Lucas Disowns The Holiday Special

Ranger REG

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
See, I didn't think the TNG movies worked in the count.
Well, I don't know about you but as for me, I considered the 8th Trek film (Star Trek: FIRST CONTACT) to be a pretty good TNG film, despite the portrayal of Zephrem Cochrane. I can forgive that, but when it comes to classic icon villains, the Romulans, I can't.

As one previous poster stated, 1 out of 4 ain't bad.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I've got a copy of it on tape that I picked up a one of the Fangoria Weekend of Horror conventions about 10 years ago. I even had David Prowse sign it! :lol:

I think I've watched it twice since I bought it. It's pretty damn bad. The only redeeming things about it are the cartoon with Boba Fett, and the footage used between some scenes that has things that were cut from the original Mos Eisley scenes from Star Wars (some scenes of aliens walking in an alley, and some cantena shots). All the rest is pretty awful. Bea Arthur as the cantena owner, singing with the aliens? Check! Art Carney as a smuggler? Check! Chewbacca's dad Itchy, wife Malla, and son Lumpy? Check! And best/worst of all-Jefferson Starship performing a really bad space themed rock song!

Maybe I'll bring it to GenCon next year, and a bunch of us can watch it. Or maybe not... ;)

How much do you want for a copy of it? I'd love to have a copy of this rediculous thing in my collection!

Edit: NM, I just dropped $12 on ebay for it. :D

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
Ranger REG said:
Well, I don't know about you but as for me, I considered the 8th Trek film (Star Trek: FIRST CONTACT) to be a pretty good TNG film, despite the portrayal of Zephrem Cochrane. I can forgive that, but when it comes to classic icon villains, the Romulans, I can't.

What was wrong with the portrayal of Zephram Cochran? I mean look at the situation here. It's barely 10 years after a global nuclear war that's devastated Earth and left hundreds of millions dead. That's not counting the people suffering from radiation poisoning, the ensuing nuclear winter, and ther other usual aftermaths of a terrible war. Likely governments aren't functioning, and poverty, disease, and hunger are rampant. Look at the courtroom portrayed in "Encounter at Farpoint". To put it bluntly, life anywhere on Earth probably sucks. It's not at all shocking that Zephram has a bad attitude and drinks heavily. I can't say I blame him. Then the Enterprise crew comes along and hails him as some great visionary hero who benefitted all mankind. He knows deep down he doesn't live up to that standard; he's working on this warp drive for his own benefit. There's some good moments though; when he looks back on Earth from space and when the Vulcans land on Earth.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I guess like LaForge who idolized the so-called "Father of the Warp Engine," and having gone to the school named in his honor, the "Cromwell" version of Cochrane is a disappointing letdown to what was portrayed in a TOS episode (which BTW they do not look alike), not just to LaForge but to Trek fans everywhere. But as I stated before, it's not that too big a deal. His character is hardly re-used much, unlike the entire Romulan species.

fett527

First Post
Back on topic.

At the bottom of this page are links to downloads for the Holiday special. The Real format download is choppy and grainy but watchable. The other clips are a little better obviously, but you know you will need to watch the whole thing. :heh:

http://www.nivan.net/index2.html

Orius

Legend
Ranger REG said:
I guess like LaForge who idolized the so-called "Father of the Warp Engine," and having gone to the school named in his honor, the "Cromwell" version of Cochrane is a disappointing letdown to what was portrayed in a TOS episode (which BTW they do not look alike), not just to LaForge but to Trek fans everywhere.

I didn't find him to be a letdown really. I mean, he gets Troi drunk, and calls Riker a jerk. What's not to like? :D

But seriously, I stand by my point. You got all the Enterprise engineers who are idolizing Cochran (and let's admit it, Geordi was laying the ass kissing on a bit thick), but Cochran's got enough decency deep down inside to feel like he doesn't deserve it, even if he hides it. He hasn't done anything yet to deserve it, and he know damn well he isn't doing this for all mankind no matter Riker or LaForge says.

Cochran as he appears in "Metamorphosis" is a different man. He's sobered up, he's seen Earth recover from WWIII, and take it first steps into space. And the whole backstory as it exists now wasn't in place when it was written. Zephram Cochran was established before WWIII in TOS.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
fett527 said:
Back on topic.

At the bottom of this page are links to downloads for the Holiday special. The Real format download is choppy and grainy but watchable. The other clips are a little better obviously, but you know you will need to watch the whole thing. [/URL]

I'm not sure if I want to sit through it from what I've read. I mean the only thing that might be worth it is the Boba Fett cartoon.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
I got a copy of the Holiday Special on eBay a few years ago, and it is horrible.

God, how I love it; Carrie Fisher looks stoned out of her gourd, Mark Hamill has on way too much mascara and Harrison Ford looks embarrassed as hell.

Lucas should be forced to watch it, with his head clamped in place and his eyes wedged firmly open, a la Malcom McDowell in A Clockwork Orange, until he apologizes for monkeying with the original Trilogy and for making Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones.

devilish

Explorer
Scarbonac said:
Lucas should be forced to watch it, with his head clamped in place and his eyes wedged firmly open, a la Malcom McDowell in A Clockwork Orange, until he apologizes for monkeying with the original Trilogy and for making Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones.

Attached to the reel should be *every* scene with Jar Jar Binks in it -- he apparently
never watched his own edits.

Mystery Man

First Post
Well if you can download it off the internet (which I'm doing now) its too late to ban it. You might have better luck holding the tide back with a wisk broom.

Remove ads