[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

Systole

First Post
Harry chuckles a bit. "Named after flowers? Only every other one of the tavern ladies. Well, now that I think about it, most of them take their names from gemstones, actually. But I can think of a Lily, a Lilac, a Laurel, and a Rose ... no two ... three Roses, actually, if you count 'Honey Rose.' Then there's Lotus and Jasmine -- both from Rhat'manis, allegedly, but Jasmine has a Venzan Planks accent to my ear. And a Cherry, but I'm not sure if that's the fruit or the flower or the ... never mind. There's also two Gingers and Rosemary, but I suspect those'd probably be stretching it a bit. Let me think ... and a Petal ... and a Blossom." He pauses. "There's also a Petunia that works one of the bars close to the docks ... but you were asking about females specifically, weren't you, sir?"

The old man scratches his head. "You're looking for wizard spells? The Syndicate keeps a few on the payroll, but they're not the more advanced sort of wizard, as I understand it. The Crew doesn't care much for the wizardly approach at all, so I suspect you won't have much luck there."

BH_150.jpg

. . . . Blind Harry . . . .

[sblock=OOC]The Dimensional Anchor will only work if Armando's spirit is body hopping. If it's a scrying/control effect, it won't.

In other words: if Armando has his own corporeal body and he's just looking out through the eyes of his minions and commanding them somehow, Dimensional Anchor won't work (though it would stop Dimension Door, which you know was used at the crime scene you investigated). On the other hand, if Armando is only a possessing spirit without a body of his own, then catching him with Dimensional Anchor would lock him in the body he was currently possessing until the body was destroyed.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Say, das Keys. They are for the tombs, yes? Could there be a lower level with more clues? IT mentioned how long it had been floating, Ja?"

[sblock=note on the ring of knowledge]
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-spell-knowledge
I am unclear how that works. Does it work as a spell book? how many spell level/pages would it hold?

or

does it act like more spells that can be cast? if so how many? would the -ring II allow 2 levels of spells?

is there any clarification anywhere?[/sblock]

edit: I found this supposedly is a dice roller . . . . .
Test:
[roll]1d20+50[/roll]
this post was:[roll]1d20+50[/roll]

never mind.

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien took a look at the ring, foregoing any need for the headband or bracers. If she found a decent spell on a scroll or if Heinrich knew one she could learn then it would increase her repertoire.

“The spirit’s bones must be somewhere. To end this without letting it kill the crime lords, then we might need to dose them with holy water.”

[sblock=Ring of Spell Knowledge]That is a magic item only usable for spontaneous arcane spell casters. It would require exposure to a spell that Tyrien wants to teach the ring, then it is treated being on her known spell list for purpose of her bard spell casting. The nice thing is that the spell can be changed.[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 72 Current: 69
CMB: +10 CMD: 29(22ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos sighs as Harry rattles off the girls, sliding the headband into place on his brow, where the runes on its surface flash briefly, then fade back to normal.

"Was afraid of that," he says. "Didn't hurt to ask, though."

"Can look again, but didn't find any doors down before," he offers to Heinrich's suggestion. At Tyrien's mention of holy water, though, the inquisitor tenses slightly.

"Can look for his bones, but we should also make sure Nom's not ready to come back. Come to think on it ... Heinrich, wanna take a magic sight look at those re-dead corpses? Might be an aura tells us what kind of magic Armando used to control 'em; Could be that helps us figure out how to stop him."

"And since the head butting is like to be annoying if we visit one or the other first: Harry, any more messengers handy to set up a mutual meeting if we need it?"

[sblock=ooc]I didn't think of it, but we should probably give Nom a once-over with Detect Magic to make sure that was just a standard neck snap, and not a 'make you a brainless ghoul later' move. :)

Also, Systole's breakdown on Dimensional Lock nudged me to think about Detect Magicking the ghouls. If it was a scry / control effect, that'd leave a different aura behind than a regular possession, or am I wrong there? Of course, since it took me so long to think of it, auras may have faded either way, but like the name: doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose.

If anyone else wants to do / search anything, feel free to drag Eanos along. With the Scent bump, his perception's pretty wild right now.

SDW, I believe Systole told us there's nothing really to find in the crypts; they were there to house our ghoulies, which are re-dead.

Mini stats should reflect everything from the headband except for the bonus casting for 4th level spells and the extra use of his domain ability. I believe Eanos has to wear it 24 hours and make it 'permanent' before those take hold? [/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:68 Current: 61
Senses: Perception 19 (23 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 22/26
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +6 (+8 w/ purity, +9 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+10 w/ purity, +11 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +10 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)
* Protection from Evil (+2 ac & Saves vs. evil attacks) (8 minutes)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 24/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 23/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 10/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 1/3 Remaining
Determination: 3/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 3/6 remaining
Bane: 4/9 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 7/9 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 75'/90' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (2/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
The keys fit the outside doors of the crypts, presumably with the intention of keeping grave robbers away from the bodies of the dead. Well, grave robbers aside from the recently departed Nom, in any event. A thorough search of the inside reveals no secret passageways in the crypts themselves -- they're simple, above-ground crypts for storage of dead bodies.

No lingering traces of undead magic linger on Nom's corpse. Either the spawned undead aren't capable of creating additional spawn, or the neck-snap didn't count as a suitably undead-creating type of death. Also, the only magic detectable on the undead spawn is necromancy -- which doesn't rule out a sort of astral projection, actually. But it does rule out that Armando was using some sort of dimensional magics to move himself or his spirit into the various corpses. The most likely explanation is probably that as the master undead, he possesses an innate connection to his spawn that doesn't require moving his spirit around.

"We'd have to get back to town before I could find some runners, sir. They don't generally frequent the cemetery. And I don't know what you'd be expecting, but I guarantee you'll never get a sit-down between Mr. Cato and Mr. King in the flesh. You'd get representatives instead ... most likely Mr. Rahor and Miss Sweet. If you wanted to talk to the chairmen themselves, it'd require direct visits on your part," Harry explains. He hesitates for a moment before continuing, "And I'm not sure if this is my place to say, sir ... but that voice said that it would stop if the murderer were killed even by someone else, didn't it? And supposing it was -- now, I'm just saying for the sake of argument -- supposing it was Mr. King that did it, and Mr. Cato was innocent. Well, in that case, Mr. Cato's choice would be either having his organization wiped out by some sort of unstoppable undead fellow, or doing whatever it takes to kill Mr. King before that happened. I'm just saying that's a dangerous bit of information you have, there, sir."

BH_150.jpg

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=Ring of Spell Knowledge]That is a magic item only usable for spontaneous arcane spell casters. It would require exposure to a spell that Tyrien wants to teach the ring, then it is treated being on her known spell list for purpose of her bard spell casting. The nice thing is that the spell can be changed.[/sblock]
[sblock=ring]
So, can Heinrich 'upload' a spell to the usb device ring and a spontanious caster 'download' it?[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]I didn't think of it, but we should probably give Nom a once-over with Detect Magic to make sure that was just a standard neck snap, and not a 'make you a brainless ghoul later' move. :)

Also, Systole's breakdown on Dimensional Lock nudged me to think about Detect Magicking the ghouls. If it was a scry / control effect, that'd leave a different aura behind than a regular possession, or am I wrong there? Of course, since it took me so long to think of it, auras may have faded either way, but like the name: doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose.

If anyone else wants to do / search anything, feel free to drag Eanos along. With the Scent bump, his perception's pretty wild right now.

SDW, I believe Systole told us there's nothing really to find in the crypts; they were there to house our ghoulies, which are re-dead.

Mini stats should reflect everything from the headband except for the bonus casting for 4th level spells and the extra use of his domain ability. I believe Eanos has to wear it 24 hours and make it 'permanent' before those take hold? [/sblock]

The keys fit the outside doors of the crypts, presumably with the intention of keeping grave robbers away from the bodies of the dead. Well, grave robbers aside from the recently departed Nom, in any event. A thorough search of the inside reveals no secret passageways in the crypts themselves -- they're simple, above-ground crypts for storage of dead bodies.

No lingering traces of undead magic linger on Nom's corpse. Either the spawned undead aren't capable of creating additional spawn, or the neck-snap didn't count as a suitably undead-creating type of death. Also, the only magic detectable on the undead spawn is necromancy -- which doesn't rule out a sort of astral projection, actually. But it does rule out that Armando was using some sort of dimensional magics to move himself or his spirit into the various corpses. The most likely explanation is probably that as the master undead, he possesses an innate connection to his spawn that doesn't require moving his spirit around.
[sblock=JKson]
Well, It appears Systolehas been taking in account Heinrich's skills and abilities, and that I would do the requisite check. The results bein then posted as you see.[/sblock]
"Ja, Tyrein Holy vater is much needed.IF vee can find das bons."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien nodded as Harry pointed out importance of the knowledge they had learned from the spirit. She also noted that Harry also had that same knowledge now too.

“You are correct, Harry. That is some dangerous knowledge and probably quite valuable. Just what are your own intentions about it?”

Without any apparent way of finding the bones in the graveyard, she followed up with another question, “Also, Harry, do you happen to know where the spirit’s body was buried?”

“I do happen to have some more holy water, but getting some more in town should not be difficult either, Heinrich.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 72 Current: 69
CMB: +10 CMD: 29(22ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock] [sblock=Ring]
SdW said:
So, can Heinrich 'upload' a spell to the usb device ring and a spontanious caster 'download' it?
Sort of, yes. :p

I think he could upload a 2nd level spell (or a 1st level one) that is also on the Bard’s Spell list. He can also upload a 1st level arcane spell (like Burning Hands) that is not on the bard list. Then Tyrien would be able to cast that spell as if it was on her Known spell list. It is not really downloaded, it stays there until it is overwritten.

Since Tyrien cannot cast 2nd level spells yet, Burning Hands is actually a good choice for her. She can use it with Arcane Archer’s Imbue Arrow.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post

Eanos chuckles. "Sorry. Wasn't being clear, Harry. Got no plans to pass along Armando's ultimatum. I worship the Lady of Secrets; makes it important to know which ones are too dangerous to share. But mentioning Armando at all might get us some reactions that point us in a direction. If a sit down won't happen, though ... probably not worth reporting it."

At Tyrien's implication, Eanos clucks his tongue. "Can't imagine a body like Harry's made it this long being fool enough to go starting a gang war in his hometown," he says with a charming smile. "Not after warning us 'bout the same, yes?" Nevertheless, he does spare the briefest moment to assess Harry's own reaction to his half-elf companion's pointed comment, as he also waits to hear if their blind guide knows where Armando's remains are supposed to be.

[sblock=mini-stats]
Eanos Setirav

Conditions:
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

Common Attacks:

Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (2/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Prayer

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Harry nods at Eanos' assessment. "The gentleman is correct, ma'am. I'd not want that information getting around while there's still hope that you can put a stop to things. And if you decide that you can't and you have to tell someone ... well, I'd not want to be the one who had to make a choice as to whether to tell the Syndicate or the Crew first. Fact is, I'd leg it before it came to that.

"As for where the Don is buried, no one except his murderer knows. There was never a body found. He just up and disappeared one day, and then Mr. Cato and Mr. King went to war right after. And generally speaking, bodies that need to get disposed of in a quiet way don't get buried. Not when there's all that ocean out there to put them in."

BH_150.jpg

[sblock=OOC]As far as Eanos can tell, Harry's telling the truth. He wants nothing to do with starting an all-out gang war, especially considering that it would go very badly for someone who picked the wrong side.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post

Eanos sighs. "Body been soaking in the ocean that long might explain the saltwater smell at the first site," the inquisitor says, considering.

"Nom admitted some of the bodies weren't here, and Armando seemed to confirm they were out there undeading in the city. Question is: how long ago did they go wandering, and how many? Ten re-dead here. Any idea how many total victims, Harry?"

As he waits for a response, Eanos starts at the crypts and begins literally sniffing about on the thin chance any of the other undead might have been around lately enough to still leave a scent trail.

[sblock=ooc]Might as well give it a go. Looking for trails (preferably undead ones) that aren't associated with anyone in / dead on the cemetery to see if Eanos can track them:

Scenty Survival tracking check. (1d20+25=38)

If he doesn't find anything, I'd say checking out the other crime scene (that was a Crew site, if I'm remembering right) would be my next suggestion.

Also, since it's just occuring to me: what time of day is it? I have a tendency to lose track of that kind of thing until suddenly the GM says "so, you're walking around in the dark exhausted..." :) [/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Eanos Setirav

Conditions:

Common Attacks:

Remove ads