Pathfinder 1E [LPF] Rodents of Unusual Size pt 4

kinem

Adventurer
Menik says "If they're really on our side, then I have no problem with it. I'll be discreet. I suppose it was in their interest to investigate where the rat problem was coming from."

Aura

Explorer
Commander Jacobson
"Let's just say," the Commander begins, parsing her words carefully, "the ratfolk have no love for the boggards. The two groups had a trade relationship, and near as I have been able to put together, the boggards used it to acquire ratfolk clothing and plant it a few places for us to find, always where the rat activity was the worst, particularly the large ones. I received several examples of ratfolk clothing, two from my own men and one from a merchant who hired adventurers to clean out his family catacombs. I was a bit suspicious so I put my ear to the ground and eventually found the ratfolk camp."

"In any case," Jacobson continues, even as you seem to be closing in on a sizable bunch of White Cloaks milling about in one of Venza's many plazas, "I managed to eventually get them talking. Their apparent leader is a venerable rat named Molly Gleasong. Even when they began to realize they'd been framed, they continued to protect the boggards by refusing to tell me the location of the boggard village. They seem to harbor great resentments towards authority and lycanthropes, with the latter being more of an open hostility. So I traded the assistance of a friend to gain their trust, and Andreas should be done helping them on their various projects by the time we get there."

About that time, a large man in White Cloak garb and bearing sergeant's insignia, steps up to the approaching quartet. With a booming voice, he greets the Commander. "Commander. I gathered as many as I could on short notice. We have supplies as necessary for the men and your guests, as requested. It should be a short trip."

"Well done, Sergeant Eston," Commander Jacobson replies as she obviously does a head count, coming to nine, not counting herself or the sergeant. Not missing a step, she continues, "This is Sergeant Eston, one of my invaluable underlings. Fall in, everyone!" With that, the others move in behind you and the Commander as she waves them in with one arm. Of the nine she counted, there are 8 men and one woman. Two of them lead mules packed with supplies. "Next stop, just a little outside Venza."

kinem

Adventurer
Menik tells the Commander "Interesting. It's good that you investigated thoroughly. It would have been a disaster had we attacked the wrong culprits!

How experienced in battle are your Whitecloaks? It worries me a little that we have no real healer among us."

To the newcomers he says "Hello. I am Menik. I will assist on arcane matters, and can cast spells for battle if need be."

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem the Cook does a quick headcount of the Whitecloaks assembled, then starts looking in his bags. "Hmmm... yes, I think that should be enough for some of my larger serving meals. Good thing I brought my larger bag of spices with me, but we might still need to forage for enough vegetables and a sprinkle of garnish each night. Of course when I am not cooking, I can also handle myself fairly well in a scrap."

Mini-Stats
[sblock]
HP: 62, AC: 26, AC Touch: 24, AC Flatfooted: 19
INIT: +8, BAB: +7/+2, CMB: +8, CMD: 27
Fortitude: +8, Reflex:+14, Will:+11, Speed: 50' (Fast Movement, +30 ft)

Unarmed Strike: Attack: +17 = [BAB (7) + Dex (6) + Size (1) + Weapon Focus (1) + Amulet (2)]
Damage: 1d8+3+1d6 fire, Crit: 19-20/x2, Special: Stunning Fist Option
Flurry of Blows: Attack: +18/+18/+13/+13 = [Monk(10) + Dex(6) + TWF (-2) +WF(1) +Size(1) + Amulet (2)]
Damage: 1d8+3+1d6 fire/1d8+3+1d6 fire/1d8+3+1d6 fire/1d8+3+1d6 fire, Crit: 19-20/x2, Special: Stunning Fist Option
Ki Pool: 9/9
[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Commander Jacobson
With greetings being issued, a number of the White Cloaks speak up. Names like Sethian, Girard, Macabee and Aria float by in quick succession. The group seems to lack any utterly green members, although it several of the members seem a bit on the young side. To clarify the situation, Jacobson offers, "They are all veterans to some direct combat one way or another, although I doubt the type of intense or exotic combats that adventurers see. Macabee, there," the commander continues, pointing out a short, stocky man, "is a follower of Cortesia and a healer. However, I was at the mercy of who happened to be in the Dunn Wright Inn the moment I walked in the door in terms of healing. I don't think I missed any obvious choices."

With that, the entourage begins heading out of the city on it's way to see the Ratfolk community. Commander Jacobson seems content to let Sergeant Eston lead the group, walking among the heroes and the rank and file White Cloaks. For their part, the group is generally congenial. Several seem interested in Menik, Weylyn and Lem, initiating small talk conversation about the things you've seen. The passing of the streets serves as a reminder that the Mystic Pearl is not far, if you choose to act on it before letting the Sergeant march the group out of town.

[sblock=Last Chance for Setup]Shopping or information, this is it. Otherwise, we head out of Venza. :)[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Weylyn falls in with the soldiers and his new adventuring companions, chatting companionably with one and all. His laugh is infectious, spreading the simple joy of walking toward adventure on a fine day, with the prospect of a good fight ahead.
[/section]

[SBLOCK=OOC/Actions/Rolls]Weylyn's all good on gear and info, as far as he'll know until it's too late to change his mind :D.[/SBLOCK]

[sblock=StatBlock]
Weylyn Wealbetwyn
Male aasimar bloodrager 10 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide 15, Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 7)
NG Medium outsider (native)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 21, touch 14, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor, +3 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 132 (10d10+50)
Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +6; +2 bonus vs. spells cast by self or an ally
Defensive Abilities blood sanctuary, improved uncanny dodge; DR 2/—; Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 50 ft.
Melee cold iron dagger +14/+9 (1d4+4/19-20) or
. . muutos +15/+10 (2d6+7/×3) or
. . silver cestus +14/+9 (1d4+4/19-20) or
. . unarmed strike +14/+9 (1d3+4 nonlethal)
Special Attacks blood casting, bloodrage (26 rounds/day), staggering strike
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 10th; concentration +12)
. . 1—corruption resistance (vs evil hr/lvl on self)[APG] (DC 14)
Bloodrager Spells Known (CL 10th; concentration +12)
. . 3rd (1/day)—countless eyes[UM] (DC 15), haste
. . 2nd (2/day)—elemental touch[APG], glitterdust (DC 14), ironskin, see invisibility, stone discus[ACG]
. . 1st (3/day)—blade lash[ACG], blurred movement[ACG], enlarge person (DC 13), magic missile, stone fist[APG], thunderstomp[ACG]
. . Bloodline Aberrant
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 15
Base Atk +10; CMB +14; CMD 28
Feats Bludgeoner[UC], Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Enforcer[APG], Eschew Materials, Extra Rage, Iron Will, Power Attack
Traits armor expert, resilient (will)
Skills Acrobatics +15 (+23 to jump), Climb +10, Handle Animal +6, Intimidate +15, Linguistics +3, Perception +13, Sense Motive +2, Spellcraft +4, Survival +5 (+7 to get along in the wild, endure severe weather, avoid getting lost, spot natural hazards, and predict weather), Swim +10
Languages Aklo, Celestial, Custom Language, Dwarven, Low Landellan
SQ abnormal reach, fast movement, truespeaker
Combat Gear wand of cure light wounds; Other Gear +1 mithral breastplate, muutos[UE], cold iron dagger, silver cestus[APG], belt of physical perfection +2, boots of swift fury[ACG], ring of vengeful blood magic[ACG], basic maps (major landmarks only), bedroll, blanket[APG], candle (2), chalk, everburning torch, flint and steel, hammer, hammock[UE], knife, utility (0.5 lb), masterwork backpack[APG], mess kit[UE], piton (4), sack (2), silk rope (50 ft.), sunrod (3), tindertwig (4), torch (2), trail rations (6), waterskin (2), 893 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Abnormal Reach (Su) Increase reach by 5 ft when raging.
Blood Casting (Su) Cast bloodrager spells while in bloodrage.
Blood Sanctuary +2 (Su) +2 bonus to save vs. spells cast by self or an ally.
Bloodrage (26 rounds/day) (Su) +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 to Will saves, -2 to AC when enraged.
Bludgeoner Inflict nonlethal damage with bludgeoning weapons
Combat Reflexes (4 AoO/round) Can make extra attacks of opportunity/rd, and even when flat-footed.
Damage Reduction (2/-) You have Damage Reduction against all attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Energy Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Acid attacks.
Energy Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Cold attacks.
Energy Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Enforcer If you deal nonlethal damage with a melee weapon, make a free Intimidate check to demoralize.
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Fast Movement +10 (Ex) +10 feet to speed, unless heavily loaded.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Lv >=14) (Ex) Retain DEX bonus to AC when flat-footed. You cannot be flanked unless the attacker is Level 14+.
Power Attack -3/+6 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
Staggering Strike (DC 19) (Su) On critical hit when raging, target is staggered 1 rd (Fort neg).
Truespeaker Learn two languages for each rank you put in Linguistics.
[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Menik says "Given our numbers, perhaps a stop at the Pearl to pick up a minor wand of healing would be in order, just in case it helps to extend Macabee's ability to keep us on our feet. We can trade it back if we don't end up needing it."

ooc: Menik can front the money for a CLW wand if need be, but doesn't want to be the sole buyer as he can't use it himself.

When the group leaves town, he'll cast mage armor on himself.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem states, "I'd gladly chip in a third of the cost for a wand that can heal or wounds. I've enough free cash that I could comfortable afford such a boon." The halfling cook then goes back to merrily talking to the surrounding band.

OOC: Lem can chip in a few thousand coins,

Aura

Explorer
Commander Jacobson
Nodding, the Commander gives Menik and Lem the go-ahead to head down the street and duck into the Mystic Pearl while the rest of the team waits at the corner. No longer moving forward, the White Cloak shifts her feet as she listens to the banter supplied by Weylyn and her more senior White Cloaks. Finally, Menik and Lem return, and the group is off.

After leaving Venza, the Sergeant turns the group towards the coastline and heads south, towards the Orino river. In short order the group of mercenaries and White Cloak guards comes upon a small settlement. Everything about it has the air of being temporary, almost like a circus before the big first night in a new town. Small (3-ish feet standing upright) humanoid rats populate the settlement, and a human stands in front of an elder rat whom may well be the elder commander Jacobson previously met. They cease their discussion as the group comes into sight, and the human steps up the sergeant and commander. After some discussion, the Commander clarifies, "This is Andreas Costas, and he seems to now.understand where the Boggards are. We'll head further down the coast and follow the Orino river. It's about a 10 mile trip as the crow, longer by foot. We'll rest mid-day and arrive on their doorsep about dusk. Questions?"

For their part, the other ratfolk quietly discuss amongst themselves and look you over time and time again. However, they don't do anything in particular despite how interested they might be.

[sblock=Heal Wand]Assuming you can keep him alive, the White Cloak Macabee has been identified as a healer. Otherwise, it appears none of the PC's can use a healing wand. At 750 gp, a CLW Wand is pretty affordable without splitting costs. Potions wouldn't hurt, either.

Whatever you decide, just hit the Mystic Pearl thread with your roleplay and purchases. I'm simultaneously moving the plot forward so we can get to fun stuff sooner.[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Menik says "Hello, Andreas.

I don't know how well boggards see at night, but if it becomes dark, we could be at a disadvantage."

OOC: Can I assume that Menik casts his mage armor later in the day?

For the wand, unless Mowgli objects, let's assume each PC fronts 250 gp.

Remove ads