D&D General Luke Gygax Brings Back Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg

Luke Gygax is bringing back his father's creations starting with the Castle Zagyg.

Luke Gygax is bringing back his father's creations starting with the Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh Campaign Setting. Written by Gary Gygax and first published by Troll Lord Games in 2005 and dropped from publication in 2008. It is available now in preorder. The intent is to ship in September/October.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 11.23.43 PM.png

For the near future this is the first of three planned products, the second being The Hermit followed up by the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds series, probably via Kickstarter or other crowdfunder, maybe in January. The executor of the estate seems to have granted access to just these things so far. If they do well then more will be available and Luke intends to get the entirety of the Castle printed.

If you preorder the Yggsburgh book you will get a PDF and a docx with conversion notes to D&D 5E. The book is as it was in 2008 and they currently intend to leave it that way, other than updating the PDF via new software, and change the logo on the cover and the product number on the spine.

They intend to make the PDF available as a separate product, via their store and DriveThrRPG.

This book uses Castles & Crusades as its system--you can get the 7th edition Player's Handbook in PDF for free.

Other items mentioned:
  • They don't intend to print Gary's notes, as his wishes were they not to be published.
  • They will see about other creations of Gary's if they can show the executor of the estate they are good stewards. Good sales will absolutely work towards that goal.
  • Luke doesn't want to attach this to anything he's doing separately, like his own setting.
  • Gord the Rogue books are also on the list of things they'd like to bring back.

The transcript of the youtube video is in the spoiler block.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yeah, I remember that.

I also remember thinking that Gary seemed... reluctant to actually publish the dungeons. Possibly because his original notes had a lot of zany stuff that he didn't necessarily want shared out in publication. I think Rob Kuntz was brought on to the project at one point as well?
If you look at Gygax's history with D&D, most of his products are significantly revised from the original versions. The World of Greyhawk, The Village of Hommlet, etc. (The Temple of Elemental Evil was originally a randomly generated dungeon).

I'd expect many of his original notes on a dungeon room to be incredibly brief. (I've been reading the Lost Dungeons of Tonisborg, and that is not how a modern audience would expect an adventure to be published).

It might be brief in its original form, but brief is not how I'd describe Gygax's published work in most instances.

Rob Kuntz was part of the project in the start - which led to Dark Chateau, which I very much enjoyed running - but diverged relatively early on with disagreements with Gygax on how the project should proceed as well as a lot of significant delays. A lot of people were brought on to release lots of "Yggsburgh district" supplements - most of which were still in the pipeline when the license was withdrawn.

2003: Project begins
2004: Gary Gygax has two strokes
2005: Yggsburgh Campaign Setting and Dark Chateau released
2007: The East Mark Gazetteer (preview product for The Upper Works) released
2008: Gary Gygax dies
2008: The Upper Works released.

I think I have that timeline correct.

Cheers,
Merric

Moorcrys

Explorer
If you look at Gygax's history with D&D, most of his products are significantly revised from the original versions. The World of Greyhawk, The Village of Hommlet, etc. (The Temple of Elemental Evil was originally a randomly generated dungeon).

I'd expect many of his original notes on a dungeon room to be incredibly brief. (I've been reading the Lost Dungeons of Tonisborg, and that is not how a modern audience would expect an adventure to be published).

It might be brief in its original form, but brief is not how I'd describe Gygax's published work in most instances.

Rob Kuntz was part of the project in the start - which led to Dark Chateau, which I very much enjoyed running - but diverged relatively early on with disagreements with Gygax on how the project should proceed as well as a lot of significant delays. A lot of people were brought on to release lots of "Yggsburgh district" supplements - most of which were still in the pipeline when the license was withdrawn.

2003: Project begins
2004: Gary Gygax has two strokes
2005: Yggsburgh Campaign Setting and Dark Chateau released
2008: Gary Gygax dies
2008: The Upper Works released.

I think I have that timeline correct.

Cheers,
Merric

It was a long time ago but that seems pretty accurate. I had written three of them before the plug was pulled by the estate after his death. Jeff Talanian of Hyperborea fame was another and worked with Gary the closest/most of all the writers of that project and was tapped by Gary to help him get the entire former Castle Greyhawk dungeon converted to Yggsburgh/C&C and in publishing shape.

It was a nice group of people and I was sad to see the product of everyone’s enthusiasm and hard work get shelved. Regardless, I was grateful to have a chance to work with Gary for a time.

I’m glad to see something happening with his last project.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Perforce, as a dry text devoid of many and varied adjectives and adverbs, is basically held to be the antithesis of weal.

This is actually two products in one: a gazetteer of the region and Caves of Madness which is a dungeon that is also part of the Upper Works boxed set.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Troll Lords wrote a summary of what has happened and what they are doing and working towards and planning. Not much new if anything but it’s nice to have it from the source all in one place. Gary Gygax, The Estates, and Troll Lord Games
I guess it makes sense that the green light finally came from the courts, looking to pay off the Gygax estate's debts.

That doesn't suggest that new stuff is coming beyond what TLG has already published in the past, but it'll be nice to have that stuff again, at least.

Remove ads

Remove ads