Luke’s X-Wing?

dreaded_beast

First Post
Storm Raven said:
So we are left with Luke learning the ways of the force in a hard-driving afternoon session.

That's what it felt like to me when Obi-Wan was training Luke aboard the Millenium Falcon during a New Hope. Now that felt like just a few hours.

John Crichton

First Post
Storm Raven said:
Except that in the context of the movie they don't illustrate anything that would indicate that the journey took any longer than a few hours. Which one would expect if they had been crammed together in the confines of the Millenium Falcon. Something like "I've been on the ship for weeks, I need a drink" or something like that.
It's really a matter of opinion and we disagree. There is enough in the movie for me to see enough time passing for Luke's training and the trip to Cloud City. And considering that all movies gloss over travel times (see Fellowship of the Ring) and it is somewhat ambiguous at best in general. You have to look at more than what is being shown or just give it a pass. To make a conclusive jump assuming that some amount of time that has passed considering that in the films time is never an issue nor ever addressed is the mindset that I come from. Luke trained, it took time. Thusly, the trip to Bespin took a chunk of time as well to make up for it. It is muddled? Yup, but it doesn't bug me.

I can make my own conclusions as to how much time passed.

Storm Raven said:
She fell in love with him in the first couple of sequences while they were still being chased by Star Destroyers. Maybe they would have, say, acted upon their feelings in the supposed weeks they spent on the ship. Maybe they would have progressed to the point where it wasn't a huge revelation that Leia tells Solo "I love you" just as he is about to be frozen. Sorry, there is just nothing about the timeline as presented in the movie indicates that they spent any significant amount of time traveling.
Who's to say they didn't consumate their relationship on the way? The "I love you" was just punctuation and something a girlfriend would say to her boyfriend when he is going away for a while (or, ya know, gonna die).

And again, I don't need them hopping out of the Falcon needing to stretch their legs and take a whiz to show me that they have been aboard the ship for a while. And you also have to remember that the ship isn't exactly small. There is plenty of space aboard to walk around, play a game of holo-chess or practice with a lightsaber.

Plus, it's essentially an action movie. We aren't supposed to care about these kinds of things unless we are nitpicking. ;)

Shall we agree to disagree?

Captain Howdy

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
So is that the secret to the Force? Acting constipated for probably five minues? Then I've been doing it wrong. That explains my poor results.

Yeah... Well minues are basically force's equivalent to minutes. If you knew that, you would have been a jedi by now... sheesh.

Remove ads