• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Rescue at Boar's Ridge

Satin Knights

First Post
"Alright, I see you got useful tings. Good, good. Now follow me to the stable. Tis on the west side of town where it belongs."

After a quite a hefty walk, you come to a couple hills on the edge of town. They are about 15' tall and obviously not natural in build. a thick row of brush trees top the hills. There is a 20' wide split between them that appears well traveled.

[sblock=Perception][sblock=DC 10]As you walk up to the opening in the hills, there is a noticable breeze whistling between the mounds. It is much stronger than the standard breeze that comes in from the sea.[sblock=DC 15]The breeze is constant and focused inward between the hills.[sblock=DC 20]The breeze is magical in origin. Checking the treeline, the trees show the telltales that more than one casting was used to create this permanent breeze wall.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

Walking though, you find hidden away from the rest of the city a grand stable complex. Some wooden stalls, some made of stone, some with room heights that make you fearful of just what might be inside.

Walking up to someone he recognizes, "Jaycus, I need some horses and a pony or two. Dwarf, you want a pony or a horse and mounting ladder? The halfling might need a dog. Whatever. Jaycus, get them something fast."

"Ah Cratchen, normal beasts or some of the specials?"

"Just normal ones. They should be out for a week at most. I just want to rent. I am paying for all of them to go."

"Then nothing for you friend?"

"No, I am staying here." The two of them wander off a bit and haggle over prices out of earshot. Then raising his voice a bit, "Fine, fine. Whatever. Get them now."

Jaycus leaves and returns with stable hands leading six horses, two ponies and two riding dogs saddled and ready. Adressing the party, "All of these are fast and ride well for those not used to riding hard. They have not been trained to fight. Their names are etched into their saddles. You will return them here within a week, or Cratchen will be paying much more for their retrieval, and you shall be spending a month cleaning my stables. Agreed?"

soulnova

Explorer
"Hn" Galandra nods agreeing with Jaycus and moves to the most suitable horse for her. "I'll take this one" she starts getting her stuff ready and mounts.

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Maidel.png

Galandra
AC: 15 (Touch 12, Flatfooted 13)
HP: 12/12

Initiative: +2
Perception: +6/+8 vs Humans, Sense Motive: +2/+4 vs Humans,
CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +3 Reflex: +4 Will: +2

Falchion +4 [2d4+4] 18-20
Dagger +4 [1d4+3] 19-20
Shortbow +3 [1d6] x3
Greatclub +4 [1d10+4] x2

Effects: Killer
Combat Feats: Power Attack, Quick Draw

Conditions: None

In Hand: Shortbow

Consumables: 20 Normal Arrows, 10 Masterwork Arrows, 40 Blunt Arrows, 4 days rations

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Qik

First Post
As they approach the hillside at the edge of town, Mesem intently takes in their surroundings with his wide gray eyes. As they draw nearer, he notices the oddly strong and directed wind. "Do you feel that?" he asks the others. "The wind is unusually strong here." Pointing, he adds, "And look at how the trees all bend inwardly there. That is not natural. It would be my assumption that this breeze is of magical origin. I wonder as to its purpose."

Being the unintrusive type, Mesem doesn't raise his observation with their employer or Jaycus, though he would gladly discuss the matter if someone else does.

As they get their rundown from Jaycus, Mesem seeks to assure the man. "Master Jaycus, I assure you that we will all take great care in handling your animals," he says, catching the stablemaster's eye. "I know that quality animals are hard to come by, and are the product of time and energy. I will not treat such an investment of effort lightly."

As the group gathers themselves and chooses their horses, Mesem takes a minute to prepare himself for the journey. Closing his eyes, he begins murmuring to himself. As he does so, a circular rune glows blue on his forehead. Slowly, a thin blue "skin" washes over him, until he is completely covered save for his head, which itself is encased in a kind of translucent bird-mask. Once his small ritual is finished, Mesem mounts his horse and prepares to be off.

[sblock=OOC]I assume nothing came from Mesem's inspection/returning of Cratchen's original map? Just wanted to be sure. :)[/sblock]
mesem-adrarda-portrait-small.jpg

[sblock=Stats]Mesem Adrarda
[sblock=Bound Stats]Initiative: +1, Perception: +7
HP: 9/9 real + 11/11 temporary
AC: 13 (Touch: 11 Flat-footed: 12) CMB: +5 CMD: 16
Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +6 (+8 vs enchantments)

Natural Weapons:Bite (+5, 1d6+4), 2 Claws (on feet) (+6, 1d4+4)
[/sblock][sblock=Unbound Stats]Initiative: +0, Perception: +7
HP: 10/10 real
AC: 10 (Touch: 10 Flat-footed: 10) CMB: +0 CMD: 10
Fort: +2 Ref: +0 Will: +6 (+8 vs enchantments)[/sblock]Current Weapon in Hand: None

Summon Monster I: 4/4
Spells: 0 - Infinite, 1 - 2/2

Active Magic: None
[/sblock]​

Last edited:

hemera

Explorer
Flashing a smile to Jaycus, Reianne points to one of the horses. "I'll take that one. I'm glad they're good for inexperienced riders, as I've never been a real outdoorsy type." Patting the horse's side, she whispers "Keep me alive, and I'll return the favor, ok?"

Before mounting up, she glances over in Mesem's direction, "Is that offer to hold on to a few things still good? I'd like to take you up on it if it is sir."

[sblock=OOC]
If Mesem's offer is still valid of course, I'd like to shift over my rope and sunrods which will put me back under light encumbrance.

Thanks!
[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem the Cook (Halfling)

Lem checks on his mount. "100gp and I get a mount all in one day. It's about time that I found an employer who appreciates the cullinary arts."

To Mesem's observation he just shrugs, "I agree that it is somewhat strange, but one cannot know all the mysteries of nature. Perhaps it is just a rare event that somehow occurred at the same time the necromancer is practicing his dark arts. Either way, we will deal with it and him then return for a decent meal, or not."

Last edited:

Qik

First Post
Before mounting up, she glances over in Mesem's direction, "Is that offer to hold on to a few things still good? I'd like to take you up on it if it is sir."

Mesem nods. "Certainly," he says, pulling open his satchel in anticipation for Reianne's items.

[sblock=OOC]Just give me the specific number and weight of the items, hemera, and I'll mark them on my sheet.[/sblock]
To Mesem's observation he just shrugs, "I agree that it is somewhat strange, but one cannot know all the mysteries of nature. Perhaps it is just a rare event that somehow occurred at the same time the necromancer is practicing his dark arts. Either way, we will deal with it and him then return for a decent meal, or not."

Still studying the treeline, Mesem shakes his head. "No, it is definitely a magical phenomenon." Smiling, he adds, "Although I do agree with your general observation as to the limitations of a person's knowledge."

mesem-adrarda-portrait-small.jpg

[sblock=Stats]Mesem Adrarda
[sblock=Bound Stats]Initiative: +1, Perception: +7
HP: 9/9 real + 11/11 temporary
AC: 13 (Touch: 11 Flat-footed: 12) CMB: +5 CMD: 16
Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +6 (+8 vs enchantments)

Natural Weapons:Bite (+5, 1d6+4), 2 Claws (on feet) (+6, 1d4+4)
[/sblock][sblock=Unbound Stats]Initiative: +0, Perception: +7
HP: 10/10 real
AC: 10 (Touch: 10 Flat-footed: 10) CMB: +0 CMD: 10
Fort: +2 Ref: +0 Will: +6 (+8 vs enchantments)[/sblock]Current Weapon in Hand: None

Summon Monster I: 4/4
Spells: 0 - Infinite, 1 - 2/2

Active Magic: None
[/sblock]​

hemera

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
50' Silk Rope, 5 Lbs
5 Sunrods, 1 Lb each
I'll mark them on my sheet that they've moved over to your care. :)

[/sblock]

possum

First Post
"A pony, please," Dolgrin says at the stables. Upon meeting his rented mount, the dwarf gives it a mild pat on the neck before managing to get himself on the saddle.

"And magical or not, that breeze feels good," he says as they begin their journey. "If only most mages can do something so practical as provide good weather rather than sit in their towers and..." he trails off, realizing that yet again he has put his foot in his mouth.

jkason

First Post
Ru Brike, human ninja

Ru seems a bit incredulous that the slight half-elf could carry a great deal of extra gear, but smiles politely and says nothing. He shrugs at the observations on the wind.

"If it is magic, I figure it's to keep the smell out of town," Ru offers. "Though I'd hate to be the poor sods who live on the other side," he says with a wink.

As Ru assesses the horses, his attention is drawn to Mesem's transformation. He raises an eyebrow and whistles as the rune and second skin materialize.

"So that's your secret, you lithe bugger," Ru says with clear respect. "Think I'll take you up on that offer to take some of the load when we get where we're going," he says. He pats a few of the horses on the hind quarters, and when he comes upon a gray and black mare who barely blinks at the contact, he nods. The young man pulls his backpack off and shifts his rations, sunrod, and waterskin to the saddlebags.

"I'll keep my extra in here for now, and if we get someplace where we need to tie the horses off and go on foot, we can switch 'em. Don't want to overload your horse before then for no reason, you know?"

[sblock=ooc]I think all the arcane casters need 8 hours to recharge, but I'm having trouble finding specific reference on that for summoners.

In any case, I'm assuming the horses have saddlebags. If not, I'll re-assess. If so, I'll move the gear there for now, since it's all non-combat gear that Ru wouldn't need super-fast access to, anyway (rations, water, sunrod). I'll note that on the sheet.[/sblock]
[sblock=mini stats]Ru Brike
AC: 16 (Touch 14, Flatfooted 12)
HP: 11/11

Initiative: +4
Perception: +4 Sense Motive: +4
CMB: +0 CMD: 14 Fort: +2 Reflex: +6 Will: +1

Wakizashi: +4, 1d6
Wakizashi (TWF): +2/+2, 1d6/1d6
Nunchaku: +4, 1d6
Shuriken: +4, 1d2
Conditional Attack mods: +1d6 Sneak Attack (when denied Dex), +1 Dirty Fighter (flank)

Conditions: None

In Hand: None

Consumables:
Alchemist's Fire: 3/3
Liquid Ice: 1
Shuriken: 10/10
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads