[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=idea]Jkason, you just gave me an idea![/sblock]

Heinrich scratches his thinly haired chin, then stops and starts to concentrate. He looks about to see if there is a necrotic trail that might stand out as being from another direction other then from the crypts.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien shrugged, not really able to do more than Eanos to track undead.

Her mind had also caught on the spirit’s body potentially residing in the ocean might be that connection they found at the scene of the latest murder.

“So finding the bones might mean going underwater? I suppose that can be solved with the right spell to breath…”

“Actually, is there not a location spell that could be used to find the bones so we need not ask the crime lords?”
she asked Heinrich, who she assumed would know of such spells.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 72 Current: 69
CMB: +10 CMD: 29(22ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Harry scratches his head in thought. "I don't know an exact number. I don't think anyone does. Both the Syndicate and the Crew wouldn't want the other to know how bad they've been hurt, so I expect they've been under-reporting how bad they've been got. And it also doesn't pay to advertise the sailors that've been in the wrong place at the wrong time, either. Best I can figure ... five weeks ... three attacks a week ... two bodies per attack ... I'd guess that'd be around thirty or so, all told. But that's a rough number, sir. And it's not counting the fishermen that might have got killed, either."

It's difficult to sniff around the graveyard, given the overpowering scent of decay and undeath, but Eanos does manage to catch a brief whiff of the rot-and-seawater smell, although it's older, as if the source hasn't been here for several days ... a week at least. There's also a scent of perfume, similarly aged. The trail of risen undead leads back toward the town, and it's easy enough to follow to the outskirts, but once the scent trail leads into the town proper, it's quickly overwhelmed by the everyday business of the city.

BH_150.jpg

. . . . Blind Harry . . . .

[sblock=OOC]It's mid-afternoon by my reckoning. You arrived late morning, then spent about an hour at the crime scene, an hour and a half to the cemetery (including time to loot bodies and interrogate Cheesewright), and hour at the cemetery poking around, and about a half hour or an hour back. Let's say it's 2 or 3 PM.

Locate Object/Locate Creature might possibly work assuming that your target isn't magically shielded and is on dry ground. If the target is in the ocean, however, tides and currents might interfere with the 'no running water' part of the spell.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

"Catching that sea smell and death mix here like the crime scene, but at least a week old," he shakes his head, then cocks it to one side, raising an eyebrow.

"Also, though ... perfume. Been here 'bout as long. Could be our 'her,' yes?" he offers. The inquisitor closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, trying to lock the fragrance into his memory.

Once the others are ready, he leads them back toward town along the undead scent trail, but sighs as they reach the edge of town. He sniffs the air in a few different directions, but finally admits, "Gone. They came into town, but dunno which way they went.

"Probably The Crew murder site's our next best bet for picking anything up,"
he says. As he waits for agreement from the others, he frowns as his attention catches on something Harry's said.

"Harry, the fishermen ... how'd they die? Maybe more important: where and when?"

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:68 Current: 61
Senses: Perception 19 (23 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 22/26
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +6 (+8 w/ purity, +9 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+10 w/ purity, +11 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +10 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 24/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 23/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 10/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 1/3 Remaining
Determination: 3/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 3/6 remaining
Bane: 4/9 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 7/9 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 75'/90' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (2/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Heinrich shakes his head,"Ocean water moves und messes up the magic. Also I bet the body was magicked to not be found."

I goes back to thinking then, "Locate object would search for a little over 700 feet for 9 minutes, for me, but creatures cannot be found. To scry might work. I would need A silver mirror worth at least 1000 gold to focus through. I can cast that as I have it in my book, but I would do better if I knew the subject.
. . . . .
There is a spell to contact the other planes, but it has great . . . . . risks"

for the dm reference: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/scrying

[sblock=stat block] Init +2, Perception +10 Move 30'

AC: 12[base]; 14 [w/ shield spell]; 16 [w/ Ablative Barrier spell]; 18 [w/ shield and abl barr]
touch: 12; Flat Foot: 10 [shield or ablative barrier may apply]

AC: 16 touch: 16; Flat Foot: 10 cat's grace and shield

HP: 38/38 Fort: +5, Reflex +7, Will +9, BAB +4, CMB +4, CMD 16

Consumables: Wand of CLW [cl1] 50/50 charges; Wand of Magic Missiles [CL1] 45/50 charges
oil x 6 pints; sun rods x 6; Alchemist fire x 1; Scroll [stone shape cl 7]
In hand: Dagger
Effects:
light source: Lamp, common; cantrip: light [dur: 90 mins]
Per day use abilities:
Fire jet DC 16 [Used: 1/8]

Dancing flame [used 0/4]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Wizard Spells prepared]
0 Level * acid splash * Detect Magic * Light * Resistance

level 1: * comp lang * Burning Hands(ev,E,*)* ear pierce scream * magic missile
* magic missile * shield * Shield
pearl of power lv 1: Feather fall
pearl of power lv 1: Magic missile
pearl of power lv 1: Magic Missile

level 2: * Cat's grace * False Life * Flaming Sphere [ev,E] * Resist Energy [E] * Scorching Ray [ev, E]
* Levitate
pearl of power lv 2: Cat's grace
pearl of power lv 2: scorching ray (ev,E)

level 3: * Fire ball (**,ev,E)* Haste* Haste* ablative barrier* lightning bolt
pearl of power lv 3: ablative barrier

level 4: * summon monster 4 (E)* summon monster 4 (E)* stone skin* stone skin

level 5: * lightning arc* wall of force* Elemental body [E]
Legend:
( - ) denotes a cast spell
(*) cast at +1 level (trait)
(**) cast at +2 levels (Feat)
(E) elemental: flame school
(ev) evocation
(A) denotes changed to acid
(&) takes 2 spell slots to cast
(#) recalled via pearl of power
(E,A) denotes 50% fire/50% acid
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien nodded as Heinrich shared some knowledge on spell craft.

“Hmm, then I guess actually talking with the crime lords might be easier.”

The archeress followed along, not really sure what to do next.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 72 Current: 69
CMB: +10 CMD: 29(22ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC Stuff]I am assuming Tyrien has the Ring of Spell Knowledge II, can we have Heinrich put Burning Hand on it during the advancement in time since we have jumped ahead a couple of hours?

Btw, I will be on vacation for 4-5 days. I might get time to drop a quick post to provide guidance on Tyrien. [/sblock]

Scott DeWar

"If there is any physical piece of this specter, I can start searching. Mayhap a thing that belonged . . ."

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
"Welllll ... truth be told, I don't think anyone's really sure whether the fishermen were victims or whether they just got unlucky and the timing was a coincidence. It was right before the killer started hitting the Syndicate and the Crew. From what I heard, a couple of them got tangled up in their nets and fell overboard and drowned one night -- that might not be it exactly, but I recollect it was something along those lines. What goes in Old Town's not exactly my area of expertise. Anyway, it was only afterwards that people started wondering if those were connected, but I think it's generally been concluded that it was a coincidence after all, since the killer hasn't gone after any other fishermen."

"So, where to now, sirs and madam? I heard you mention the Crew crime scene or else Mr. Cato or Mr. King. I'm happy to take you to any one of them."

BH_150.jpg

. . . . Blind Harry . . . .

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos considers Harry's information a moment, then looks to the others, pensive.

"Was thinking the other site, myself, but now that I hear it ... Odds are Armando's body would've been dumped to sea, yes? What if, accidental-like or sent there by someone with an agenda, these fisherfolk are how the old Don got back on land? If we think stopping him stops the rest, might be worth checking this out as a source."

[sblock=ooc]Probably me following an all-but-literal red herring, but thought I'd bring it up. If the others want to head to the crime scene first / instead, that's fine, too, but figured it was worth putting out there.

FYI, posted in the AFK thread, but I may be scarce given family stuff of the not entirely good kind. Feel free to drag Eanos, his nose, and his internal lie detector wherever necessary if it's holding folks up. [/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:68 Current: 61
Senses: Perception 19 (23 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 22/26
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +6 (+8 w/ purity, +9 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+10 w/ purity, +11 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +10 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 24/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 23/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 10/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 1/3 Remaining
Determination: 3/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 3/6 remaining
Bane: 4/9 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 7/9 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 75'/90' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (2/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Remove ads