[LPF] Faith and Good Works

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera is not a zealous paladin. She is not a cold hearted mercenary either.

However, she is dragon dancer and likes pretty things like any female or dragon. And she believes in being properly rewarded and helping where she can as a result. She replies to Ben, "Certainly, I would gladly help where I can and in the capacity of what is wanted. If the Brotherhood has this under control, then I can agree to their judgment in this matter."

The dragon disciple regards the man from Tritower. Wizards by an large are mostly interested in power and knowledge. In the wrong hands it could be dangerous.
"Since this is going to be use, we would also feel responsible for what happens afterwards. Tell me, Master Nyssal, what betterment of civilization are you suggesting from the abomination type work of this raving crazy man who wrote this journal? While there is significant knowledge to be gained, we are going to require some assurances of responsibility."

Carak is unconcerned about the moral or monetary issues and finds the wizard to be very colorful in smells and odors. He pads over and sniffs excitedly. Up, down, and around. Even sticks his nose in the man's crotch.

KN: Local (1d20+8=12)
Sense Motive (1d20+6=26)

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop, Bless (+1 Att)

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 14/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 5/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak
OOC: Is there any chance you have plugged in the numbers into the Excel Spreadsheet so we know everything as far as total XP and GP. It is sort of hard to determine treasure if we do not know how much gold we have. I am also considering to use some DMC as well to close the gap between Cythera and Bren.

Systole

First Post
GM: Yeah, I didn't have time to get that done yesterday. The numbers I have (complete through yesterday) are Fury: 44811gp, Cythera: 47325gp, Bren: 54510gp. This includes the monies from the first encounter. I can send you a copy of the spreadsheet I use if you'd like a more complete breakdown. Send me an email. The spreadsheet I use isn't quite as polished as Mowgli's, so you might have to poke around a bit.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando Furioso, Venzan bravo

Fury's eyes narrow as the name Lak Nyssal goes onto his list of persons he would feel no remorse over piercing once or twice with a yard of steel. Not to mention the urge he feels to feed Rattegift's schematics into a fire.

"Agreed, Ben, unseemly by far." He glances over at Breninyr and Cythera to see whether he can read their thoughts on the subject before interjecting his own piece. "I would like to discuss the matter with my associates before we determine the final disposition of the journal. The assurances Cythera has asked for would go a long way towards easing my mind. You didn't see what was done to those men..."

Fury watches Lak Nyssal closely to try to get a read on him.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]Sense Motive: 1d20+15=22[/sblock]

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand: rapier
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Nyssal struggles to hide a look of contempt for Cythera. "What betterment of civilization? The man was growing flesh. Living flesh. Whole, functional bodies, in fact. The medical uses alone are astounding. We could regrow severed limbs, or replace aging ones. And this healing could potentially be available to anyone, instead of being held hostage by wielders of divine magics."

Ben looks coldly at the wizard. "I have never withheld my healing services or charged for them, my good man. Are you saying that you plan to do the same?"

The wizard frowns. "Of course not, and you know why. The machineries would cost money to build and maintain, so there would have to be a fee. A reasonable one. And what of it? Coin would change hands, but that doesn't mean the outcome is less good. The sick would still be healed."

[sblock=Cythera]Ben has that same look on his face as when Furros implied that he was nothing more than a crass opportunist during the party.[/sblock]
[sblock=Sense Motive 15]Nyssal's telling the truth so far, although he does seem to be glossing over a few things.
[sblock=Sense Motive 20]He's mostly but not entirely sure they can avoid using Rattegift's exact methods.
[sblock=Sense Motive 25]Also, he's deliberately steering the conversation toward replacing limbs, and trying to avoid talking about making whole, functional bodies.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

Ben_150.jpg
sneaky_wizard_150.png

. Benevolent Seeker ....... Lak Nyssal .......

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Bren's been listening carefully to the others, and a thoughtful look crosses his face. "The results of Rattegift's process are twisted, mad . . . inhuman. What makes you think you'll be able to make anything usable for the benefit of others from this?"

Sense Motive (1d20+10=23)

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 26 (23 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 32/62
CMB: +8 CMD: 26 (+10/28 Bull Rush)(+10/28 Grapple)
Fort: +11 Reflex: +08 Will: +17

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (03/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (07/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (08/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (06/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (05/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Cythera frowns in consternation and glances at Ben. She too is thinking that Nyssal's motives are nothing more than power and making money at heart, not necessarily as virtuous as he is trying to make them believe. She folds her arms over her breastplated chest and looks at the wizard with a stoic expression.

"I see. So you can grow limbs back and attach them to people. However, what is to stop you from creating doppelgangers of people? What is to stop you and yours from becoming corrupted with power?"

"While you might start out with the best intentions, who would prevent someone in your organization from using the knowledge to do exactly what Rattegift was attempting to do?"

Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop, Bless (+1 Att)

Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)

Carak
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

Systole

First Post
Nyssal rolls his eyes at Bren's concerns. "We don't know for sure. This is research. If we knew we were going have a successful result, it wouldn't be research, now would it? But we think we can improve on Rattegift's work, and we think the risk is worth the investment." The wizard can't help but cast a covetous glance at the journal. "Very much so."

"Dopplegangers?" Nyssal waves his hands and a wave of illusion magic cascades over him. In moments, a duplicate Ben is standing before you. "Rattegift's method would hardly be the most efficient to accomplish such a thing. And if you think we'd be corrupted with power, why not look to the religious orders in the world today? They alone hold the health and well-being of the populace in their hands. I submit that as competitors, we'd keep them honest."

"That's twice you've assigned vulgar motives to me," Ben says in a cold tone. "I suggest you do not do so a third time, good sir. And you will remove that illusion. Immediately."

Ben_150.jpg
sneaky_wizard_150.png

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Cythera glances at Ben with his ire and she can hardly blame him.

"Listen, Nyssal, this insulting behavior better stop right now if you want access to these notes. Religion and politics are touchy subjects in more circles. So treat carefully if you still wish to see Rattegift's notes. We are losing patience, and you are hiding something about this deal and intuition is telling me send you on your way empty-handed."

The dragon disciple has adopted a stern expression.

Diplomacy (1d20+6=8)

Carak

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando Furioso, Venzan bravo

Fury has heard quite enough from Lak Nyssal.

"Enough! Master Nyssal, if you wish to retain the slightest hope of getting your hand on these notes you will take your leave. I appreciate your enthusiasm but you interrupted business that we feel in more important that yours. In addition, we wish to discuss your offer. And surely there will be other offers to consider." Fury smiles wolfishly trying to let an avarice he doesn't feel show in his face.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]Bluff: 1d20+13=18[/sblock]

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 7 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 72 Current: 72
CMB: +8 CMD: 24 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand: rapier
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
The illusion drops from Nyssal, and the wizard looks at the book with a pained expression. "Yes, entertain other offers if you must. But we'll outbid them. Believe me, we have resources at our disposal and we're confident of what we might accomplish with it. You'll find me at the Gilded Lily in the market district."

After he's gone, Ben says, "I can arrange a scribe if you'd like to have the relevant parts copied. But before you do that, you do understand what he wanted, really? Nyssal actually does believe they could use Rattegift's process without resorting to the horrible methods he used, but he doesn't care much about the healing aspect. Nyssal and his partners want a workforce. They want to make slaves."

[sblock=Fury]A moment after the wizard is shown out, a voice whispers in your ear. "You can meet me alone at the Gilded Lily if you'd like to come to a very lucrative and independent arrangement."[/sblock]

Ben_150.jpg
sneaky_wizard_150.png

GM: Since it seems you're not taking Nyssal up on the offer, I'll wrap this up tomorrow, unless anyone has anything else they'd like to add.

Remove ads