[LPJDesign] 4th Edition Compatible logo created for support of 3rd Party Publishers

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Until the 4E PHB and with the only exception being the OD&D material the week it was originally released, I have not seen any Wizards product in the top 15 products at DTRPG. All their 3.X PDFs are generally available at full MSRP of the physical product.

White Wolf generally has 5-10 products in the top 15 and usually hold the #1 slot.

Right now, the top seller list at DTRPG stands as:

01. 4th Edition Players Handbook
02. Scion Companion Part Two: Manifestations of Ichor (Scion)
03. 4th Edition Monster Manual
04. 4th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide
05. Agent X: One-Man Army
06. Daughter of Nexus (Exalted)
07. Book of Experimental Might
08. H1 Keep on the Shadowfell (4th Edition Adventure)
09. Ruins of Ur (World of Darkness)
10. H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth
11. Book of Experimental Might II: Bloody, Bold, and Resolute
12. Scion Companion Part One: Tuatha (Scion)
13. Scion Companion Subscription
14. The Compass of Celestial Directions, Vol. IV—The Underworld
15. Traveller Main Rulebook

Emphasis mine. Presently WotC have 5 out of the top 10 slots.

Here's RPGNow...

01. 4th Edition Players Handbook
02. 4th Edition Monster Manual
03. 4th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide
04. Video Game Magic Items
05. Starmada: Dreadnoughts
06. Castles & Crusades Players Handbook 3rd Printing
07. H1 Keep on the Shadowfell (4th Edition Adventure)
08. E-Z DUNGEONS: Borderland Keep
09. Book of Experimental Might
10. H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth
11. Legacy of Maela: Campaign Setting
12. Book of Experimental Might II: Bloody, Bold, and Resolute
13. DRAGON TILES: Dungeons of the Dwarf Lords
14. Legacy of Maela: Remote Regions
15. Warcosm PDF

Again emphasis mine. And again, 5 out of the top ten (including the top 3).

I did start my post with "Until the the 4E PHB". I also only explicitly stated DTRPG.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Dude, it's WotC - the biggest rpg company with the number one selling rpg product brand. If they sold only one copy a month of one quarter of their listed products, it would still bring in more money than the top selling individual product that month, and not show up on those "top" lists, which are really just marketing tools, not something you can draw any real conclusions from.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Dude, it's WotC - the biggest rpg company with the number one selling rpg product brand. If they sold only one copy a month of one quarter of their listed products, it would still bring in more money than the top selling individual product that month, and not show up on those "top" lists, which are really just marketing tools, not something you can draw any real conclusions from.

Did you ever buy any of their 3E products? I certainly didn't. Not a single one. I could buy them cheaper on Amazon and they'd be hardback. Their 3E PDFs are not a bargin.

They didn't get serious about their products being available on PDF until 2006. They released 66 RPG PDFs last year (yes, I just counted) and they released 21 RPG products (link) that IMO are PDF releasable. And even then some of the products they released in hardback weren't released onto PDF until this year (Expeditions to series, Complete Champion/Scoundrel, etc).

Little Comparison
Total Number of WotC products released on PDF on DTRPG during 2004? One.
Total Number of WotC products released on PDF on DTRPG during 2005? Five.
Total Number of WotC products released on PDF on DTRPG during 2006? 23.

All this information is freely available at DTRPG.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
WotC has just shy of 1,000 PDFs on RPGNow/Drivethru. Most of those are pre-3e products, many of which are out of print, reasonably priced at $4.95 each. I've purchased dozens of those, and I'm sure other collectors/completists have too.

All of this is moot, however, since neither of us have any access to real sales figures.

Remove ads