[LPF] Distant Relations

jkason

First Post
Distant Relatives

Player: Character
[MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION]: Elenka Danyllova, human summoner 3 (9/26/11-1/4/2012), human summoner 4 (1/5/12)
[MENTION=6673727]Qik[/MENTION]: Quioan Scorchsong, elven wiz 1 / ranger 1 (9/26/11-9/30/11), elven wiz 1/ ranger 2 (10/1/11)
[MENTION=100541]toasterferret[/MENTION]: Anna Belacqua, human sorceress 3 (9/26/11-11/17/11), human sorceress 4 (11/18/11-1/04/12). Exited 1/4/12.
[MENTION=100214]deisenhut[/MENTION]: Yoshiki Akita, human monk 3 (9/26/11-10/28/11), human monk (Elemental Fist) 4 (10/29/11)
Artur Hawkwing: Audra Frost, human monk (Ki Mystic) 3, joined 01/02/12

Commander Parsons sits impatiently atop his horse as you arrive. Next to him, at the gangplank of a nondescript, small-sailed barge, is a gangly (for his race) dwarf. Behind him, a dirty and disheveled half-elf works to load the last of the cargo.

"This is Renlow," Parsons says quickly by way of introduction. The dwarf gives a slight smile and nod of his head. "He's taking you on for his cargo trip to the Ouhm as a favor to me. Don't make me regret calling in favors.

"I've sent word ahead to Inar, so he'll know you're coming. You'll want to look for him in The Hidden Clearing feast hall when you get to Martna. He'll fill you in from there.

"And now, I have a patrol,"
Parsons says. "Which, gods willing, will be wonderfully quiet and full of nothing more than commoners and merchants."

Unless the PC's make a move to stop him, the White Cloak clops off at a brisk pace, returning to his regular work and leaving you in the care of the dwarf and his barge.

[sblock=general guidelines]This is only my second PbP. Qik had to suffer through my first attempt. In any case, here are the guidelines I have. Please let me know if anything's not clear or you have major problems with anything. I know last time there was a bit of confusion about group initiative. In any case:

* Barring unforseen circumstances, I should be able to post at least once a day during the week. I'm online much less over the weekend, so I wouldn't expect much more than one post (possibly none) over the weekend. Usually I'll respond to whomever has posted since I last did (whether or not that's all PC's) if we're just in a conversational scene. If it's not clear to me, I'll ask for a thumbs up from all players before I move PC's to a new scene. I try to check the game I DM first any time I'm on, but feel free to make use of the mention feature if you think I've lost track of you guys. :)

* For combat, I prefer group initiative / first-post, with the exception of surprise and / or 1st rounds. At that point in combat, everyone hasn't gone yet, and there are enough effects (especially related to flat-footedness) that I don't want to muck with. The general rule, then, is that we use NORMAL initiative until all characters (PC and NPC) have taken a first action. From there forward, combat will run in two chunks: PC's and NPC's. At that point, actions happen in the order they're posted by players during the PC phase. You can always choose to post that you're delaying until after another player if he or she hasn't posted by the time you're ready to.

[sblock=example]The group happens upon pack of goblins. They're pretty sneaky, but one of the goblins hears them coming. Sadly, he's the mute no one likes, so the others remain surprised. All PC's and the goblin, then, can act in the surprise round. PC's roll:

PC A: 16
PC B: 15
PC C: 13
Goblins (Rolled as a group): 12
PC D: 8

In the surprise round, everyone acts in order: PC A, then PC B, PC C, the single unsurprised Goblin, Then PC D.

In round 1, since there are still goblins who have not acted, we maintain normal initiative until we reach the point where they first act (initiative slot 12). So, the round goes like this:

PC A
PC B
PC C
ALL GOBLINS
ALL PCs, first-post, first to act.

It might seem like PC D gets shorted in this scenario, but the number of actions each PC is getting between NPC attacks stays the same. I just find that, when there's no particular mechanical need for it, it speeds things up a bit to let folks post when their schedules permit, without having to throw a bunch of conditions on the post and / or edit attacks based on what someone higher in initiative but later in posting does. Retcons are messy, and anything that mitigates the delays already built into PbP is helpful, I think.[/sblock]

* I'll give at least 24 hours on a combat round for everyone to act, and will try to mention anyone who hasn't acted by then and give them a little more time, as well. At the 48 hour mark, I'll either declare that your PC doesn't act (most likely), or if a simple action is obvious from previous rounds, I'll make that action. You're welcome to assign others as wardens of your PC's in the event of a planned absence.

* You should feel free to make your own rolls, whether those are attack or skill checks. You can use the EN World roller, or the roller on Invisible Castle (please provide a link in your post if you use the latter). Feel free to try any skill you think might be applicable. I'm always willing to consider a non-standard use of a skill, provided you sell it well enough. If you just post: "roll Know:Nature to aid a Bluff," I'm likely to laugh loudly. If, however, you manage to make a case that your extensive knowledge of native roots and herbs can make the Bluffing character sound more authentic as the Bluffing character attempts to fool someone into thinking he's a botanist, that's the kind of effort that makes things more fun and is much more likely to work. :)

* Caveat to the above: I may make some rolls in secret whether you think to actively use a skill or not. Perception is the obvious one, but not necessarily the only one. Roll Perception as you like, of course, for active spotting and the like; just don't be surprised if

* I try to keep track of resources (Prepared / used spells, per-day abilities used, etc), but it's always lovely if the players help out there, since there's no guarantee I'll have it right, or that my mistake will be in your favor (as, for example, I may forget or miss that you've got one or more buffs or conditional bonuses I should be applying).[/sblock]

[sblock=Experience and Treasure Tracking]

For final treasure splits, see This post

Time Awards:

Anna: 4757 starting XP (level 3)
Level 4 on 11/12/2011

Time XP (9/26/2011-12/29/2011): 1739
Time GP (9/26/2011-12/29/2011): 1974 gp

Elenka: Elenka: Starting XP 3550 (level 3)
Level 4 on 1/2/2012

Time XP (9/26/2011-2/27/2012): 2702
Time GP (9/26/2011-2/27/2012): 3066 gp

Quioan: Starting XP 3227 (Level 2)
Level 3 on 9/30/2011
Level 4 on 2/8/2012

Time XP (9/26/2011-2/27/2012): 2427
Time GP (9/26/2011-2/27/2012): 2746 gp

Yoshiki: Starting XP 5135 (Level 3)
Level 4 on 10/17/2011
Level 5 on 2/8/2012

Time XP (9/26/2011-2/27/2012): 3336
Time GP (9/26/2011-2/27/2012): 3796 gp

Audra: Starting XP 3700 (3rd level)
4th level 2/25/2012

Time XP (1/2/2012-2/27/2012): 854
Time Gold (1/2/2012-2/27/2012): 968 gp

* Eel Encounter

Experience: 600 xp
Treasure: CLW wand (25 charges)

* Halfling Pirates

Experience: 1600 xp
Treasure:
+ Alchemist's fire x8
+ CLW potion x4
+ 100 pp, 28 gp, 16 sp (coin and loot sold to Phineas Renlow)

* Breaking the Baker: 1200 xp

Anna ineligible for further awards / written out (12/29/11)

Spider Encounter

Experience: 400 (3 way split)

Enter Audra

Treasure, second floor 1:
Herald's room:52 gp
a pair of silver dice (worth 5 gp)
unidentified scroll (enchantment compulsion)
Herald rooms: 23 silver holy symbols
A single application of oil of invisibility (used Yoshiki)
+1 Cold Iron Heavy mace
Herald room:potion of gaseous form
Bag of holding, type 1
Large room: 50 pp
potion of invisibility (used Quioan)
unidentified statue (enchantment)

Bi-level Grand Guignol at the Temple:

Experience: 4400 XP

Available Loot:

Acolyte x1:
short sword,
daggers (2),
sap,
studded leather armor,
light wooden shield
10 gp

Priests x3 (each priest has the following):
potions of cure light wounds x2
smokestick
masterwork rapier,
light crossbow with 20 bolts,
sap,
+1 studded leather armor
masterwork light steel shield,
sunrod (2),
thieves tools,
10 gp

Garthia:
Brooch of Shielding
potion Cure Moderate Wonds x2
potion of Stabilize
wand of shield (42 charges)
ring of protection +1

Tarkan

XP: 1600
Treasure: +1 Greatclub

Story Award: 2400 xp [/sblock]

Attachments

• Distant part 1.xls
    204 KB · Views: 310
  • Distant part 2.xls
    203 KB · Views: 314
  • Distant part 3.xls
    204 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka arrives at the dock with Drevezh'korol tromping woodenly behind with a large trunk clutched in his massive arms. Elenka is no longer dressing the part of a refined lady but is instead clad in practical traveling clothes freshly cleaned from her foray into Venza's underbelly. She makes note of the information imparted by Commander Parsons and waves farewell as he rides off. Turning back to the dwarf, Renlow, she respectfully bows.

"Greetings, Captain Renlow. I am Elenka Danyllova and this is my guardian Drevezh'korol. The trunk can be stowed; I'll have no need of it until we reach our destination. If you could tell me where to go so I can be out of the way of your men as they work...?"

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 3
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +5

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/4 remaining.
Special: Summon Monster 2 6/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +1 Perception: +0; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 15 (11 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 29 Current: 29
CMB: +7 CMD: 18 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +3

In Hand:
Conditions: [/sblock][sblock=Re: Guidelines]jkason, I like them overall but a couple of questions/comments.

Initiative
Are you rolling initiative or are we? I don't care either way but if it speeds things up I'm more than fine with you rolling it.

Also, have you encountered perrinmiller's method of initiative? It is very similar to yours except he rolls initiative for everyone, averages the initiatives for a group initiative. If anyone on the losing initiative side beats the initiative of everyone on the winning side that individual gets to act once before everyone else.

For example, the party encounters 4 goblins. Initiatives for the players are P1: 13, P2: 15, P3: 16, P4: 9 (Group Initiative: 13). Initiatives for the goblins are G1: 4, G2: 7, G3: 9, G4: 18 (Group Initiative: 9). The players win initiative but goblin 4 gets an action (while players are still flat-footed) before anyone else because of his exceptional initiative roll. Then the players act in posting order, then all the goblins (including goblin 4).

From what I can tell, not much different than your method but I think it simplifies that first round a bit. Something to think about using if you are interested in it.

Resource Management
Having us track our own resources in a mini-statblock type thing helps considerably. As a DM I've done it both ways and I find it simplifies things if the players help keep track of that information.

Your Caveat
jkason said:
Roll Perception as you like, of course, for active spotting and the like; just don't be surprised if
If? If what? Arrgh! <runs around in a panic> :lol:
[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Quioan arrives at the dock just as Elenka and her eidolon are greeting the commander. Nodding a greeting to the ships captain, he gives a slightly curter one to the White Cloak as he takes his leave. Smiling a greeting to Elenka, and giving her eidolon a once-over, more than anything else, he begins to board the ship. "I don't mean to ask the predictable question, good woman, but what praytell creature is that? I have never seen such a thing, let alone one so amiable with what some refer to as the civilized races."

[sblock]Still waiting on confirmation on the numbers from The Mightiest Weapon, but it looks like Quioan is ~300 XP shy of level 3, just FYI. Once that gets sussed out, I'll do a bit of shopping in the Mystic Pearl, but I didn't want that to hold up my IC post.

Don't let the humble talk fool you, gang; jk's first adventure was fantastically well-run. I'm glad to have the chance to be a part of his second.[/sblock][sblock=Stats] Quioan Scorchsong
HP: 15/15
AC: 15 (Touch: 15, Flat-footed: 10)
CMD: 18
Fort: +3, Ref: +8, Will: +4
Perception: +8
Spells:
- 0: Light, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound
- 1: Mage Armor, Gravity Bow, Enlarge Person
Bonded Item: Unused[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
GM: I'm going to hold off another IC post just in case Anna or Yosh want to stop Parsons for anything. I already mentioned their players in the first post, so hopefully they'll check in soonish. In the meantime, though, the OOC stuff. The following is only sblocked for space. Everyone should still take a gander:

[sblock=OOC]
Are you rolling initiative or are we? I don't care either way but if it speeds things up I'm more than fine with you rolling it.

Usually, apart from secret rolls or rolls for someone who is MIA, I prefer players to roll, so I don't feel guilty if bad rolls result. :) however...

Also, have you encountered perrinmiller's method of initiative? It is very similar to yours except he rolls initiative for everyone, averages the initiatives for a group initiative. If anyone on the losing initiative side beats the initiative of everyone on the winning side that individual gets to act once before everyone else.

I like simpler, though it looks like there's still some first-round losses for folks who benefit most from flat-feet. Namely, in the case where the opposition wins the average, but an individual player beats only some but not all of them. There aren't sneak-attackers in this party, but hitting a flatfooted AC is still a nice bump.

Okay, I'll leave this one up to you guys. Take a look at GlassEye's post on averaging initiative, and let me know if you're okay with it (I think I can assume GlassEye already is. :) ). If you're all on board, we'll do that.

Your Caveat

If? If what? Arrgh! <runs around in a panic> :lol:

That was actually a typo. Sorry. I was going to expound on situations where you might not make a check but I might, and then I figured it was overkill, but apparently I didn't delete the whole sentence. Sorry about that. :)

Still waiting on confirmation on the numbers from The Mightiest Weapon, but it looks like Quioan is ~300 XP shy of level 3, just FYI. Once that gets sussed out, I'll do a bit of shopping in the Mystic Pearl, but I didn't want that to hold up my IC post.

Actually, if the numbers I just looked at are right, looks like Quioan has enough to be level 3 all on his own (at least, when I added the final award to what you have listed as his current XP on the wiki sheet?)

Since the group will ostensibly be traveling for a while, we can sort out if he's leveled or not and what he's purchased as the characters get to know one another and plan, I think. And if he is short, I can put back in one of the random encounters the original module has that I stripped for the sake of speed.[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I'm fine with either method of initiative. I happen to be using perrinmiller's method for the adventure I'm currently running, and it certainly seems streamlined, but I think as long as we have a group of relatively active posters, your method isn't going to be a problem, and it does make rolling a higher initiative all the more beneficial. So, as much as I hate to take the easy way out, I'll leave it for others to decide. :)

The XP number at the top of Q's sheet actually includes the first encounter from The Mightiest Weapon, so, judging by the numbers Mowgli posted, he's currently ~150 short.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Drevezh'korol turns his leafy-carved head towards Quioan and flexes his massive age-darkened hands around the trunk he still holds.

"This creature is a wood-king, blessed son of Lesovik the wild King of the Chernyj Wood. I only refrain from ripping you limb from limb because I have been tasked to carry my charge's trunk."

Elenka half smirks half glares at Drevezh'korol but transforms it into a smile of humor when she responds to Quioan.

"That about covers it. Except he's from Lesovik's realm in the Other World, where I can return him if he doesn't behave. His name is Drevezh'korol but sometimes our names can be a mouthful for those unfamiliar with our native tongue; he'll answer to Drev, if you find that easier to manage."

"Then who would carry your baggage?"

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 3
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +5

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/4 remaining.
Special: Summon Monster 2 6/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +1 Perception: +0; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 15 (11 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 29 Current: 29
CMB: +7 CMD: 18 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +3

In Hand: Elenka's trunk
Conditions: [/sblock][sblock=Re: Guidelines]I'm fine with initiative either way. Whatever you and the others prefer, jkason.[/sblock]

deisenhut

First Post
Yoshiki Akita (Human Monk 3)

As the others are boarding the barge, Yoshiki comes running down the pier. "Good, I didn't miss you guys. I got caught up with something and... it doesn't matter. I made it."

As he crosses the gangplank, his usual travel bag on his back and strapped to his shoulders, he looks up at Drev. "Good to see you again my wooden friend." He says with a short bow. "Hopefully I won't be subjected to such a small stature this time."

Turning to the dwarf, "This must be your ship. I am Yoshiki Akita. Request permission to come aboard!" Assuming the dwarf responds affirmatively, "I'll follow them" gesturing to the others. "Did Commander Parsons already leave?"

[sblock=ooc]I'm good with whatever the GM does for initiative. I liked how GlassEye did it for his last module. Seems similar to what you are proposing.

I've created a ministat block and will add below. Doesn't have all the nice color/bold formatting since I'm storing it in a text file. The earlier levels I didn't have much to maintain. But now I'm starting to get a few things. What's a good way to store my stats to include the EN World text formatting?
[/sblock]
[sblock=Ministats]Initiative: +4
AC: 17 (Touch 17 Flatfooted 12)
HP: 22/22
CMB: +7 CMD: 19 Fort: +3 Reflex: +7 Will: +5 (+2 vs. Enchantment)
Defensive Abilities: Evasion, Deflect Arrows
Conditions in Effect: none
Speed: 40 ft
Elemental Fist: 3/3 remaining
Ki Pool: 0/0 remaining
[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Quioan looks momentarily stunned by Drev's retort, though it's hard to say whether it's due to his perception of a slight, or of the being's more general demonstration of sentience. Recovering, the elf bows low to the wood-creature. "My apologies, Drevezh'korol Wood-king; being unfamiliar with your kind, I woefully misjudged your acuity. I demand better of myself, and am therefore humbled in my error." Quioan smiles slightly at Elenka's joke, and is comforted by the ease at which she handles her companion, but it's clear he's been somewhat rattled by the exchange.

Boarding the ship, he finds a spot to take a seat on the deck, and he makes himself comfortable on the barge. [sblock=Stats]
Quioan Scorchsong
HP: 15/15
AC: 15 (Touch: 15, Flat-footed: 10)
CMD: 18
Fort: +3, Ref: +8, Will: +4
Perception: +8
Spells:
- 0: Light, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound
- 1: Mage Armor, Gravity Bow, Enlarge Person
Bonded Item: Unused[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
"Greetings, Captain Renlow. I am Elenka Danyllova and this is my guardian Drevezh'korol. The trunk can be stowed; I'll have no need of it until we reach our destination. If you could tell me where to go so I can be out of the way of your men as they work...?"

The dwarven captain finds himself dumbstruck by the lumbering wooden servant Elenka introduces. He's still staring when the young woman asks about stowing her gear.

"I ... well ..." Renlow shakes his head to clear it. "The cabin's in the back. Nevil can show ye," here he indicates the grimy half-elf deckhand. "Nevil! Help the lady and her ... um ..."

Quioan arrives at the dock just as Elenka and her eidolon are greeting the commander. Nodding a greeting to the ships captain, he gives a slightly curter one to the White Cloak as he takes his leave. Smiling a greeting to Elenka, and giving her eidolon a once-over, more than anything else, he begins to board the ship. "I don't mean to ask the predictable question, good woman, but what praytell creature is that? I have never seen such a thing, let alone one so amiable with what some refer to as the civilized races."

"Then who would carry your baggage?"

The half-elf has watched the brief exchange, but now speaks up.

"Is totem-self for wood spirit," he says to his dwarven captain, rolling his eyes in frustration. "I is not understand why you are not knowing this. City livings must scare away good spirits," he grumbles. Reaching the eidolon, he bows deeply to Drevezh'korol.

"I is honored for having spirit come blessing our ship," he says, then he shuffles forward to relieve him of the trunk. "Honored spirit is not needings carry burdons. Is Nevilantura's honor for carrying." With that he makes his way aft to a stair-ladder belowdecks.

[sblock=Quioan, or Know:Geography 15]Quioan can't help but recognize the accent of his previous companion's homeland in Nevil's speech. He clearly hails from Jirago[/sblock]

Turning to the dwarf, "This must be your ship. I am Yoshiki Akita. Request permission to come aboard!"

The lanky dwarf seems relieved to have a distraction from what's gone before, and smiles heartily. He nods his head. "Captain Renlow at your service," he says. "Welcome aboard The Downpour, friends. The cabin's below and aft. Only got the one, but Nevil put up a privacy curtain after Parsons told us there'd be ladies about.

"He did say ladies, plural? I take it we're waiting on one more soul, then?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]I keep my statblock on my character sheet on the wiki but I rarely copy from there. It is much easier to quote my previous post, have it all automatically go into my post and just type over the parts I don't need. And that's why you'll sometimes see [/QUOTE] at the bottom of my post when I forget to delete it. :LOL: [/sblock]

Remove ads