ads