[LPJDesign] 4th Edition Compatible logo created for support of 3rd Party Publishers

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I'm guessing they didn't want to risk pissing off WotC, their largest revenue-generating client...

Until the 4E PHB and with the only exception being the OD&D material the week it was originally released, I have not seen any Wizards product in the top 15 products at DTRPG. All their 3.X PDFs are generally available at full MSRP of the physical product.

White Wolf generally has 5-10 products in the top 15 and usually hold the #1 slot.

lmpjr007

Explorer
I totally understand RPGNow.com reasoning and position on this issue. They spoke to me directly on this and I have no ill will to them on this. They have always treated me in a professional manner and this time was no different.

BUT...

this does create the issue of people wanting this logo and since RPGNow.com being such a popular internet RPG location it seem only logical to have it there. But I guess I will have to find somewhere else to put it to get the exposure it need and deserves.

Personally, I think all the companies attempting to skirt the GSL are asking for trouble.

Do I like the GSL? No. Will I use it? No. Therefore, will I publish for D&D? No. It's no secret where I feel WoTC can stick the GSL and the whole 4E brand, without the benefit of KY, and with the hope they get a paper cut back there.

However, it's going to be a matter of time before WoTC takes some sort of legal action. Now, do they have a case? I don't know, and really don't care. However, they have deep enough pockets to force some companies to defend themselves . . . and those legal bills could put those folks under.

And it'll never have to see a day in court.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
How do we do it? Volume!

Until the 4E PHB and with the only exception being the OD&D material the week it was originally released, I have not seen any Wizards product in the top 15 products at DTRPG. All their 3.X PDFs are generally available at full MSRP of the physical product.

White Wolf generally has 5-10 products in the top 15 and usually hold the #1 slot.

Maybe individual products haven't sold in the "top 20" spots, but I'm sure the large volume of TSR and WotC products available (over 30 years worth) at RPGNow make up for that.

Keith Robinson

Explorer

Right now, the top seller list at DTRPG stands as:

01. 4th Edition Players Handbook
02. Scion Companion Part Two: Manifestations of Ichor (Scion)
03. 4th Edition Monster Manual
04. 4th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide
05. Agent X: One-Man Army
06. Daughter of Nexus (Exalted)
07. Book of Experimental Might
08. H1 Keep on the Shadowfell (4th Edition Adventure)
09. Ruins of Ur (World of Darkness)
10. H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth
11. Book of Experimental Might II: Bloody, Bold, and Resolute
12. Scion Companion Part One: Tuatha (Scion)
13. Scion Companion Subscription
14. The Compass of Celestial Directions, Vol. IV—The Underworld
15. Traveller Main Rulebook

Emphasis mine. Presently WotC have 5 out of the top 10 slots.

Here's RPGNow...

01. 4th Edition Players Handbook
02. 4th Edition Monster Manual
03. 4th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide
04. Video Game Magic Items
05. Starmada: Dreadnoughts
06. Castles & Crusades Players Handbook 3rd Printing
07. H1 Keep on the Shadowfell (4th Edition Adventure)
08. E-Z DUNGEONS: Borderland Keep
09. Book of Experimental Might
10. H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth
11. Legacy of Maela: Campaign Setting
12. Book of Experimental Might II: Bloody, Bold, and Resolute
13. DRAGON TILES: Dungeons of the Dwarf Lords
14. Legacy of Maela: Remote Regions
15. Warcosm PDF

Again emphasis mine. And again, 5 out of the top ten (including the top 3).

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Maybe individual products haven't sold in the "top 20" spots, but I'm sure the large volume of TSR and WotC products available (over 30 years worth) at RPGNow make up for that.

I highly doubt it. When you've continuously have between 1/3-2/3 of the top spots vs 1 product in the top 15 over the course of years, the revenue difference is dramaticly different. Mind you, I preferrably buy from DTRPG and watch their top 15 rather closely. I've been a regular PDF purchaser now for over 3 years.

Plus Wizards has not had the full line up of TSR and their own products for very long. The 1E Fiend Folio only became available Aug of last year. 3.0 FR campaign setting was released on DTRPG July 07. The forementioned OD&D PDFs, also July '07. As late as the Exalted 2E launch (March '06), Wizards had roughly 1/3 the products that White Wolf had on PDF. It is only recently that Wizards saw the value of the PDF market.

Remove ads