Luke’s X-Wing?

Ferret

Explorer
That things going to be designed to withstand space, you'd think it would have an air tight hull? I think that might hold out swamp...juices for at least a while.

Captain Tagon

First Post
Well, with a modern Glock handgun you can bury it, run over it, soak it in water, and do all sorts of crazy other things to it and it still fires once you simply clean it up. An X-Wing seems a bit more advanced.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Actually Luke ordered a new one over his com-link and had it delivered. He gave Yoda the broken wet one. Then Luke lost the new one in Cloud City and has to order a third one for RotJ. Lucas thought about adding the scene where Luke gets repremanded for losing spaceships and decided against it. Instead he has Darth lose lightsabers at the same pace and makes sure the character takes note of it. After that it is up to the viewer to draw the parallel between father and sons tendancy to lose important things.

You'd think that given Luke's track record, the Alliance would be reluctant to give him another ship.

Landspeeder -- sold it for less than it was worth
X-Wing in Star Wars -- returned but shot up
Taun-taun - eaten
Snowspeeder -- crashed
X-Wing on Dagobah - crashed
X-Wing on Bespin - captured by Empire
Speederbike - crashed.

Best pilot in the galaxy my butt.

Peterson

First Post
John Crichton said:
You missed the key words in my "theory": by remote. Plug him into the Falcon's computers, get them to agree to hack into the X-wing's systems to fire up the old X-wing and send it on it's way. That big-ass radar dish had to be used for something besides getting knocked off at the end of Jedi.

I never said it was a good theory. :)

This might be showing how much of a geek I can be, but if I remember correctly, that "big-ass radar dish" was for terrain-mapping for when Han did those cool, fly as close to the ground as possible and lose the Custom Agents stunts.

Also, I echo the "greatest pilot" comment above.

Peterson

Captain Howdy

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
So how did he get it back? Or was he issued another one for Return of the Jedi and subsequent Expanded Universe stories (and told not to crash this one into swamp worlds and not to leave it where those bully’s in the Galactic Empire could find it?)

When Luke got back and remembered that he left the X-Wing in Cloud City, he used the force... He closed his eyes and acted constipated for probably five minues, then when he opened them, the X-Wing was gliding to the ground in front of him. It's true.
Anytime there is a discrepancy in the Star Wars movies, just use the force as an exuse to explain it. Nobody can argue.

der_kluge

Adventurer
My favorite inconsistency is the scene in IV when Han and the others are hiding in the falcon after being brought into the Death Star. The stormtroopers go into the Falcon, get blasted by Luke and Han, and they then remove their armor.

Now, why is it that they come out with brand new armor on? No blast marks, no scorch marks or anything. Perfectly white without a scratch.

You also never hear about the guy piloting that Y-Wing at the end of A New Hope. After the death star is destroyed, Wedge, Luke, and the Millenium Falcon all return back to base - along with some unidentified Y-Wing.

I had a friend that had a Star Wars character whose claim to fame was that he was the Y-Wing pilot. :)

Chun-tzu

First Post
Captain Howdy said:
Anytime there is a discrepancy in the Star Wars movies, just use the force as an exuse to explain it. Nobody can argue.

Frink: Yes, over here, m-hay, m-haven... in episode BF12, you were battling Barbarians while riding a winged Appaloosa yet in the very next scene my dear, you're clearly atop a winged Arabian! Please do explain it!
Lucy Lawless: Uh, yeah, well whenever you notice something like that.. a wizard did it!
Frink: Yes, alright, yes, in episode AG04..
Lucy Lawless: Wizard!

-Simpsons, Treehouse Of Horror X

die_kluge said:
My favorite inconsistency is the scene in IV when Han and the others are hiding in the falcon after being brought into the Death Star. The stormtroopers go into the Falcon, get blasted by Luke and Han, and they then remove their armor.

Now, why is it that they come out with brand new armor on? No blast marks, no scorch marks or anything. Perfectly white without a scratch.

You also never hear about the guy piloting that Y-Wing at the end of A New Hope. After the death star is destroyed, Wedge, Luke, and the Millenium Falcon all return back to base - along with some unidentified Y-Wing.

I had a friend that had a Star Wars character whose claim to fame was that he was the Y-Wing pilot. :)

They didn't shoot the stormtroopers -- Chewie beat them down. One of the troopers got off a couple shots before Chewie brained him -- that's the sound you hear.

shilsen

Adventurer
Boy, you guys are picky! I became a lot more accepting of discrepancies in movies and literature ever since I discovered that in The Winter's Tale Shakespeare had a character sail to Bohemia, which is a landlocked country :)

Remove ads