Luke’s X-Wing?

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Captain Howdy said:
He closed his eyes and acted constipated for probably five minues...

So is that the secret to the Force? Acting constipated for probably five minues? Then I've been doing it wrong. That explains my poor results.

Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Chewie beat them down...

Very possible. Han punches a trooper in the face when he's wearing armor. So how good could the armor be?

The Grumpy Celt said:
Very possible. Han punches a trooper in the face when he's wearing armor. So how good could the armor be?

It doesn't matter how good the armor is if you're strong enough to twist the helmet so the eyeholes point to the back :eek:

Storm Raven

First Post
My Empire Strikes Back question has always been this: according to the timeline, Luke gets to Dagobah, trains to be a Jedi, and then jets off to Bespin in the amount of time it takes for Han Solo, Leia, Chewie, and C-3PO to evade a bunch of Star Destroyers, fly to Bespin, and get captured.

This leaves what, six hours for Luke's Jedi training? Is that all it takes to master the force? A long afternoon of work?

Ferret

Explorer
I think the shortness of time is 1) due to luke being the son of Anakin (i.e is already good at using the force) and 2) he stayed longer then 6 hours. The time frame is more compressed then it looks.

Plus, he doesn't master the force. That happens between the end of empire strikes back and the jedi returns.

Storm Raven said:
My Empire Strikes Back question has always been this: according to the timeline, Luke gets to Dagobah, trains to be a Jedi, and then jets off to Bespin in the amount of time it takes for Han Solo, Leia, Chewie, and C-3PO to evade a bunch of Star Destroyers, fly to Bespin, and get captured.

This leaves what, six hours for Luke's Jedi training? Is that all it takes to master the force? A long afternoon of work?

But remember, the hyperdrive on the Falcon was not working, so they had to get from the asteroid field to Bespin at sublight speeds (or at a much slower FTL rate if you use the P&P backup hyperdrive rules). It could have taken weeks or longer.

Storm Raven

First Post
Ferret said:
Plus, he doesn't master the force. That happens between the end of empire strikes back and the jedi returns.

No it doesn't. In Jedi, Luke returns to Dagobah to complete his training, and the first thing Yoda tells him is that the last lesson he needs to learn is to confront Vader (didn't he do that already). As far as the movies are concerned, the last training he actually gets is before he leaves for Bespin.

Storm Raven

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
It could have taken weeks or longer.

It could have, but then it would have been remarked upon by someone. (Like when they show up on Bespin Solo saying something like "man, we've been cramped in that ship for weeks"). And the Solo-Leia story should have advanced further while they were cramped in close proximity for weeks. But it didn't.

So we are left with Luke learning the ways of the force in a hard-driving afternoon session.

John Crichton

First Post
Storm Raven said:
It could have, but then it would have been remarked upon by someone. (Like when they show up on Bespin Solo saying something like "man, we've been cramped in that ship for weeks"). And the Solo-Leia story should have advanced further while they were cramped in close proximity for weeks. But it didn't.

So we are left with Luke learning the ways of the force in a hard-driving afternoon session.
That's only one way to look at it. It's also the most illogical. As mentioned the faster-than-light engine wasn't working. That's enough for me. It probably took weeks even if Bespin was "nearby."

And what do you mean by "advanced further?" She fell in love with him. What more do you want?

Storm Raven

First Post
John Crichton said:
That's only one way to look at it. It's also the most illogical. As mentioned the faster-than-light engine wasn't working. That's enough for me. It probably took weeks even if Bespin was "nearby."

Except that in the context of the movie they don't illustrate anything that would indicate that the journey took any longer than a few hours. Which one would expect if they had been crammed together in the confines of the Millenium Falcon. Something like "I've been on the ship for weeks, I need a drink" or something like that.

And what do you mean by "advanced further?" She fell in love with him. What more do you want?

She fell in love with him in the first couple of sequences while they were still being chased by Star Destroyers. Maybe they would have, say, acted upon their feelings in the supposed weeks they spent on the ship. Maybe they would have progressed to the point where it wasn't a huge revelation that Leia tells Solo "I love you" just as he is about to be frozen. Sorry, there is just nothing about the timeline as presented in the movie indicates that they spent any significant amount of time traveling.

Remove ads