[LPF] Scourge of the Howling Horde

perrinmiller

Adventurer
A medium length Living Pathfinder adventure, set outside of Venza near a small village called Barrow's Edge, for 4-5 characters starting with zero XP. Characters will advance to level 3 before finished.

Judge: Mowgli
DM: Perrinmiller

Heroes:
GlassEye: Male Tengu 4th Level Cleric/Druid, Agno Phoenicus
Mfloyd3: Male Half-orc 4th Level Alchemist, Iago
ScorpiusRisk: Male Half-elf 4th Level Bard/Oracle, Denizel
Systole: Female Elf 4th Level Summoner, Sylla the Grim
[sblock=XP]Enc 1: 675XP (168.75 each) Rescue Sten
Enc 2: 940XP (235 each) Goblin druid
Enc 3: 400XP (100 each) Finding the lair
Enc 4: 3420XP (855 each) Assault on the Lair & Bronk - 1 Nov 2011
Enc 5: 1400XP (350 each) Darax & Urrtarr
Enc 6: 400XP (100 each) Hobgoblin Chest
Enc 7: 1200XP (300 each) Gray Ooze - 22 Jan 2012
Enc 8: 1200XP (300 each) Undead - 12 Feb 2012
Enc 9: 1200XP (300 each) Drake - 11 Apr 2012
Enc 9.5: 600XP (150 each) Altar trap - 24 Apr 2012
Enc 10: 1600XP (400 each) Noak - 18 May 2012
Enc 11: 400XP (100 each) Crispy Critter - 22 Jun 2012

Notes:
Adventure Starts on: 27 Jul 2011 (Everyone at 0XP)
Everyone is at 2044XP on 1 Nov 2011 (98 days) reaching level 2.
Everyone is at 3346XP on 22 Jan 2012 (82 days of level 2) reaching level 3.
Everyone is at 6601XP on 18 May 2012 (117 days of level 3) reaching level 4.
Everyone is at 6701XP + (22 x 65 days of level 4)= 8131XP on 22 Jul 2014.

[/sblock][sblock=Treasury]Wand of Longstrider (25 charges)(375gp) -> Agno
Wand of CLW(2 charges)(30gp) -> Denizel
Sold items Enc 1/2 Totaled (grayed out) = 1698gp (422.25gp Each) - Before Jan 2012
Items for dealing with the trap, spent 50gp
Sold/barter items Enc 3-8 (grayed out) = 6780gp (1695gp each)

Enc 1: 8xLeather Armor(80gp), 8xLt Wooden Shields(24gp), 24xJavelins(48gp), 8xMorningstars(64gp), 10gp, 400gp in store credit
Enc 2: 4xLeather Armor(40gp), 4xLt Wooden Shields(12gp), 12xJavelins(24gp), 4xMorningstars(32gp), 1xMWK Hide Armor(165gp), 1xMWK Spear(302gp), 1xScroll of Charm Animal Spell(25gp), 1xWand of CLW(2 charges)(30gp), 1xWand of Longstrider (25 charges)(375gp),18gp, 10pp, -30gp Identify spell
Enc 3: None
Enc 4: 7xStudded Leather Armor(s)(175gp), 7xLongbows(s)(525gp), 5xGreatswords(s)(250gp), 14xArrows(s)(7gp), 2xGuisarme(s)(18gp), Bronk's Studded Leather Armor(25gp), Bronk's +1 Light Wooden Shield(1152gp), Bronk's Morningstar(8gp), 2xPewter Bowls (40gp), 5xLeather Armor(s) (50gp), 6xLt Wood Shields(s)(18gp), 5xLongswords(s)(75gp), 15xJavelins(s)(15gp),1xChainshirt(s) (100gp), 1xMWK Battle Axe(s) (310gp), 127gp = 2895gp sold
Enc 5: 1xMWK Banded Mail (400gp), MWK Battle Axe (310gp), Heavy Steel Shield (20gp), 1xComp Longbow(+2 Str) (300gp), 20xArrows (1gp), 2xChainshirts (200gp), 2xMWK Longsword (630gp), 2xLt Wooden Shields (6gp), 6xJavelins (6gp), 4xPotions of CLW (200gp), Wand of magic missiles (150gp), 2xFlask of Acid (20gp), Flasks of Alchemist's Fire (20gp) = 1873gp
Enc 6: +1 Studded Leather Armor (1175gp), +1 Longsword (2315gp), 2xPotions of CLW (100gp), 210gp, 20sp, Map of Barrows Edge area (5gp), 2 Potions Resist Acid (300gp), Urrtarr's Spellbook (85gp), various items in pantry (120gp)= 1597gp
Enc 7: None
Enc 8: 1xChainshirt (100gp), 1xMWK Longsword (315gp), 2xPotions of Cure Light Wounds (100gp), 1xPotion of Shield of Faith (50gp). = 415gp
Enc 9: None
Enc 9.5: MWK Half Plate Armor (750gp), MWK Heavy Steel Shield (170gp), MWK Dwarven Waraxe (330gp), Potions of CMW (300gp) & Bull's Strength (300gp), 6 Scrolls (0gp), Holy Symbol of Platinum (200gp).
Enc 10: Ring of Protection +1(2000gp), Cloak of Resistance +1(1000gp), 1150gp
Enc 11: 400gp
Final Reward: 500gp

Payouts = 4689.75gp Each
422.25gp Each
1695gp Each
Last one 2622.5gp Each

Time based GP: Total = 5104gp
98 days x 6 = 588
82 days x 11 = 902
117 days x 17 = 1989
65 days x 25 = 1625[/sblock][sblock=Adventure Rules]* I will use group initiatives, rolling them myself. So in combat you must post your actions within 48-72 hours of the players turn coming up. Unless stated by a character that their actions are to follow another character, they will be resolved in posted order. After that time, if there was no communication with the DM, I will NPC the MIA player and move on.

* Dice rollers can be Invisible Castle or the EnWorld on-line dice roller for the players. The DM will use his own purple dice at home or an on-line random number generator.

* Any absences for longer than 2-3 days should be communicated to the DM. If you do not post for a week or more without having informed the DM, he reserves the right to remove you from the adventure giving you your share of the XP and treasure earned as well as time XP and gp to the date of your last post

* If your character gets enough XP to level they may do so immediately. This grants the extra hp, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc. Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if they are able to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable.

* All characters need an appropriate character picture, head-shot preferably, for token on the tactical grids.

* A mini-stat spoiler block that includes a link to your character sheet will be required in every IC post. Quote the next post to customize your own.[/sblock]

Party Notes:
[sblock=Barrow's Edge]Village; Approximate population 100 adults
Races mixed, 60% Human, rest mixture of Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes, Half-elves, and Half-orcs.

The village stores will only have items (including those magical or made of special materials) up to 400gp value for sale. Magic items and special materials are still subject to the 75% rule. When buying back items, the maximum value the village will be able to purchase will be 2,200gp.

Places of interest:
Sten Goodseller's Emporium
- Sten Goodseller and Garret
Temple of Quaren
- Listra
Barrow's Edge Inn
- Mallie Marchess
Mysticality
- Thamior
Moneylender
- Arvel Durgedown
Blacksmith and Stable
Tinker
Grocer
Houses and outlying farms[/sblock]

Marching Order:
SHHEnc03Map00B.jpg

Camping out & Watch Rotations:
Denizel (sleep at AH10, Watch at AJ11)
Sylla (Sleep at AI11, Watch at AJ11) & Boots (Patrol)
Iago (Sleep at AH9, Watch at AH11)
Agno (Sleep at AK10, Watch on patrol)
SHHEnc03Map00A-1.jpg

Barrow's Edge to the Howling Caves:
BarrowsEdgeArea04.jpg

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Example Mini-stats block: <Quote this post to copy>

You can customize your own and include what you think is important, but I need a minimum of Current AC, HP, Weapons in Hand, and Conditions in Effect.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Ariel Esimae
AC: 19 (17 without shield/flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 9 Current: 9
CMB: +1 CMD: 13 Fort: +4 Reflex: +4 Will: +6 (+8 vs. Fear)
+1 for all with Resistance
Resistance: 5 Cold, 5 Acid, 5 Electricity

Current Weapon in Hand: Shield & javelin
Current Conditions in Effect: Point Blank Shot (+1Att/Dmg w/in 30ft)

Fire Bolt: 3/6 Remaining Channel Energy: 1/5 remaining
Deflection Aura: 1/1 remaining
Spells Remaining: 1st Level 2/3; used Shield of Faith for CLW[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Having decided to embark on the journey to Barrow's Edge, you gather outside The Dunn Wright Inn to take stock of your provisions. The weather appears to fine today and you have several hours left before you will need to stop and camp for the night.

GM: I will need a marching order for when you leave the city.

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Sylla gathers together with the rest of the group. Her pack appears slightly heavier, and she seems slightly uncomfortable as she shifts it from shoulder to shoulder. Boots prances around, sniffing at the others.

"Cologne ... expensive stuff, but why are you watering it down?" he asks Denizel.

"Whoa ... that's heck of a chemistry set you got there, big guy," he says to Iago, then suddenly sneezes on the half-orc's pant leg. Rubbing his watering eyes with a forepaw, he adds, "Cork's a bit loose on your essence of wolfsbane, by the way. Yowza. Ouch."

OOC: Boots can take point, as he's (a) disposable, (b) pure melee, and (c) has perception/survival/stealth/scent. Sylla is an archer, so middle or back is probably better for her, as long as she's within 100' of Boots.

EDIT: Hehe, I just noticed three of us have Point Blank Shot.

PS: Sylla's run-in with Daylily.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Sylla the Grim
AC: 17 (13 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 9/9
CMB: +2 CMD: 16
Fort: +0 Reflex: +4 Will: +2
Perception: +2
Initiative: +4

Current Weapon in Hand: None
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Spells Remaining (1st): 2

Boots
AC: 14 (12 flat-footed, 12 touch)
HP: 11/11
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (17 vs. Trip)
Fort: +3 Reflex: +4 Will: +0
Perception: +4 (Scent)
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Natural weapons
Current Conditions in Effect: None[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Agno returns to the Dunn Wright Inn after stuffing his pack full of provisions. Seeing no one else he flops down on the paving stones along the wall near the landward door and stares at the sky watching seabirds wheel overhead in long parabolas that seem to point south.

"Axis of symmetry... Hurrr, I see the lines of your will, Revealer!"

Continuing to mutter to himself odd phrases of religious ecstasy he waits for the others to return not noticing that they are gathering just a short way away until he hears Boots' voice carried on the wind. Scrambling up from the ground he joins the others.

"Welcome, Boots! And other soon friends! The goddess has revealed her will to me. I am ready to hurrr... embark!"

[sblock=Mini Stats]Agno Phoenicus
Initiative: +3
AC: 16 (13 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 8 Current: 8
CMB: +1 CMD: 14 Fort: +2 Reflex: +3 Will: +5 (+7 vs. Charm & compulsion effects)
Speed: 40 ft.

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none

Lightning Arc: 6/6 Remaining Channel Energy: 4/4 remaining
Agile Feet: 6/6 remaining
Spells Remaining: 1st Level 3/3
Spells Prepared:
1st level: bless, divine favor, longstrider (D)
0-level: guidance, light, stabilize[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
Iago looks down at the talkative extraplanar canine. "Thank you," he offers, inspecting the seal on the vial in question. Then he pulls out a handkerchief and cleans off his pantleg where the wolf sneezed on it.

He smiles at his companions. "I do not think I introduced myself at the inn," he says. "I am Iago. Of Venza," he adds.

OOC: Iago might be a good choice for rearguard. He's better as a ranged fighter, but the mutagen means he can switch-hit as a melee combatant in a crisis. (Famous last words... :)

[sblock=Iago stat block]
Iago
Initiative: +2
AC: 15 (13 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 10 Current: 10
CMB: +2 CMD: 14
Fort: +4 Reflex: +4 Will: +0;
Current Weapon in Hand: n/a

Extracts prepared:
Level 1: Shield, Cure Light Wounds

Mutagen prepared:
Strength: +2 Natural Armor Bonus, +4 STR, -2 INT

Weapons:
Falchion: Attack: +2 = [BAB (00) + Strength (+2) + Misc (0) + Magic (0)]
Damage: 2d4+3, Crit: 18-20/x2

Dagger: Attack: +2 = [BAB (00) + Strength (+2) + Misc (0) + Magic (0)]
(melee) Damage: 1d4+2, Crit: 19-20/x2

Dagger*: Attack: +2 = [BAB (00) + Dexterity (+2) + Misc (0) + Magic (0)]
(ranged) Damage: 1d4+2, Crit: 19-20/x2

Sling*: Attack: +2 = [BAB (00) + Dexterity (+2) + Misc (00) + Magic (0)]
Damage: 1d4+2, Crit: 20/x2,50' range increment

Bomb*: Attack: +03 = [BAB (00) + Dexterity (02) + Misc (+1) + Magic (0)]
Damage: 1d6+3, Crit: 20/x2 (only 1d6 multiplied),
Special: Make 6 bombs/day

Acid Flask*: Attack: +2 = [BAB (00) + Dexterity (+2) + Misc (+1) + Magic (0)]
Damage: 1d6+3 direct, 4 pts splash, Crit: 20/x2

*+1 to-hit, +1 dmg w/in 30’

[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
"My cologne is not watered down it is merely faint." Denizel addresses Boots in as polite a manner as he can muster. "I see no reason to apply such an expense when we will be travelling to a small village, unused to such pleasantries."

[Sblock=Bluff 28] Bluff Roll
Denizel in truth can longer afford the cologne, though he believes his words enough. Cologne would likely be wasted on this trip.[/sblock]

Near him stands a mule, ladened with saddlebags. He carries no backpack himself and his appearance has changed little since the inn. He has combed his hair, strapped a buckler to his wrist and keeps his crossbow at hand, keeping his eyes on the street.

"I am Denizel of Aldunqua." He says mainly in response to Iago. "And I'm ready to go. I hope you can fill us in on your new knowledge of divine will while we walk.

[sblock=Denizel's Stats]Denizel
AC: 16 (14 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
CMB: -1 CMD: 11 Fort: +0 Reflex: +4 Will: +3

Current Weapon in Hand: Light Crossbow
Current Conditions in Effect:

Spells Remaining: 1st level 2/2
Spells Known: 1: Charm Person (DC 15), Disguise Self
0: Daze, Light, Message, Prestidigitation [/sblock]

OOC: Headshot can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/g2biV3j91Ir2FWxwcpj7DA?feat=directlink

Denizel can be second in line. He's a ranged fighter as well, but he's built for talking. It might be good if anything humanoid see's him 2nd. I would suggest the cleric next. So my proposed order is:

Boots, Denizel, Agno, Sylla, Iago

I am having difficulty determining the encumbrance of my mule. I just purchased a tent and some additional rations. I will gladly leave the tent behind if 64 lbs is a lot for a mule. I doubt it though.

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Perhaps you not heard my proclamation of label within the inn, I am Agno Phoenicus. Hurrr... it is a pleasure to have the custody of your labels, Iago and Denizel. As well as Boots and Sylla."

As Boots ranges ahead Agno falls in after Denizel continuing to speak on the mysteries of Issolatha.

"Hurrr... the young seahawk, flying just there? It defines the directrix and is symbolic of our journey. It is a test, like flying to the sun so we cannot fail. It would be dire. You understand, yes?"

[sblock=Mini Stats]Agno Phoenicus
Initiative: +3
AC: 16 (13 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
CMB: +1 CMD: 14 Fort: +2 Reflex: +3 Will: +5 (+7 vs. Charm & compulsion effects)
Speed: 40 ft.

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none

Lightning Arc: 6/6 Remaining Channel Energy: 4/4 remaining
Agile Feet: 6/6 remaining
Spells Remaining: 1st Level 3/3
Spells Prepared:
1st level: bless, divine favor, longstrider (D)
0-level: guidance, light, stabilize[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
The painted elf nods at Iago. "Sylla," she says.

"The Grim," Boots adds helpfully. "And I'm Boots. Do you like the name? I picked it myself."

"I wouldn't encourage him," Sylla advises the half-orc, and begins to repack her bags.

At Denizel's assertion that the cologne is simply applied lightly, Boots nods enthusiastically. "Okay, I gotcha. I think. Well, not really. If you wanted to impress them for cheap, you could just roll in something really dead. I can probably find some roadkill on the way if you want."

Apparently finished with her pack, Sylla stands. "Are we ready? Boots can range ahead. It's best if I stay near him." She looks over the rest of the crew. "Iago, you offered to be rearguard, and I agree. Of the other two ..."

She spares Denizel a critical glance, and then says with very definite meaning, "Of the two of you, I'd rather have the tengu watching my ... backside."

OOC: Boots has no chance of beating that Bluff roll.

As far as marching order, I'm taking Iago up on the rearguard. Sylla actually has the best armor out of the bunch (barring magic/mutagen), and it gives Boots better range, so she can take second. Sylla suggesting Agno then Denizel is a straight up RP decision.

How about Boots, Sylla, Agno, Denizel, Iago?

[sblock=Mini Stats]Sylla the Grim
AC: 17 (13 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 9/9
CMB: +2 CMD: 16
Fort: +0 Reflex: +4 Will: +2
Perception: +2
Initiative: +4

Current Weapon in Hand: None
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Spells Remaining (1st): 2

Boots
AC: 14 (12 flat-footed, 12 touch)