Lucas Disowns The Holiday Special

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
devilish said:
Attached to the reel should be *every* scene with Jar Jar Binks in it -- he apparently
never watched his own edits.

I'm pretty sure that the combined elements would cause his head to implode.

ecliptic

First Post
The only Star Trek movies I like are Generations and up. The others I just ignore. Kinda like what I do with the original TV show.

mojo1701

First Post
ecliptic said:
The only Star Trek movies I like are Generations and up. The others I just ignore. Kinda like what I do with the original TV show.

I used to do that, too. Then I happened to catch Star Trek IV on TV one time. I thought it was great, so I decided to give the other movies/show a try. I wouldn't say its my favourite, but I can see why its a classic.

I got my cousin started in Star Trek. He doesn't like the originals either, and it's because he thinks its too campy. He's seen the show and the movies before (he loved IV as well), but...

Ranger REG

Explorer
ecliptic said:
You're missing some good ones, mainly second, fourth, and sixth Trek films.

As for TOS, I don't consider them campy -- except for the third season, where Roddenberry purposely sabotaged it -- but very intellectual, not just the baseline "good vs. evil" plot device.

Orius

Legend
ecliptic said:

!!!!

Heresy!! :)

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
mojo1701 said:
I used to do that, too. Then I happened to catch Star Trek IV on TV one time. I thought it was great, so I decided to give the other movies/show a try. I wouldn't say its my favourite, but I can see why its a classic.

Eh, Star Trek IV is alright, but it's been nealy 20 years now, and it's starting to look pretty dated with the whole save the whales angle. Way too 80s. Now, Star Trek II, III, and VI are all pretty good, though I don't really like VI that much.

I got my cousin started in Star Trek. He doesn't like the originals either, and it's because he thinks its too campy. He's seen the show and the movies before (he loved IV as well), but...

Ok, when you try to get someone interested in the original Star Trek, you got to start them on the good stuff. Like "Balance of Terror", "Errand of Mercy", "City on the Edge of Forever", and some of the other really great episodes that have good drama and low cheese. Maybe "The Trouble with Tribbles", because it's a popular and iconic Trek episode, but it's also silly as hell. You definitely don't want to pull out the episodes like "Spock's Brain" or "The Way to Eden".

mojo1701

First Post
Orius said:
Eh, Star Trek IV is alright, but it's been nealy 20 years now, and it's starting to look pretty dated with the whole save the whales angle. Way too 80s.

See, I was born in 1986, so its kind of a "This was your life" type of thing. But yeah, all true.

Now, Star Trek II, III, and VI are all pretty good, though I don't really like VI that much.

I thought VI was good story, but when compared to the other evens, it was on par. Still a good allegory to the Cold War. I still don't see why people badmouth Insurrection.

Ok, when you try to get someone interested in the original Star Trek, you got to start them on the good stuff. Like "Balance of Terror", "Errand of Mercy", "City on the Edge of Forever", and some of the other really great episodes that have good drama and low cheese. Maybe "The Trouble with Tribbles", because it's a popular and iconic Trek episode, but it's also silly as hell. You definitely don't want to pull out the episodes like "Spock's Brain" or "The Way to Eden".

I agree. But he HAS seen quite a few episodes, he just didn't see anything special about them. I find them classic-sci-fi, quite different than the other series (which were good as well), but still good in its own right.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Orius said:
"Spock's Brain" is one of the episodes that aired in the sabotaged third season, but not all of them were bad. "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" is one of the good episodes depicting a different spin about racial hatred, which was a prominent topic of the 60's.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Every Trek film that is divisible by 2 is good... unless it is also divisible by 5, in which case it blows.

Now, you think the Star Wars Christmas Special was bad, here's one that almost no one remembers - thankfully. "Christmas In The Stars" The Star Wars Christmas Album!. What was it with George trying to tie Star Wars and Christmas together? Maybe it was some kind of weird marketing ploy to sell more toys during that time of year. Anyway, you can read all about it here.

I remember the Star Wars Christmas Special better than I'd like, which is a slightly better than not at all. I was five years old and in love with Star Wars at the time, so I was a little confused at the end of it when I couldn't shake the feeling that it sucked somehow.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Whisperfoot said:
Now, you think the Star Wars Christmas Special was bad, here's one that almost no one remembers - thankfully. "Christmas In The Stars" The Star Wars Christmas Album!. What was it with George trying to tie Star Wars and Christmas together?
I don't know. I thought George Lucas is Jewish.

Whisperfoot said:
Maybe it was some kind of weird marketing ploy to sell more toys during that time of year. Anyway, you can read all about it here.
Well, George is a better businessman when it comes to merchandising. He's smart enough to have secured the trademarks and intellectual properties so that he and not the film studio would be making money off of toys and t-shirts in case the Star Wars film might stink at the box office.

Remove ads