D&D General Luke Gygax Brings Back Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg

Luke Gygax is bringing back his father's creations starting with the Castle Zagyg.

Luke Gygax is bringing back his father's creations starting with the Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh Campaign Setting. Written by Gary Gygax and first published by Troll Lord Games in 2005 and dropped from publication in 2008. It is available now in preorder. The intent is to ship in September/October.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 11.23.43 PM.png

For the near future this is the first of three planned products, the second being The Hermit followed up by the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds series, probably via Kickstarter or other crowdfunder, maybe in January. The executor of the estate seems to have granted access to just these things so far. If they do well then more will be available and Luke intends to get the entirety of the Castle printed.

If you preorder the Yggsburgh book you will get a PDF and a docx with conversion notes to D&D 5E. The book is as it was in 2008 and they currently intend to leave it that way, other than updating the PDF via new software, and change the logo on the cover and the product number on the spine.

They intend to make the PDF available as a separate product, via their store and DriveThrRPG.

This book uses Castles & Crusades as its system--you can get the 7th edition Player's Handbook in PDF for free.

Other items mentioned:
  • They don't intend to print Gary's notes, as his wishes were they not to be published.
  • They will see about other creations of Gary's if they can show the executor of the estate they are good stewards. Good sales will absolutely work towards that goal.
  • Luke doesn't want to attach this to anything he's doing separately, like his own setting.
  • Gord the Rogue books are also on the list of things they'd like to bring back.

The transcript of the youtube video is in the spoiler block.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
I asked Steve on the recent twitch if Yggsburgh would get an update w/errata and so forth. he stated that they would like to do that in the future, but the lawyer over looking the estate wanted to see if there was enough demand for the initial product, as came out originally, that could help pay the dept of the estate. Hence the 90 & 120 day plan Steve gave them. Once the products are out and results are in (whenever the next scheduled update/review is with the executioner) then TLG can move forward with the other parts as well as fixing the originals. That's part of the reason everything didn't become available at once. The estate lawyer is the final say on who releases what.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I asked Steve on the recent twitch if Yggsburgh would get an update w/errata and so forth. he stated that they would like to do that in the future, but the lawyer over looking the estate wanted to see if there was enough demand for the initial product, as came out originally, that could help pay the dept of the estate. Hence the 90 & 120 day plan Steve gave them. Once the products are out and results are in (whenever the next scheduled update/review is with the executioner) then TLG can move forward with the other parts as well as fixing the originals. That's part of the reason everything didn't become available at once. The estate lawyer is the final say on who releases what.
That's what I was hoping. And given they blew through the 90 & 120 day goals within 72 hours, future looks bright.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
Correct. I can't remember if it's the twitch or Youtube but Steve said they were ordered to destroy the original copies they printed (hence the refunds) but the digital copies were held on to. Now, those copies are setup w/20 yr old software so it will need to be updated but the digital Yggsburgh was updated. And, according to Luke, his father gave him a fair amount direction on what to do w/unfinished Zagyg when he was gone. It won't be perfect Castle Greyh, err I mean Zagyg but as close as you're going to get at this point.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Although I get that some folks are big into the historical document aspect -- heck, I own all six copies of Goodman's OAR books -- I think just having a reasonable facsimile of the dungeon, guided as much as possible by one or more Gygaxes, is good enough for me. Unless we time travel back to Lake Geneva and document everything in detail, it was never going to be 100% accurate, especially considering that things changed sometimes multiple times a week.

Last edited:

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Consultant fees (sorting through all the material by experts), other professional services, lots of lunches with the lawyers...
You gotta have every document notarized, and that can add up way faster than you'd think. (AAA membership helps!)

I suspect the lawyer alone is very expensive for this, as they are overseeing it on the regular, from the sounds of things.

Remove ads

Remove ads