Lucas Disowns The Holiday Special

Eridanis said:
I'm pencilling this in! Don't bail out on me! :)

Well, somebody will need to bring a VCR. I can bring the tape, but that's all I am willing to do in order to corrupt all of you who have never seen it. It's sort of like The Ring. You watch it, and a little part of you dies from the humiliation (or is it the boredom?)

Villano

First Post
RangerWickett said:
And, well, Star Trek 5 was pretty bad. It's almost comical, imagining Mr. Shatner saying, "Yes, and I, Kirk, will kill God!"

It wasn't terrible from a storytelling perspective, but the whole thing about going to the center of the galaxy was just silly. It's the geek in me, but I can't help but nitpick that the different series had established that you're not supposed to be able to travel that far.

Star Trek 5. Greatest. Movie. Ever. :D

It's so bad, I love it. I can't help it. I love Battlefield: Earth, too.

Although, I'd still argue that, as bad as it is, it's still better than Generations.

Kirk: We're inside of a cosmic anomaly which creates a paradise so perfect a man is willing to destroy planets to reach it. It's so wonderful no one ever wishes to leave.

Picard: We have to go.

Kirk: Okay.

I'll take, "What does God need with a starship?" anyday. ;)

DMH

First Post
I still have no idea what he is banning it from. From TV? From existance? Or is he just not going to acknowledge it any longer?

Or are they using ban incorrectly?

Krieg

First Post
DMH said:
I still have no idea what he is banning it from. From TV? From existance? Or is he just not going to acknowledge it any longer?

Or are they using ban incorrectly?

After it initially aired Lucas refused to allow it to be broadcast ever again (thus touching on the old news aspect of this story), he has also reportedly tried to find a way to suppress it from being shared via the 'net (which is probably nothing more than a rumor, Lucas surely knows the futility of that).

I do know that in the past Lucas has actually denied that the Christmas Special even existed, which is kind of hard for him to do these days.

One great thing about the internet is that it keeps alive things like this that otherwise would have been buried. For years I insisted to friends that I remembered seeing Bobba Fett on a cartoon before ESB came out, every single one of them thought I was full of it...or nuts. lol

Last edited:

devilish

Explorer
My guess would be since there's some plot points about
Wookies in the next Star Wars movie (at least, it seems so
on the trailer), that Lucas wants to make sure the
holiday special doesn't get thrown into "his canon".

Avoiding early questions of "Where's Itchy, Lumpy and Mala?"

just a guess,
-D

The Star Wars holiday special has the distinction of being the first thing I ever recorded on a VCR. Back then, they were still ferociously expensive for the consumer, but my Dad had bought one at the university for playing back seminars that had been recorded, etc. So he brings home this hundred-pound suitcase sized monstrosity and we spend an hour figuring out how to hook it up.

It also had the distinction of being the first thing I ever taped over. The next day, as a matter of fact.

devilish

Explorer
Synchronicity

Coincidence!

Over here is a discussion on a holiday animated show -- following
the link, there is the following:

This cartoon was a breakthrough project for Nelvana. It caught the attention of George Lucas, who was looking for a company to produce a 10-minute animated segment for the Star Wars Holiday Special, which he was producing. He happened to tune in one day when A Cosmic Christmas was on the air. On the basis of this cartoon, Lucas chose Nelvana for the Star Wars Holiday Special (which aired in 1978) and continued to work with the Canadian studio throughout the 1980s.

Remove ads