• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [LPF] The Sea Sprite

MerryMortician

Explorer
[sblock=Deuce Traveler]Can we get some environmental context? I'd like to have a better visualization of the scene before choosing my action this turn, as I presently only have the side of the ship and a couple of sahuagin on the deck beside the ladders. I would find helpful some idea of the Sea Sprite's size, how much open deck we have to work with, and any terrain notes (e.g., positioning if there's a mast, crates/bodies lying about). On a related note, will you be presenting battle maps of any kind in future encounters? I can play with or without--just wondering what is your style. Thank you :)[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
[MENTION=6794573]MerryMortician[/MENTION]

I usually don't use battle maps due to a couple of reasons. First, my access to programs like ditzie is a bit sporadic. Ok, that's an understatement. Normally I can't access ditzie accept from a few locations, so you might notice that I often never move my own characters when a DM is running a game with it, or I post late so I can get to a location where I can access ditzie. Second, if pressed, I'll create battle maps, but it usually slows my posting down since I block off about an hour of each day during the week for updates, and if I'm spending that time on mapping I often have to skip a day posting in all threads I'm involved in.

So I am not against the use of battle maps, and in fact I greatly appreciate them when other DMs use them (the rare times I can view them), but it just isn't a preference when I run an adventure.

I have the drawn map at home and am at work right now, so please give me a day to get the dimensions for you. However, the SS Sea Sprite's size was based on the Cherokee Class Brig Sloop, complete with the captain's meeting room in the aft of the deck. I also constricted the bottom deck of the ship to one level instead of two in order to simplify the adventure, and forget about the 10 cannons and coal room.

Being a trading vessel instead of a ship of war, the crew compliment of the Sea Sprite is also halved to about 30, most of which fled after the attack.

Right now there are two sahuagins. The first is down and prone next to Leira and Qalabash. He has been hit badly and doesn't look long for this world. The second sahuagin is ten feet away from the first, in the direction of the ship's fore. He has a number of quarrels sticking out of him and also looks ready to bite the dust. He is being attacked by Tamarie and Arradon. Francis John and your own Aelspeth are still in the boat. I hope that helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee-class_brig-sloop

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/HMS_Beagle_1832_longitudinal_section.jpg

GlassEye

Adventurer
Qalabash Baram

[section]
Qalabash takes advantage of the downed sahuagin's vulnerability. He jabs the butt of his staff at the creature's chest hoping that his attack combined with Leira's will take it out.

"Holy heels, Leira! Remind me to keep clear of those feet!"

[/section]
[sblock=OOC]Move: --
Standard: Attack sahuagin [roll0] for [roll1]

Used: shield charges: 1[/sblock]
[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Qalabash Baram[/size] Human Staff Magus 2
Initiative: +1 Perception: -1

AC: 14 (11 touch; 13 flat-footed) Current: 18
HP: 20 Current: 20
CMB: +4; +6 Trip CMD: 15; 17 vs. Trip Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +2

In Hand: quarterstaff
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Enlarge Person, Grease, Shocking Grasp
  • Orisons: Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Root
Special:
Concentration +5
Arcane Pool: 4/4 (+1 enhancement for 1 min.)
[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Tamarie the Songweaver
With the Sea Sprite already boarded by part of the group, Tamarie wordlessly begins boarding the ship by way of ladder. An untimely rocking of the boat causes her to slip precariously a moment, but she recovers and continues up and onto the deck of the ship.

[sblock=stuff]Tamarie uses ladder to board ship, DC 5 check, barely making it:
DC5 Climb Check to use ladder: 1D20 = [5] = 5
[/sblock]
[sblock=Tamarie Mini Stats]Tamarie
AC: 12 (10 flat-footed, 12 touch)
HP: 13/17
Shawl of Life Keeping: 4 stored HP
CMB: +1 CMD: 13

Fort: +2 Reflex: +3 Will: +3
Perception: +2 Sense Motive: +0
Initiative: +2

First Level spells remaining: 5/6
Heavenly Fire remaining: 6/7(Tamarie)
Bolts remaining: 17/20

Current Weapon in Hand: crossbow(loaded)
Current Conditions in Effect: Bless(27r)
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: CLW wand-1 chg
Money: +200gp retainer[/sblock]

MerryMortician

Explorer
Aelspeth Noromiel, Fledgling Conjurer

"We'll get you patched up in a moment!" Aelspeth offers as warmly as she is able, under the circumstances. She looks then to Arradon and nods her gratitude. Her lips tighten into a thin line and her pale skin drains of what little color it possessed. Steeling herself, she rushes forward and attacks the rope ladder. Wooden rungs gone white with salt seem to fall away as she scampers up to the Sea Sprite's deck above.

[sblock=Actions]Double Move: Climb rope ladder
Climbing Aboard the Sea Sprite: 1D20+1 = [14]+1 = 15
[/sblock]

Aelspeth's eyes dart aft to fore, taking in the scene and then widening in some surprised relief at the relatively empty deck. Gods only knew before now how many amphibian assailants would accost her upon ascent. She leans forward, a knee lifting to step in the same motion as an elbow moves back to nudge her familiar who is warmly nestled against her back. The monkey tosses his master's staff up very slightly as she builds momentum. She grabs the weapon just as it leaves its resting place, and brings it to bear as she races across the deck. Rapidly closing on the quarrel-ridden monstrosity some paces away from its prone accomplice, the woman pulls her quarterstaff in close to her side in a two-handed opposing grip, poised to thrust the wooden tip violently into the enemy's throat. The elf's attempt at a menacing sneer is akin to a palsied grimace.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Draw quarterstaff
Move: Run over to standing sahuagin

I had this image worked out a little cooler in my head before I remembered that drawing as you move requires a +1 BAB. It occurred to me that Darwin could throw the staff to Aelspeth as a proper action rather than fluff on her Draw a Weapon but that felt like it would require certain liberties with how the GM might interpret rules. Oh well, next round![/sblock]

[sblock=Aelspeth Mini Stats]Aelspeth
HP: 8/8
AC: 13 (17) FF: 10 (14) T: 13
CMB: -1 CMD: 12
Fort: +1 Reflex: +3 Will: +2
Special: Immune to magic and sleep, +2 on saving throws Enchantment
Perception: +2 S. Motive: +0
Initiative: +3
Conditions in Effect: +4 AC (Mage Armor, 1 hour remaining); +1 to hit (Bless, 1 minute remaining)
Weapon in Hand: Quarterstaff
Shift: 7/7 remaining
0 Level: Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
1st Level: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Enlarge Person
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Francis John and Arradon Delgaran both miss with their ranged attacks, but something breaks inside the sahuagin Leira roundhouse kicked and it gurgles and falls over in a dead slump. Tamarie climbs up unto the deck just in time to see Qalabash move forward and club the second one hard with a strong hit into the back of its head. Somehow it stays up on its feet and stabs out at Qalabash.

[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

OOC: Everyone up again! Last sahuagin is nearly killed.

ealt

Explorer
Arradon Delgaran

[section]
Arradon spins on his heel, his cloak billowing around him. A dagger seems to have materialized in his hand. As he finishes his spin he releases the dagger in the direction of the remaining sahuagin. Again his dagger flies wide of its target, embedding itself in one of the Sea Sprite's masts.
[/section]

[sblock=Action]
Move Action: Draw Dagger
Standard Action: Throw Dagger: Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Arradon Delgaran Mini-Stats]Arradon Delgaran
AC: 15 (12 flat-footed, 13 touch)
HP: 6/10
CMB: +0 CMD: 13

Fort: +1 Reflex: +5 Will: +0
Bluff: +8 Disable Device: +9 Perception: +6 Sense Motive: +0 Sleight of Hand: +7 Stealth: +7
Initiative: +5

Sneak Attack: 1d8 (Dagger)
Hidden Blade: +0

Feats: Blind-Fight

Current Weapon in Hand: Dagger +0 (1d4+0, 19-20/x2)
Current Conditions in Effect: Bless - 25 rounds remaining, +1 to hit, +1 vs Fear
Temporary items in possession: None
Items not currently in possession: None
Items depleted: None
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Qalabash Baram

[section]
Qalabash finds himself engaging the sahuagin, furiously striking and trying to avoid any counterstrikes. He can see the creature wavering and he hopes to put it down quickly so they can continue the task of clearing the Sea Sprite for their employer.

[/section]
[sblock=OOC]Move: --
Standard: Attack sahuagin [roll0] for [roll1]

Used: shield charges: 1[/sblock]
[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Qalabash Baram[/size] Human Staff Magus 2
Initiative: +1 Perception: -1

AC: 14 (11 touch; 13 flat-footed) Current: 18
HP: 20 Current: 20
CMB: +4; +6 Trip CMD: 15; 17 vs. Trip Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +2

In Hand: quarterstaff
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Enlarge Person, Grease, Shocking Grasp
  • Orisons: Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Root
Special:
Concentration +5
Arcane Pool: 4/4 (+1 enhancement for 1 min.)
[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Tamarie the Songweaver
Seeing the last remaining enemy in close quarters combat with her allies, Tamarie quickly reconsiders her initial instinct to shoot again. Instead, she trains her weapon on likely places other enemies might emerge from and waits for something to appear.

[sblock=stuff]Tamarie reserves her action to crossbow attack any new enemies she might see.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Tamarie Mini Stats]Tamarie
AC: 12 (10 flat-footed, 12 touch)
HP: 13/17
Shawl of Life Keeping: 4 stored HP
CMB: +1 CMD: 13

Fort: +2 Reflex: +3 Will: +3
Perception: +2 Sense Motive: +0
Initiative: +2

First Level spells remaining: 5/6
Heavenly Fire remaining: 6/7(Tamarie)
Bolts remaining: 17/20

Current Weapon in Hand: crossbow(loaded)
Current Conditions in Effect: Bless(26r)
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: CLW wand-1 chg
Money: +200gp retainer[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=Francis John III, Self-Proclaimed Halfling Prince]
Character Sheet

HP: 14/16
AC: 17 FF:15 T:13
CMB: 1 CMD: 13
Fort: +1 Reflex: +5 Will: +1
Perception: +8 Initiative: +2
Bluff: +13 Diplomacy: +7 S. Motive: +5
Sleight: +7 Stealth: +10
Unarmed: Shortsword +3 d4+1
Armed: Light Crossbow +4 1d6
Bolts Remaining: 12/20
Adaptable Luck: 2/3

[sblock=Bacon, War Pig]
HP: 18/18
AC: 14, touch: 10, flat-footed: 14 (+4 natural)
Fort: +6 Ref: +3 Will: +1
Initiative: 0
Defensive Abilities: ferocity
Speed: 40 ft. (30 medium, 20 heavy)
Melee: gore +4 (1d8+4)
CMB: +4 CMD: 14
Skills: Perception +6
Senses: Lowlight Vision, Scent[/sblock]
[sblock=Adventure Notes]
+200 Gold - as advance
[/sblock][/sblock]

Francis huffs and puffs as he scurries up the wooden ladder as quickly as possible.

[sblock=Climb 7]Climb +5 DC 5: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7
[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Is there a mast with a crow's nest?[/sblock]

Remove ads